Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Yay for local friends!

  1. #1
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193

    Yay for local friends!

    As much as I love you guys, it's nice to hang out with edge folks in person.

    Since I've moved to Phoenix, I've felt a bit lost without my scene. I've met ONE edge person and he ended up being a total jerk. I've even created a profile on meetup.com to connect with straightedge a/o vegan folks, but I've only met people who use the site as a dating service or just want to have potlucks but never follow through with the plans. (It's been years since I've used the site, so maybe things have changed. I do see that there are about 10 people who are waiting to form a straightedge group, but I'm not willing to pay the organizer dues.

    Anyway, a few months ago the guys roller derby team had a bout with the San Diego guys. One of them was proudly displaying his straightedge gear at the after party, so naturally I convinced my friends to sit at his table. Well, guess who was at the skate shop yesterday afternoon? It turns out he moved to Phoenix recently and will be skating with the guys team. Now I have someone else to bear the awful after-parties with! (Skaters have to show up for at least an hour to fulfill our "after-party contract" with the bar owner.)

  2. #2
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    And to continue the conversation with myself...

    One of our new referees is edge too. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to him much, but he's got the knuckle tats. It seems derby is finally pulling edge folks out of the woodwork.

  3. #3
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    And to continue the conversation with myself...

    One of our new referees is edge too. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to him much, but he's got the knuckle tats. It seems derby is finally pulling edge folks out of the woodwork.
    that's awesome. I only run into people now that think I'm either a freak or a priest because I don't drink. It is fun finding undercover former punks though.

  4. #4
    Token Canadian mouseman004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pickering/Waterloo, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    that's awesome. I only run into people now that think I'm either a freak or a priest because I don't drink. It is fun finding undercover former punks though.
    Finding undercover former punks is always fun. When I was doing my Master's last year, I found out that one of the Professors in the department (who comes across as one of the geekiest men I've ever met) is actually huge into hardcore and punk. I actually borrowed a minutemen documentary dvd from him, and he is huge into minor threat and fugazi. It was a pleasant surprise.
    Later Days

  5. #5
    Token Canadian mouseman004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pickering/Waterloo, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    As much as I love you guys, it's nice to hang out with edge folks in person.

    Since I've moved to Phoenix, I've felt a bit lost without my scene. I've met ONE edge person and he ended up being a total jerk. I've even created a profile on meetup.com to connect with straightedge a/o vegan folks, but I've only met people who use the site as a dating service or just want to have potlucks but never follow through with the plans. (It's been years since I've used the site, so maybe things have changed. I do see that there are about 10 people who are waiting to form a straightedge group, but I'm not willing to pay the organizer dues.

    Anyway, a few months ago the guys roller derby team had a bout with the San Diego guys. One of them was proudly displaying his straightedge gear at the after party, so naturally I convinced my friends to sit at his table. Well, guess who was at the skate shop yesterday afternoon? It turns out he moved to Phoenix recently and will be skating with the guys team. Now I have someone else to bear the awful after-parties with! (Skaters have to show up for at least an hour to fulfill our "after-party contract" with the bar owner.)
    It is always nice when you can find someone with similar interests. Obviously not being edge myself, I don't necessarily go looking for edge friends, but it is always nice to find someone who actually knows what straight edge is, or someone who is actually into hardcore. For the most part I tend to go to shows alone because I don't know many people who are into the same music that I am. So I can imagine it is nice for you to find someone who is edge who you can hang out with and relate to.
    Later Days

  6. #6
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    that's awesome. I only run into people now that think I'm either a freak or a priest because I don't drink. It is fun finding undercover former punks though.
    I get asked if I'm Mormon a lot around here.

    @Mouseman - Yeah, I like to see how all the punk kids have grown up too. ;)

  7. #7
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    I get asked if I'm Mormon a lot around here.

    @Mouseman - Yeah, I like to see how all the punk kids have grown up too. ;)
    yeah it was awesome, last week at a work dinner dudes were doing shots between appetizers and the entree. the ringleader decided that I must be a recovering alcoholic and not you know, not an idiot.

  8. #8
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    yeah it was awesome, last week at a work dinner dudes were doing shots between appetizers and the entree. the ringleader decided that I must be a recovering alcoholic and not you know, not an idiot.
    I get asked why i don't drink so often i respond automatically without even noticing i have been asked, i usually seem to find myself asking why they do drink. No one has ever thought i was a priest but a friend of mine did convince people i was the head of a religious cult once!
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  9. #9
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    Follow-up: The ref is an asshole. He told me I shouldn't be with my husband because he's not sxe. Positive note- the sxe skater is sweet (and vegan).

    Anyway, getting to know these two have made me homesick. Er, I guess nostalgic would be a better word since most of my old edge friends have either moved or sold out. :/

  10. #10
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DC area
    Posts
    465
    was the ref being serious?? thats your fucking husband! not cool ref!
    My support has no conditions, I will always have your back.

  11. #11
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    Yes, he was quite serious and I quite seriously told him to fuck off.

  12. #12
    Taxi Driver Lifestyle_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,190
    I totally missed this thread! I also hate the explaining part, but then again, people don't get really into it. Most of the times they accept it.
    Family can be a bummer sometimes, my dad always worked for breweries and there's also a brewery in the family. So the reactions are a bit harsh from time to time. I can't understand why people care so much about me not drinking.

    And a prof that's an undercover punk, that's great!
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

    visit http://www.z-spot.be/
    Z-spot Gaming community
    No Ego's, no "pwnage", just gaming

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •