Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maturity

Maturity

This is a way I feel sometimes and now I am going to write about it.

I think by not drinking and doing something that I value in the face of adversity and pressure to do otherwise is something of a mature thing to do.

However most people I interact with, from older adults to friends to acquaintances, are always insinuating that by not drinking I am really being a little kid who likes to drink juice and stuff. They are always like "and an Orange Juice for you." And they say things like when you start drinking you;ll understand.

It is like I am not mature, I have not have not grown up or become stronger because i have not had experiences where I have gotten so drunk I've thrown up and passed out. I miss the right of passage and now I am like naive about the world and inexperienced.

It is something I feel that I have never really expressed before because I didn't think anyone would understand or that it was very important, but you know I thought people here might relate.

Quote Originally Posted by funwithpinetrees View Post

I think by not drinking and doing something that I value in the face of adversity and pressure to do otherwise is something of a mature thing to do.

However most people I interact with, from older adults to friends to acquaintances, are always insinuating that by not drinking I am really being a little kid who likes to drink juice and stuff. They are always like "and an Orange Juice for you." And they say things like when you start drinking you;ll understand.

It is like I am not mature, I have not have not grown up or become stronger because i have not had experiences where I have gotten so drunk I've thrown up and passed out. I miss the right of passage and now I am like naive about the world and inexperienced.

It is something I feel that I have never really expressed before because I didn't think anyone would understand or that it was very important, but you know I thought people here might relate.
    To start off, obviously everybody here is probably going to agree that being Straight Edge is a very mature, valuable, and smart choice to make...not that other choices aren't smart, but Straight Edge is still a smart choice to make.

A lot of adults who drink tend to act like that because they don't understand why you don't want to drink, especially if you are of age to. Because it is common for a person to live the generic way of "When I turn 21, I'm getting hammered, at least once if not all the time" ya know. So they don't get it, nor do they care. Now I'm not saying that this applies to everyone, but from my experiences and through the many many people I've met just like this, it seems to apply to a good amount of people who drink. They also probably think you are going through a phase, by saying things like "when you start drinking you'll understand". To me that either says, they look at you and think, "this kid thinks he is better than me, so I'll crack a joke and say 'and an orange juice for you'", type of thing, or they like a lot of people who drink think, actually think drinking is going to help their lives. Like when people around me say things of the same nature of "when you start drinking you'll understand", they think they have so many problems, and whether or not they do, they think drinking will solve that problem. Which is obviously a crutch of theirs, and a failure of a crutch at that, obviously because it is only temporary and does not make any problem go away, just stalls it while they are drunk.

Just because you have not had those experiences, doesn't mean you don't know wrong from right, you don't always have to experience something to see that is it obviously ridiculous, dumb, and wrong.

Just overlook, and ignore people when they say things of that nature, they are the ones acting immature.

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    i think in a way it's more mature to not drink, because you know better then get shitfaced. whether or not you've drank before.

Maturity is one thing wisdom is another. You can gain wisdom from doing things and learning why they are not really that great or you can make wise choices by avoiding doing things that really don't have anything much going for them in your eyes. As people mature they can gain wisdom about drinking and a lot will begin to drink more responsibly but only because they have learnt from alcoholic hammerings in the past. If you have observed this pattern and chosen that drinking isn't smart then i personally believe you have made a wise choice.

Younger people will often consider drinking and the world that comes with it a little bit of a rite of passage but you too will be constantly growing and learning about the world too, there is really very little they will learn that you won't.

I don't exactly see straightedge as an entirely mature concept, it does have youthful and almost naive focus at times but i feel its less naive than the lets get wasted approach and will transcend into sensilble and thought out behaviour a lot easier.

It sounds like you know some condescending adults, they are probably like that because somewhere along the line you are reflecting their behaviour back to them and this is an easy way to discard that. Its almost like a childlike response on their part, my advice is if faced with that kind of thing have a good think as to how they arrived at that thought and why they are needing to condescend you. It might just bring a smile to your face.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

I found the same thing when I decided not to drink, and I think this is a BIG part of the reason so many people go into it without even thinking.

In a lot of ways drinking is looked at pretty much like pubic hair, you grow up and it happens. When it doesn't happen it's like you haven't fully "developed" as an adult.

I think breaking that mindset would be a big step towards less people relying on or blindly accepting alcohol.

prank them or get them back someway when they are drunk
    make them look stupid and say something like "this is why i dont drink"
    i always do that to my friends lol

spineless and mindless. you flex your muscles and not your fucking head
    a deep man with a strong point made without one thoughtful word said?
    "huff and puff", the fierce fists will do the talking
    cant speak for yourself so your "crew"'s with you walking
    tell me whats worth fighting for...
    and it better be something greater than an evening of the score

boy, your true strength sleeps behind your eyes!
    I WALK FEARLESS COZ I'M ARMED WITH A MIND!

drug is a crutch.. they don't understand they don't need it... that's addiction (propably social in this case).. get used to it or take a marker to the party with you and when they're doomed, start tagging on their faces.. i guess they won't make a fun of you next time :-)
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

Yeah, I come across this mindset a lot from drinkers, I think it's easy enough to deflect or respond to though. Most soon realise though that you are sticking to your convictions, that it isn't just a 'phase' or whatever and eventually drop it. My brother hasn't reached this stage yet, but it's fine.

I have a similar problem, when I go out with my friends and they drunk they look like stupids who donīt realize about what they do, one of them even suffer an accident and went to the hospital, and all because he was drunk, and after that, He continue drinking alcohol (not that big quantity, but...) and he is always asking things about straight edge only for attack it (when he saw the discovery channel documentary of straight edge he said something like " you thought that straight edge is good but people of them attack the other people" or " I can imagine an straight edge party, all people saying that drugs are bad...e.t.c" and I canīt stand it, really.

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar

Bullshit. They're just as immature as they tell you you are.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxFerCm93xXx View Post
    I have a similar problem, when I go out with my friends and they drunk they look like stupids who donīt realize about what they do, one of them even suffer an accident and went to the hospital, and all because he was drunk, and after that, He continue drinking alcohol (not that big quantity, but...) and he is always asking things about straight edge only for attack it (when he saw the discovery channel documentary of straight edge he said something like " you thought that straight edge is good but people of them attack the other people" or " I can imagine an straight edge party, all people saying that drugs are bad...e.t.c" and I canīt stand it, really.
    Maybe you need new friends?

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex View Post
    Maybe you need new friends?
    This type of response annoys the living shit out of me.
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

Quote Originally Posted by D1988 View Post
    But no really I mean it. I've found that it's easier to find people who don't do things that majorly annoy or disappoint you rather than trying to change their ways or even bother asking them to (and there're high chances you won't be understood at all so...).

Quote Originally Posted by D1988 View Post
    my friends don't ditch on me for being edge, i hate 'friends' that constantly laugh at your face, call you names, ... and still consider you as a friend. the funny thing is, this is how they all treat their friends, and they think it's normal.
    but that's another thing, i would get new friends.. imo, mr. crucial dude is right :)
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

visit http://www.z-spot.be/
    Z-spot Gaming community
    No Ego's, no "pwnage", just gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Lifestyle_X View Post
    my friends don't ditch on me for being edge, i hate 'friends' that constantly laugh at your face, call you names, ... and still consider you as a friend. the funny thing is, this is how they all treat their friends, and they think it's normal.
    but that's another thing, i would get new friends.. imo, mr. crucial dude is right :)
    Amen brother!

Thread Information