Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling musicians

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar

Travelling musicians

I met this old guy just a little more than an hour ago. Name's Neil and he's from Edinburgh, Scotland; he came to my city to actually live here. He's a professional street musician, I'd say a showman too, he plays his little, golden sax and entertains crowd by his performance. Mostly Irish tunes, some jazz and rock'n'roll too. I still can't really wrap my mind around why would he come to all of the places in the world here.

Don't take me wrong, this place is really beautiful and many foreigners find local people really friendly and interesting. But drifting all the way from Scotland to southern most part of Ukraine? Something you don't really see happening every day.

So, yeah, I figured I'd share this and maybe this thread will go somewhere.

Maybe he wanted to get away from stuff back home, or just find a major change of scenery while continuing to play his music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Maybe he wanted to get away from stuff back home, or just find a major change of scenery while continuing to play his music.
    Yeah, it's just unusual!

Meet Neil Holmes!

This is how he looks in the street with his sax. I met him without his jacket on yesterday evening, it's hot here (xsecx wouldn't agree, though, but who cares anyway)

for those of you who read Russian click this link.

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex View Post
    Meet Neil Holmes!

This is how he looks in the street with his sax. I met him without his jacket on yesterday evening, it's hot here (xsecx wouldn't agree, though, but who cares anyway)

for those of you who read Russian click this link.
    the weather doesn't agree with you, you dufus.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    the weather doesn't agree with you, you dufus.
    Easy captain, you're getting over-emotional there!

Easy captain, you're getting over-emotional there!
    not really, just pointing out that you're insane and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    not really, just pointing out that you're insane and wrong.
    But dude, its hot enough to not wear a jacket!
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

I met this old guy just a little more than an hour ago. Name's Neil and he's from Edinburgh, Scotland; he came to my city to actually live here. He's a professional street musician, I'd say a showman too, he plays his little, golden sax and entertains crowd by his performance. Mostly Irish tunes, some jazz and rock'n'roll too. I still can't really wrap my mind around why would he come to all of the places in the world here.

Don't take me wrong, this place is really beautiful and many foreigners find local people really friendly and interesting. But drifting all the way from Scotland to southern most part of Ukraine? Something you don't really see happening every day.

So, yeah, I figured I'd share this and maybe this thread will go somewhere.

It really doesnt seem that odd to me, you guys have an international airport right? It makes sense to me that people see as much of the world as they can and the airport makes where you live easily accessible and its really pretty cheap to get there so theres not much to lose. And obviously you guys recently hosted the uefa euro 2012 which will have put ukraine as a whole as a destination to travel to in peoples minds. And just maybe after research your city appeals to people and perhaps local knowledge in other parts of your country suggest it as a place worth visiting. I think its probably something you will see more of.

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    It really doesnt seem that odd to me, you guys have an international airport right? It makes sense to me that people see as much of the world as they can and the airport makes where you live easily accessible and its really pretty cheap to get there so theres not much to lose. And obviously you guys recently hosted the uefa euro 2012 which will have put ukraine as a whole as a destination to travel to in peoples minds. And just maybe after research your city appeals to people and perhaps local knowledge in other parts of your country suggest it as a place worth visiting. I think its probably something you will see more of.
    Yeah, visiting is cool, actually moving here from Edinburgh is unusual.

Yeah, visiting is cool, actually moving here from Edinburgh is unusual.
    I know theres not to much point in posting this but how is moving to a place you visited and enjoyed unusual...especially at an older age when you have lived somewhere for a long time and want something different. I mean retiring abroad is hugely common. And when you live on a little wet island something as simple as weather can be enough of a factor to move for many...of course i'm sure you don't want to discuss the weather. It just really doesn't seem that much of a big deal to me, i mean in my office alone i work with people from Germany, Poland, Estonia, Pakistan, Turkey and portugal who have all moved here for different reasons and thats an office of 10 people, iam sure a lot of people from all over europe and russia and probably further a field move to your country.

I know theres not to much point in posting this but how is moving to a place you visited and enjoyed unusual...especially at an older age when you have lived somewhere for a long time and want something different. I mean retiring abroad is hugely common. And when you live on a little wet island something as simple as weather can be enough of a factor to move for many...of course i'm sure you don't want to discuss the weather. It just really doesn't seem that much of a big deal to me, i mean in my office alone i work with people from Germany, Poland, Estonia, Pakistan, Turkey and portugal who have all moved here for different reasons and thats an office of 10 people, iam sure a lot of people from all over europe and russia and probably further a field move to your country.
    How many people move from Scotland to Crimea, statistically speaking? Very few, and that means unusual, i.e. not commonly occurring on a regular basis/often (which would mean a usual thing otherwise).

How many people move from Scotland to Crimea, statistically speaking? Very few, and that means unusual, i.e. not commonly occurring on a regular basis/often (which would mean a usual thing otherwise).

Yeah but your issue is trying to get your head round why...which seems pretty damn straight forward. I'm not even suggesting that emigrating to your city is a common occurrence...that's just you shifting away from the initial remark to which i was commenting. I am saying its completely understandable and plausible that someone from Scotland or anywhere in fact could decide to move there. It is easy to get your head round that yet you state that you can't. The whole drive of my statement is that it makes perfect sense to do so not that it happens every day.

Just because it doesn't happen all the time does not make it hard to get your head round it just makes it less common but a completely understandable act. Like a solar eclipse, its not everyday, its sporadic yet we can comprehend it and get our heads round it perfectly well. Sure its comment worthy as it may not happen everyday as you say but it is so very simple to get your head around and i posted many simple reasons why it is perfectly understandable. The act of moving there is certainly not unusual, its an act that continues to happen at a measurable rate and that rate is increasing. It may be unusual in terms of how many people from Scotland have moved there but not unusual that someone from Scotland would want to and has...i was never disputing that it was something you don't see everyday just that it is totally fathomable.

I mean surely you can get your head round certain groups of immigrants being of a low number but still existing and it being perfectly fathomable? And you can surely understand that people from all over the world may find themselves there at some point and may choose to move there? What is it you can't get your head round if its not something i have already addressed?

The act of moving there is certainly not unusual, its an act that continues to happen at a measurable rate and that rate is increasing.
    Increasing? How do you know?

Increasing? How do you know?
    are you suggesting it isn't increasing?

Thread Information