Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I know most of you know how to read...

linsee
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    you'd really like fables. books with pictures are way better than books with just words.
    Nah, pictures always ruin the images I create in my head. That's probably why I would rather read the book than see the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by linsee View Post
    Nah, pictures always ruin the images I create in my head. That's probably why I would rather read the book than see the movie.
    i totally agree

yeah, but that's why comics are so much better, because they're original works that are completely set out to the creators vision. comics shouldn't be avoided just because they have pictures.

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    i like paul auster.
    and the adaptation to graphic novel of City of Glass was great.
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

It's funny when I read a comic, then see it made in some way for TV/movies I get kinda sad sometimes when the voices/actors don't match how I pictured the charachters in my head. I find that you end up putting your own stamp on the charachters even with the images there. There are some great stories written that way! From Hell by Alan Moore is a good one too, the drawing style is kind of lose, so it suggests, but you still have a lot to fill in yourself.

For book books I'm addicted to anything 18th century, I loved Evelina, for painting a picture of life back then in a way that is still funny and lively today! (been on a HUGE Frances Burney kick lately)

I recently read The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox, which I enjoyed. I'm also way into Fitzgerald and Dickens. Also, anyone who hasn't read Dune yet should really get on that. For fantasy nerds I recommend Joe Abercrombie's First Law series (first book is The Blade Itself) and George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (first book- a Game of Thrones)

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

My class is reading Ethan Frome and Romeo & Juliet. I'm a big Shakespeare nerd. We'll be reading Night, Speak and Julius Caesar later this semester. I actually like reading nonfiction, biographies, and psychology and socio-politico books.

Tolkien drives me nuts; I prefer the other Inkling, C.S. Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    yeah, but that's why comics are so much better, because they're original works that are completely set out to the creators vision. comics shouldn't be avoided just because they have pictures.
    true they shouldnt be avoided, but books with pictures are shite

***dig2***

7 months later...what is everyone reading?

I just finished The Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman and am currently reading Me Talk Pretty One Day and listening to Silent Spring (I have a 45 minute commute to work and don't want waste valuable time).

linsee
    Right now I am reading Vanished, by Kat Richardson. It's part of a series that she writes that is really interesting, about a person that can see into the "ghost" world that lives on top of our normal world.

I'm a super geek so I have a list on my phone of when upcoming books that I want come out, and there's a good 15 books on there, leading all the way up to the end of the year. I'm looking forward to the new Kelli Armstrong book that comes out at the end of September.

I figure I go through at least a book a week, if not two. Good thing I don't have a life.

Right now I am reading Vanished, by Kat Richardson. It's part of a series that she writes that is really interesting, about a person that can see into the "ghost" world that lives on top of our normal world.

I'm a super geek so I have a list on my phone of when upcoming books that I want come out, and there's a good 15 books on there, leading all the way up to the end of the year. I'm looking forward to the new Kelli Armstrong book that comes out at the end of September.

I figure I go through at least a book a week, if not two. Good thing I don't have a life.
    Wow girl! I'm not knowledgeable about modern authors. :/

I feel like I'm always trying to play catch up with the classics and the long lists that I received every summer 7th to 12th grade.

Recently I've read both Homicide and The Corner by David Simon. Boyd, Sweat And Beers, which is a diary of Peterborough United's promotion season as written by the fans, myself included. I'm now re-reading Preacher By Garth Ennis.

Read, The Hundred Penny Box. For some reason, I always loved this book growing up. Not very long, like a little less than a hundred pages I think. Good book. It's like a book meant for 3rd grade levels, but still good haha.

I'm rereading The Bell Jar at the moment. I want to find one of my fav quotes again so I have to read the book again. Haha. I love The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. Feed is one of my favorite books. I doubt many know that book. I also love the book Before I Die. Such a sad book but so moving. Anything with a very strong message is amazing. But once I start a book I can't put it down so I can usually read a book in a day. I also have to buy all of my books so that I can keep them all to remember what I've read. I have over 150 books that I read within a year probably. Now I just need money for new ones. Ha.
    Constant Work In Progress.

i'm half reading total immersion by terry laughlin, its a great insight into swimming easier and better and more effortlessly. Also on my pile of half read unfinished books is an old favourite i am reading again called beyond the known by tri thong dang...its a nice collection of martial arts/philosophical anecdotes. I am reading a bit more of my Derren brown book too called tricks of the mind, its a really fascinating book at times and at others not. But he has a new series comming out on TV so i thought i'd have a little look. Theres also a couple of unfinished books that i look at from time to time, one is and old book about auto suggestion by emile coue and another about non verbal communication.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Thread Information