Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: so many questions

so many questions

After careful and long pondering I have decided living an edge life is whats good for me at this point in my journey and plan to make it a life commitment. I was introduced to sxe like way back when I was 15 I am now 22, anyways.. I guess I feel like a total n00b about it all even though I know what the basics are.

I just am having a hard time trying to think about how none of my friends are edge, and how being friends with them might change and that sort of stuff. Also, I see a lot of people always broadcasting their lifestyle on facebook and all these social networking sites.. when someones claims, is that really necessary? I mean if its for yourself, do you need to broadcast it? Also, how do you deal with people scoughing at you, like I am 22 and I am just deciding now I want to take this path after drinking and experimenting with drugs up until this point.. this seems more like a freakin' blog then a question.

Sorry, just new to this all.
    Advice is appreciated.

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xupthepunxx View Post
    After careful and long pondering I have decided living an edge life is whats good for me at this point in my journey and plan to make it a life commitment. I was introduced to sxe like way back when I was 15 I am now 22, anyways.. I guess I feel like a total n00b about it all even though I know what the basics are.

I just am having a hard time trying to think about how none of my friends are edge, and how being friends with them might change and that sort of stuff. Also, I see a lot of people always broadcasting their lifestyle on facebook and all these social networking sites.. when someones claims, is that really necessary? I mean if its for yourself, do you need to broadcast it? Also, how do you deal with people scoughing at you, like I am 22 and I am just deciding now I want to take this path after drinking and experimenting with drugs up until this point.. this seems more like a freakin' blog then a question.

Sorry, just new to this all.
    Advice is appreciated.
    good to see you decide this, congratulations.

but lets see...
    none of your friends are edge... you know, i dont have many straight edge friends, the ones i hang out with arent edge, but it's okay, cause i am lucky enough to have good friends that respect and understan the way i am. so i'd say, if your friends are assholes who're going to give you shit about it, they shouldnt be your friends in the first place cause they clearly dont really care about you that much. it would be the same if you told them you're something else that they are not.

nothing is really necessary, you dont really need to go claiming anything anywhere, but even though this is not facebook and i wouldnt know if its a network, this message board is clearly a social place where most of us just talk about how we see things, you did now too! and its great!

and for the later part about scoughing and stuff, i got no clue what that means, language barrier i guess.

hope this works for ya!
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

Thanks I appreciate your opinion/advice..
    oh and scoughing, I meant like people kind of looking down upon it or thinking its a joke or that I won't last type deal.
    s'all good, thanks again man!

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    oh and scoughing, I meant like people kind of looking down upon it or thinking its a joke or that I won't last type deal.
    well, fuck them! what do they know.
    i just dont pay attention to that, and you shouldnt either.
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

haha, thanks again man.

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    welcome to the boards.
    you have to remember, that being straight edge is a positive thing, a lot of people want to promote it, which is cool. I only promote it by X-ing up at shows, it's not anything to be ashamed of to be ashamed of either.
    I'm sure a lot of people will try and bring you down, telling you how you're going to end up drinking in a couple of weeks/months, don't pay attention to them, only time will prove them wrong.

Being sXe is a positive choice for yourself, so as long as you know that you'll be fine. I have literally no Edge friends but it isn't a problem, to be honest my closest friends are not really drinkers or that kind of people anyway, but usually people have a sensible and open view about it, anyone that doesn't generally isn't worth giving the time of day to!

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Thanks for the support guys. I haven't really told anyone except I guess whoever reads my tumblr(blog) and I am already running into issues. Friends wedding this saturday and I have friends saying "I hope you're deciding to take this leap AFTER the wedding" I guess I just figured I might as well try to see how I can hold up against everyone else who is drinking etc.. I would like to try to live clean for a few months before I make any official claims to the outside world, inside I know what I want to do. But I figure if I can do it clean for a while and then come out with it all.

Thanks for the support guys. I haven't really told anyone except I guess whoever reads my tumblr(blog) and I am already running into issues. Friends wedding this saturday and I have friends saying "I hope you're deciding to take this leap AFTER the wedding" I guess I just figured I might as well try to see how I can hold up against everyone else who is drinking etc.. I would like to try to live clean for a few months before I make any official claims to the outside world, inside I know what I want to do. But I figure if I can do it clean for a while and then come out with it all.
    for me there was a LOT of peer pressure, I didn't have any edge friends when I decided to live like this, and nobody believed me, and I was offered drinks constantly, and mocked because of not drinking. you just have to remember why you wanted to make the choice of living clean. For me it wasn't really a problem because I never liked drinking and the effects of being drunk, if you enjoyed drinking, it might be harder. I'll say you'll have fun, maybe more fun than people who drink at the wedding, and about claiming edge - don't stress about it

Where in Canada are you?

I USED to enjoy drinking when I was younger ..and I am sure most people will be surprised me of all people is deciding to take this path, because I was always considered the life of the party and all that jazz, but thats just it.. I don't want that label at all. And my body physically can't handle it.. like at all. A simple night out just does me in, and I would like to utilize my weekends not spend them recovering. I don't want to go to this wedding anyways lol.. so not drinking will allow me to leave earlier anyways.

I live in Ontario, Kitchener right now.. moving to Toronto in exactly a month!

I USED to enjoy drinking when I was younger ..and I am sure most people will be surprised me of all people is deciding to take this path, because I was always considered the life of the party and all that jazz, but thats just it.. I don't want that label at all. And my body physically can't handle it.. like at all. A simple night out just does me in, and I would like to utilize my weekends not spend them recovering. I don't want to go to this wedding anyways lol.. so not drinking will allow me to leave earlier anyways.

I never really understood why people can't just be happy that someone is living sober. It always tends to be way more about their guilt about their own behavior than it is about you. Somehow by not drinking you're judging them for drinking, which usually isn't the case.

and that's just it, right? you are changing your lifestyle to benefit you. nobody else's opinion matters, because your decision only affects you.
    On the other hand, I can't see the connection between leaving early and not drinking.

Oh cool, there are a few canadians on here. I'm a future canadian myself, I'm getting married in Toronto in august and will move there next year. I can't wait.

Like the others said. It's a positive decision, if someone talks shit, don't care. You are living your life, a positive one and healthy. Be proud of it.
    Oh yeah, welcome !
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

visit http://www.z-spot.be/
    Z-spot Gaming community
    No Ego's, no "pwnage", just gaming

Welcome to the board!

I know exactly what you mean! We live in such a voyeuristic society, that oversharing is the norm now. People tend to look at someone oddly if they're a bit reserved. I don't want to greet someone with a list of my personal beliefs. It should come up naturally.

When it does come up, there will be plenty of questions and snide remarks. I would suggest calmly explaining your reasons for your decisions and leave it at that. Remind people that they don't need to make special accommodations for you; you'll be able to survive. The punch or soda at the wedding will suffice. ;)

haha so true, and thanks to everyone for such welcoming and honest remarks. I am pretty good at blocking out shitty people anyways (if they don't understand). My parents were so excited when I was talking to them about it.. that makes me sound like I was some alcoholic druggie, which rest assured I was not. I think they just were really proud of this decision to better my life.

And yes, Canada is pretty rad..very laid back. Congrats on the marriage and moving here, I will be in the same proximity as you.. I am moving to Mississauga in exactly 1 month, which if you arent aware it right beside Toronto!

Thanks again!

Thread Information