Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those who Break Edge...

Those who Break Edge...

I know I am the new guy, but I thought I would throw this out there cause it has been a big discussion between my edge friends and I. Those who break: can they reclaim and if so why? I know Edge is not a fashion statement or just words...but do people have the right to reclaim without harassment? Or is this a juvenile thought in the sense that it shouldn't matter whether or not you break and reclaim...it's the fact that you choose that lifestyle and do your best to maintain regardless if you make a mistake every now and then. My personal view is that once you claim it...you never go back. Some say that if you claim and break...you never were in the first place. Just a thought. I have had people argue that you can reclaim. I am new to this community, but I wanted to contribute. This probably has been discussed already somewhere so I apologize if this is old news.
    "Through thick and thin we've come this far, just to prove that this is who we are."

www.facebook.com/vicesmi

Quote Originally Posted by xBOBOx View Post
    I know I am the new guy, but I thought I would throw this out there cause it has been a big discussion between my edge friends and I. Those who break: can they reclaim and if so why? I know Edge is not a fashion statement or just words...but do people have the right to reclaim without harassment? Or is this a juvenile thought in the sense that it shouldn't matter whether or not you break and reclaim...it's the fact that you choose that lifestyle and do your best to maintain regardless if you make a mistake every now and then. My personal view is that once you claim it...you never go back. Some say that if you claim and break...you never were in the first place. Just a thought. I have had people argue that you can reclaim. I am new to this community, but I wanted to contribute. This probably has been discussed already somewhere so I apologize if this is old news.
    that whole if you are not now you never were makes me laugh so much. Its ridiculous. breaking edge is something that happens more often than not yet many of those that break edge have made amazing contributions to straightedge. many iconic bands, that made records that remain a prominent source of inspiration even today, are guilty of breaking edge. those records remain edge records, those times remain times where what those people were passionate about was straightedge. People break and sometimes its so odd when people come from being incredibly vocal about straightedge to then drinking a beer. It can feel like you dont know that person or at least not know them as well as you thought but its life, people change, ideas change, no one remains the same. I would personally argue that you can reclaim, you are free to feel that they are somehow no longer to be taken seriously and you are free to be non supportive of them in future but pressures can be tough and people can make mistakes even when they are edge and realise that and then reclaim. People have different approaches and different reasons and issues and unfortunately a lot of people will end up not being edge but thats always been the way. I personally make my judgements of those people and of all people based on more than simply being edge...i have no intention of changing your mind, i am happy for you to believe that straightedge is a one time deal and that people who break were somehow never edge. I have heard all the arguments for it and i am simply putting my angle in this thread so there is some form of contrast as its all too easy to get railroaded by single mindedness if there is no contrasting thought on the matter. Obviously i believe that my thoughts on this make more sense, i am happy in my reasoning on the matter and have never found a suitable or convincing argument for the one time deal or not now never were mindsets.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

No I definitely hear what your saying. I have friends that just broke recently and it hasn't changed our relationship. I guess I am just saying just for me it has to be a one time deal...although I know mistakes are prevalent and I make them every day....that's just one thing I have had to stick to w/out wandering. But yea in general, I agree with what you are saying. Straight Edge doesn't define a person. I just know what I have to do for me, but I definitely do not impose that on others. I try to encourage it, but everyone chooses their own path and I just need to keep myself on track...that's all. Good words. Thanks!
    "Through thick and thin we've come this far, just to prove that this is who we are."

www.facebook.com/vicesmi

that's a tough debate... but I have more or less the same opinion as straightXed. People change. And some people are just not strong enough to not make mistake. I think people usually deserve a second chance, so I guess it's the same thing here. You cannot deprive someone of the ability to claim straight edge, even if, for you, they're no longer (or never were) straight.

i think of it this way... if my friend dusty breaks edge (he wont but play along) do i want him to not be a part of sxe anymore? or do i want him to realize the mistakes he has made and rededicate his life to sxe? i want what is best for dusty and i will support him in any way i can and not chastise him for his mistakes. i will even go as far as to encourage him to change his life and get back to the sxe that has meant so much to him in his life. i dont understand this one time only rule, i know people dont want people to go back and forth and give sxe a bad name but ultimately dont we want people to realize that living a life free from drugs and alcohol is always the best choice? i personally dont want to be part of an exclusive gang that only allows the most 'true' because doesnt that encourage that whole gang mentality which has led sxe off in the wrong direction??
    My support has no conditions, I will always have your back.

Agreed. I am all for the betterment of people. In the end it's about what I can do to help. So encouraging others to keep up the good work and not get down if they make a mistake is so imperative. If I didn't have anyone doing that for me...I would be in a bad place.

www.facebook.com/vicesmi

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    i think of it this way... if my friend dusty breaks edge (he wont but play along) do i want him to not be a part of sxe anymore? or do i want him to realize the mistakes he has made and rededicate his life to sxe? i want what is best for dusty and i will support him in any way i can and not chastise him for his mistakes. i will even go as far as to encourage him to change his life and get back to the sxe that has meant so much to him in his life. i dont understand this one time only rule, i know people dont want people to go back and forth and give sxe a bad name but ultimately dont we want people to realize that living a life free from drugs and alcohol is always the best choice? i personally dont want to be part of an exclusive gang that only allows the most 'true' because doesnt that encourage that whole gang mentality which has led sxe off in the wrong direction??
    excellent outlook...
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    but I loves the drugz.

As long as you hide the track marks between your toes no one will notice!

www.facebook.com/vicesmi

As long as you hide the track marks between your toes no one will notice!
    yeah. but seriously. easy's right. it is all about making the world a better place and not getting pissed off when people change.

I guess I should reemphasize that for me I have to make it a one time choice; however, if I make a mistake I would go back and do my best to follow those guidelines. I should of added in the beginning that it's all about trying and doing your best to follow whatever helps you live a healthy clean lifestyle. It sucks when people break, but like I said, I have friends that just broke and I don't see them differently. It's important for a lot of people to realize that being Edge does not mean you can put yourself on a pedestal. I have friends that do that and I know a lot of Edge people that do that. But yea, totally agree with what you guys are saying!

www.facebook.com/vicesmi

I guess I should reemphasize that for me I have to make it a one time choice; however, if I make a mistake I would go back and do my best to follow those guidelines. I should of added in the beginning that it's all about trying and doing your best to follow whatever helps you live a healthy clean lifestyle. It sucks when people break, but like I said, I have friends that just broke and I don't see them differently. It's important for a lot of people to realize that being Edge does not mean you can put yourself on a pedestal. I have friends that do that and I know a lot of Edge people that do that. But yea, totally agree with what you guys are saying!
    Sounds like with this post its not as much of a one time thing as you make out.

I like the idea of.. if you break edge, you were never edge. therefore, fuck you. =]
    Add my band on myspace:
    www.myspace.com/down2asunlesssea

Till the fucking end my x's go!

Quote Originally Posted by SXE_SMITTY View Post
    I like the idea of.. if you break edge, you were never edge. therefore, fuck you. =]
    Well articulated, you certainly prove it to be the stance of those that can use reasoning and put forward an elloquent and flawless argument.

Just being on the other side of this:
    I claimed when I was 14 and broke when I was 22. I claimed for all the wrong reasons, edge become a crutch for me...something for me to hide behind. At 14 I didn't know who I was, and while other kids were changing I didn't. I stood behind my wall of "F you" basically. Meanwhile instead of drinking, doing drugs, smoking like others I was cutting, suicidal, a pathological liar, and one of those crazy violent kids in the mosh pit, Sound familiar to any other edge kids you know? Cause I have known quite a few... though who knows where they are now in life.
    My dad committed suicide and there was no turning back: time to take on the personal stuff, I was not going to be like him:
    "wake up and live
    it takes some motivation It takes some love for life
    why just sit complacent and let life pass you by
    boredom is a choice I choose not to make
    unlock that door, strive for more
    there's a better path to take" -Youth of Today
    Found a better path...realized that I was using edge for all the wrong reasons. Its not a veil, it is a better path just not the path I needed to be on.

I decided it was time to break with something I held onto, My first drink was when i was 22, with my husband on our anniversary. I still drink socially at business functions (and prefer not to do that). Never smoked, never done any drugs...its not me.

Claiming again, who knows: I want to be a positive role model for my future kids one day. Edge is a philosophy I want them to ask about. Or at least when they are rocking out to Minor Threat I want them to ask " Mommy, what is the Straight Edge?" , because it will be in their vocabulary. Coming from me, its a struggling choice that revolves around the business that I want to be in and the personal philosophy that I hold. I think that is a good enough reason to one day do it if I choose. I know what I lost and what I would be gaining back.

Thread Information