Thread: Need some good ol' straight edge brother pep talk.

Need some good ol' straight edge brother pep talk.

I am 15, and I recently had surgery. My surgeon told me I needed Oxycodone for pain, and I insisted I would be fine. I really did not want to use narcotics. I ended up actually needing them as I was in horrible pain. Now, fast forwarded about 2 weeks, I am addicted to the Oxycodone, which is a synthetic opiate. I am weaning this weak but it is hard, and the drug makes me think such non-straight edge things. I am slipping from my straight edge love, I need some good straight edge advice/pep talks/inspiration to get me through withdrawl and cravings.

Quote Originally Posted by RBpunk View Post
    I am 15, and I recently had surgery. My surgeon told me I needed Oxycodone for pain, and I insisted I would be fine. I really did not want to use narcotics. I ended up actually needing them as I was in horrible pain. Now, fast forwarded about 2 weeks, I am addicted to the Oxycodone, which is a synthetic opiate. I am weaning this weak but it is hard, and the drug makes me think such non-straight edge things. I am slipping from my straight edge love, I need some good straight edge advice/pep talks/inspiration to get me through withdrawl and cravings.
    It's essentially heroin. Do you have a history of addiction?

Hey RB,

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. My sister works in a rehab center and says that you'll need to slowly ween yourself off Oxycodone. Do not go cold turkey! Since you're a minor, I would also suggest telling your parents right away and contact your doctor. Your doctor might prescribe buprenorphine, which can be used to counter opiate addiction. I hate suggesting one drug to battle another, but it's typically a short detox program that will have you clean in 6-8 weeks.

Remember that this is just a short period of time, a transition, and anyone who cares about you will not judge you as "losing edge." We all have slip-ups and difficult times in our lives. Be strong and keep working toward your goal of a clean life.

XXX
    Carla

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    It's essentially heroin. Do you have a history of addiction?
    I do not, but I have a very habit forming personality.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    Hey RB,

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. My sister works in a rehab center and says that you'll need to slowly ween yourself off Oxycodone. Do not go cold turkey! Since you're a minor, I would also suggest telling your parents right away and contact your doctor. Your doctor might prescribe buprenorphine, which can be used to counter opiate addiction. I hate suggesting one drug to battle another, but it's typically a short detox program that will have you clean in 6-8 weeks.

Remember that this is just a short period of time, a transition, and anyone who cares about you will not judge you as "losing edge." We all have slip-ups and difficult times in our lives. Be strong and keep working toward your goal of a clean life.

XXX
    Carla
    Oh thanks! I tried cold turkey a couple times and realized right away each time that that's not the answer. We have come up with a weening plan for this week, as I have been naturally weening ever since my pain started going away, so luckily a week is all I need (I hope). Friday will be my last day of taking any. I think I'll just ween and then quit, or at least I hope it'll be that simple.

Oh good. I also hope it's that simple for you.

Remember that there are straightedge brothers AND sisters out here to offer support.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    Oh good. I also hope it's that simple for you.

Remember that there are straightedge brothers AND sisters out here to offer support.
    Oh sorry :p it wasn't anything sexist, I was just speaking generally with the title.

All in good humor. :D

Thread Information