Thread: Trying, but it's hard not to ...

Trying, but it's hard not to ...

I try not to get so angry and upset myself over people online who condone dope and such but I constantly fail. I know such hatred is unhealthy but I just can't help it somehow. ARGH!

linsee
    If we were all the same life would be terribly boring.

While I understand disliking drugs or alcohol, and not wanting to be around it, it's hard to dislike someone for using these things. There are good people out there that drink. There are good people out there that smoke pot. Just like there are shitty straight edge people. Open your mind, stop being so angry!

That's just one of the few things that really pisses me off though. Generally I'm not an angry hateful person.

But to me "opening my mind" would be accepting it as being okay. And it's not to me. So I cannot be "open minded" about it.
    Last edited by Cubey; 03-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.

linsee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    But to me "opening my mind" would be accepting it as being okay. And it's not to me. So I cannot be "open minded" about it.
    so what you're telling me is that you think everyone should abstain for drugs and alcohol?

do you hate people in your life for doing those things?

To some extent, yes.

Smoking is the main thing I hate. (cigarettes, dope, anything). None of my friends smoke. Not only do I hate it but it makes me sick to even smell it on them. They literally stink. Only people off hand I know of that smokes is my brother and his wife... and his wife's entire family. None of which I go around other than to get paid for fixing their PCs sometimes.

A glass of wine here and there doesn't bother me if someone does that. But I don't care for beer drinkers at all.
    Last edited by Cubey; 03-18-2012 at 10:24 PM.

To some extent, yes.

Smoking is the main thing I hate. (cigarettes, dope, anything). None of my friends smoke. Not only do I hate it but it makes me sick to even smell it on them. They literally stink. Only people off hand I know of that smokes is my brother and his wife... and his wife's entire family. None of which I go around other than to get paid for fixing their PCs sometimes.

A glass of wine here and there doesn't bother me if someone does that. But I don't care for beer drinkers at all.
    You just need to focus a lot less on what other people choose to do with their lives and focus on what you want to do with yours. Hating people for drinking is really no different than people who drink hating you because you are straight edge. Be happy with your own choices and don't fret over the choices that others make.

I am just curious, why are you okay with wine drinkers, but not okay with beer drinkers?
    Later Days

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman004 View Post
    You just need to focus a lot less on what other people choose to do with their lives and focus on what you want to do with yours. Hating people for drinking is really no different than people who drink hating you because you are straight edge. Be happy with your own choices and don't fret over the choices that others make.

I am just curious, why are you okay with wine drinkers, but not okay with beer drinkers?
    Beer drinkers are more opt to get drunk, at least around here.

I don't sit around thinking about how I hate it... it's more that you can't hardly go anywhere online without people talking about smoking, drinking or dug use. And I am sick to death of it. It seems like it's getting worse over the years. Makes me just want to smack them upside the head and scream at them "SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY!!"

linsee

I don't sit around thinking about how I hate it... it's more that you can't hardly go anywhere online without people talking about smoking, drinking or dug use. And I am sick to death of it. It seems like it's getting worse over the years. Makes me just want to smack them upside the head and scream at them "SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY!!"

Just like they might want to scream shut up at you when you talk about straight edge.

I think mouseman said it very well, focus less on what others do and focus more on what you choose to do.

There's a large difference.

I don't enter a chat room and randomly start saying how I'm Straight Edge and I hate drugs blah blah.

Yet people DO enter chats and star talking about what they're drinking, what they're out of, how they need to go smoke.. whatever.

Most of the time I say nothing but I am getting sick and tired of it!

Just as people would be sick and tired if I announced I was straight edge every day when I was in the middle of a conversation about something else.

Let it be, oh let it be. Nothing you can do to stop it.
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

visit http://www.z-spot.be/
    Z-spot Gaming community
    No Ego's, no "pwnage", just gaming

There's a large difference.

I don't enter a chat room and randomly start saying how I'm Straight Edge and I hate drugs blah blah.

Yet people DO enter chats and star talking about what they're drinking, what they're out of, how they need to go smoke.. whatever.

Most of the time I say nothing but I am getting sick and tired of it!

Just as people would be sick and tired if I announced I was straight edge every day when I was in the middle of a conversation about something else.
    you're right, it's not the same thing. People don't sit around and talk about how they didn't get fucked up last night. "bro killer night dude. I hung out with the boys and we just played some xbox sober as fuck. it was awesome"

It's part of being a minority, the majority gets their way and we don't. All we can do is try and change peoples minds and lifestyles bit by bit.

I don't expect to be able to change people's lives, at least not much.

Someone last night after having a nice normal long discussion about a few things randomly asks me if I smoke dope. To which I tried to be decent about it as much as I could.. I said no and that I hate it.. blahblah he kept going on about it then got offended when i finally started getting mad about it. So I ended up just ignoring him.

Around 2002'ish. I used to talk to some teen who was I'm guessing about 15'ish at the time about anime and stuff. Anyhow he brought up the subject of smoking dope one day I lectured him thoroughly about it, saying it would cause him harm in the end, screw up his life etc. (it's been so long I don't remember exactly what I said). I ended up just blocking him on IM since I wasn't getting through to him and I felt it was best to just block him. Frankly I didn't expect him to suddenly want to quit but I still wanted to say my piece. If only it WAS that easy.

Eventually he got removed from my IM ignore list by accident or something. A year to a year and a half later, he suddenly IM's me politely and apologizes for how he acted before and told me how right I was. Things escalated badly in his life eventually as a direct result from smoking dope and that he had quit.

I can't even put into words how good it made me feel. I know I wasn't a direct impact on his quitting.. he had to learn it himself.. but for my words to stick with him like it did that he came back and apologized and told me how right I was... sure must mean that I helped him in some way.

I don't know where you go online but i seem to get by just fine without constant discussion about smoking, drinking and drug use...in fact this is the only place i frequent that is discussing it. So with that it mind smack yourself upside the head!!

But seriously you are under no obligation to talk about it with them about drink and drugs etc. but trust me there will be a lot of things people discuss in life that you have no interest in hearing. Sooner you accept that without getting angry then you can either just don't be a part of that chat group or find a way to be a part of things without getting so pissed. It doesn't mean you think its ok or right but theres ways of expressing and communicating yourself to others who think differently without getting so angry. You know i know this can be interpreted as arrogance but i often feel sorry for people who have this kind of thing as their sole focus in life...it certainly stops me feeling anger toward them...especially smokers as it seems most want to quit!

You know i totally get you on the smoking thing...its really repulsive to smell, i hate it when its wet and the smell seems so much worse on people. And i think i hate it more as it really seems like the most redundant habbit.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

I guess I need to uninstall mIRC and forget IRC exists.

Yep, it happened again. Another channel I joined... they began talking about dope. WTF!?!?!

Thread Information