Thread: Maybe its be that is being unreasonable...

Maybe its be that is being unreasonable...

so there is a kid i see walking around on campus and i thought he was another straight edge kid. he has x's sharpied on the underside of the bill of his hat and on his backpack with a whole bunch of straight edge band names. and he walked past me smoking a cigarette.
    i mean you don't have to be straight edge to like straight edge bands i know and i understand that. but to rock triple x's that you obviously drew yourself. wear them all the time and just walk around smoking. doing what i see is spitting in the face of what i believe in and hold really dear to my heart.
    I'm pretty angry about being straight edge.. I've knocked drinks out of peoples hands and made fun of drunk/high people to their faces. i know that isn't exactly nice but people make fun of me [not saying that its ok for them or i to do either] but yes. back to the point of this post...
    i want to know if i should have words with this so obviously fake. at least to know his story.
    to know if the x to him means something else or if he is just a sell out that doesn't want to give up on his past or if he's just another college asshole who thinks that straight edge is something to openly mock, because obviously he's smoking [I've seen it more than once] and he obviously isn't straight edge.
    input and comments on all sides of this are welcome.

this is just a rant because this really kind of upset me. considering this week has sucked on a whole i feel like this is pretty calm...

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by x28x View Post
    so there is a kid i see walking around on campus and i thought he was another straight edge kid. he has x's sharpied on the underside of the bill of his hat and on his backpack with a whole bunch of straight edge band names. and he walked past me smoking a cigarette.
    i mean you don't have to be straight edge to like straight edge bands i know and i understand that. but to rock triple x's that you obviously drew yourself. wear them all the time and just walk around smoking. doing what i see is spitting in the face of what i believe in and hold really dear to my heart.
    I'm pretty angry about being straight edge.. I've knocked drinks out of peoples hands and made fun of drunk/high people to their faces. i know that isn't exactly nice but people make fun of me [not saying that its ok for them or i to do either] but yes. back to the point of this post...
    i want to know if i should have words with this so obviously fake. at least to know his story.
    to know if the x to him means something else or if he is just a sell out that doesn't want to give up on his past or if he's just another college asshole who thinks that straight edge is something to openly mock, because obviously he's smoking [I've seen it more than once] and he obviously isn't straight edge.

this is just a rant because this really kind of upset me. considering this week has sucked on a whole i feel like this is pretty calm...
    i'd say you have to learn to let some things be, you can always talk to dudes though, that wouldnt hurt and it can make em realize and question why they do what they do, but it would definitely be a waste of energy to get upset if they dont care about it as much as you do.

also, dont be angry and dont attack people, dude. no reason why!
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

I don't really think you should say anything to anybody about things like this. People are going to do whatever they want to do, and realistically it isn't your place to get involved. It sucks that the dude would obviously make a mockery out of straight edge, but if he wants to, then that is his prerogative and as long as he is minding his own business and not saying or doing anything to you personally to intentionally offend you, then I would suggest just letting it go. Those are just my two cents.
    Later Days

I am going to be frank, you lost some respect from me when you mentioned knocking peoples drinks from their hands. I understand the anger and i am totally against drinking too but i am also against forcing personal beliefs on others, apart from anything it really wont change anyones mind on drinking it will just help them form a negative opinion about straight edge. I hope that this is something you did as opposed to something you still do.

But that aside, the kid who is rocking the x's, it might be worth having a friendly chat, and i do mean friendly. Theres no use it going up to him and telling him whats what based on how angry it has made you, i can almost guarantee that it what get a good response. You have to be aware that sometimes people are dicks and will do retarded things to mock straightedge, they do it to get a rise from straightedge kids. Also sometimes people just don't fully get it or have different opinions and so he may see no problem with what he is doing. He may really like the idea of straightedge but struggles with a tobacco addiction...who knows? I am only going by what information you have given here. But a friendly conversation where you are not laying down the law to him or accusing him of being fake and just discussing the things you have in common like the band names etc. I think that could be positive and at least that way you can better ascertain if he is just a dick or someone that you could be friends with. Don't make a judgement that is too detailed for the amount of information you have so far but if your initial judgement is right then my advice would be not to try and teach him the error of his ways as he really won't be open to it.

If you do decide to chat with him then good luck and if not then try not to let it bother you too much.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    I am going to be frank, you lost some respect from me when you mentioned knocking peoples drinks from their hands. I understand the anger and i am totally against drinking too but i am also against forcing personal beliefs on others, apart from anything it really wont change anyones mind on drinking it will just help them form a negative opinion about straight edge. I hope that this is something you did as opposed to something you still do.

i don't know if i should defend myself on this front but i don't do it overtly intentionally. the only time i have follow though with this was new years on las vegas blvd. i doubt the person the threw up on my friend actually missed the drink they dropped. or that the other people noticed what had happened.
    im not that big of a bitch in real life i honestly don't care what people do with their own life. i don't like when people mock what believe in. i don't mock what other people believe in.

i just want to know whats up with this kid.

and i probably won't say anything to this kid unless he talks to me. which he probably also won't approach me because I'm "scary" or something
    whatever.

i want to meet someone that shares my mentality. i thought there would be another one on this board. lame.

i want to meet someone that shares my mentality. i thought there would be another one on this board. lame.
    what's your mentality?

i don't know if i should defend myself on this front but i don't do it overtly intentionally. the only time i have follow though with this was new years on las vegas blvd. i doubt the person the threw up on my friend actually missed the drink they dropped. or that the other people noticed what had happened.
    im not that big of a bitch in real life i honestly don't care what people do with their own life. i don't like when people mock what believe in. i don't mock what other people believe in.
    Ok, i am not saying you are a bitch. I am just commenting on what you said and how you presented it was that you get angry about being straightedge to the point you knock peoples drinks from their hands, perhaps i misunderstood. You did say you don't mock what people believe in yet in your original post you said you make fun of them to their faces. Now i have no idea what to think as you have pretty much said you don't do the stuff you originally said you did? If you don't do those things then cool if you do then what i said before is still what i think but i am not really sure whats what now!!

i just want to know whats up with this kid.

and i probably won't say anything to this kid unless he talks to me. which he probably also won't approach me because I'm "scary" or something
    whatever.

Well if you want to know what is up with him why won't you speak to him?

I'm not sure if i share your mentality as i am not quite sure what it is anymore. I am sorry if thats lame.

linsee
    At one point in my life, I felt like you do x28x. I wanted to smash drinks and yell at people. I hated seeing someone wear a shirt of a straight edge band and also be smoking. Over the years, I've learned that being angry isn't my thing.
    My boyfriend isn't edge, a lot of my friends aren't edge, and I respect them. I make jokes about them drinking, they make jokes about me being edge. It isn't something I get overly sensitive about. Am I still passionate about being edge? Hell yes. I could talk to people about it for hours.
    Ask this dude what's up with him if it bugs you so much. Not worth you getting emotional about, in my opinion. Let us know what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by linsee View Post
    At one point in my life, I felt like you do x28x. I wanted to smash drinks and yell at people. I hated seeing someone wear a shirt of a straight edge band and also be smoking. Over the years, I've learned that being angry isn't my thing.
    My boyfriend isn't edge, a lot of my friends aren't edge, and I respect them. I make jokes about them drinking, they make jokes about me being edge. It isn't something I get overly sensitive about. Am I still passionate about being edge? Hell yes. I could talk to people about it for hours.
    Ask this dude what's up with him if it bugs you so much. Not worth you getting emotional about, in my opinion. Let us know what happens!
    this is my situation. i am the only straight edge kid i know about here. i know here are a few more and I've met in passing a few but i don't kick it with any.

STRAIGHTXED---
    so i realize that i contradicted myself. I've been called a bitch because i stand up for myself which i guess its a "bad thing" to more than one guy that I've "talked to".
    and the knocking is more of a brush by and they drop their drinks. all of my friends drink and smoke and a lot do pills. i don't like it. i get mocked all the time but i don't mock. i make jokes about people being stupid when they are drunk and just give people a hard time.
    especially recently because all my previous co workers had to get drug tested and all had/have their jobs on the line.
    my mentality is that drugs [to every extent of that word] are stupid. i despise the las vegas lets get so fucked up we don't remember mentality. i hate when people mock openly straight edge because they think straight edgers are naive. i hate my friends when they get drunk/high/generally fucked up because they turn into different people.
    its disappointing because i treat my friends like family and to see them doing that bums me out. and i hate that people complain about being poor but spend hundreds at a club.
    i duno exactly what my mentality is. but i see myself as angry but i put that aside most of the time because i love my friends, the real ones at least.
    so if what i say is contradicting that is because my own feeling are conflicted and ambiguous.

its taken me a long time to "admit" straight edge to everyone. i am embarrassed about it because of the flack i got when i was younger for even knowing about it. and its something i am 100% about and hold closer to me than pretty much anything and people mocking it is really upsetting.
    i shouldn't get upset but i do. i understand that it is absurd feeling this way about an ideology but i do. call me Kierkegaard, but i do.
    NO TRUST!

Nervous Breakdown xSouthernEdgex's Avatar

I'd assume that he's a sellout. Or he lives a double life. I know a guy who did that in college. He claimed edge but he would drink alone. He would smoke sometimes. But he claimed edge all day at the shows.
    Love for the Southeast NORTH CAROLINA HARDCORE

Quote Originally Posted by xSouthernEdgex View Post
    I'd assume that he's a sellout. Or he lives a double life. I know a guy who did that in college. He claimed edge but he would drink alone. He would smoke sometimes. But he claimed edge all day at the shows.
    Thats the thing, you assume that he's a sellout...why assume when you could chat to the guy? Well obviously you can't chat to the guy but if you were in that situation you could.

Nervous Breakdown xSouthernEdgex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Thats the thing, you assume that he's a sellout...why assume when you could chat to the guy? Well obviously you can't chat to the guy but if you were in that situation you could.
    I don't care enough about strangers to ask their life story. Everyone makes assumptions. I'd just move on.
    Love for the Southeast NORTH CAROLINA HARDCORE

Quote Originally Posted by xSouthernEdgex View Post
    I don't care enough about strangers to ask their life story. Everyone makes assumptions. I'd just move on.
    I wasn't suggesting asking their life story!! But clearly if you want to know something about someone like this person suggested they did then asking them is a whole world better than making an assumption. I mean at least that way you find out what you wanted to know!! And further more, they have come here to ask strangers here what they think so why not engage with the stranger in question?

I agree with what most said, you have two options for what to do here.

1) you could try striking up a conversation with him, make it about one of the bands on his backpack that you like. Then ease into the topic of being edge, and just let him talk and get his viewpoint on it all before you say anything mean/offensive.

2) just let it slide, as everyone is their own person and they will do what they want, no matter who it effect's (positively or negatively).

Personally I totally understand where you are coming from, this kind of thing def. does make me mad as well, but I know that I am edge for me, not for anyone else, and if they want to go fill their lungs with cancer, let them, I'd rather just let them go then start a fight over it. I know in the end, I'm doing what's right to me, for me, that's what matter's.

As for the being the only straightedge person, I totally know where you're coming from. Where I grew up (Brick, NJ - jersey shore area) everyone claimed edge when they were 14-16/18, most in highschool experimented with drinking/drugs and got addicted, then whoever didn't during HS, did once we got out of HS. Now I am the only person that I know and still hang out with/see around town that is still straightedge. They all know me now as the one person who actually held true, when they alll gave up. When I hear that from them, it makes me feel that much better, and this includes the friends who have since had to get their sXe tattoo's covered up (about 4 friends of mine had to do this). It does suck sometimes though, knowing I'm the only one, I would love to meet some other sXe kids to hang out with, but unfortunately I don't see that happening, so I'll just have to deal with being around that crap :-\

Thread Information