Thread: Dating in America. How is this info accurate?

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar

Dating in America. How is this info accurate?

So, I have this book from American Studies course that I took in university and it says literally the following:

"Dating is a social pastime. Young people may begin dating in couples as early as age 13, although group activities are more common at that time. More serious dating in couples begins as early as age 15. A person (male or female) does not feel obligated to date only one person at a time, unless the couple agrees to do so. Otherwise, Americans date on a casual basis as many people and as many (or as few) times as they wish until they develop a serious relationship with one person. That relationship may or may not lead to marriage. Dating is as common among single adults as among the youth. At all ages, going to movies, dancing, dining at restaurants, and participating in sports are popular activities.

..."

In bold is what I'm specifically interested in. How is this accurate?

The thing is I've seen this mentioned before on the Internet, but now this is coming from what is supposed to be a more or less reliable source of information on American culture -- a university textbook. Now, in Ukraine it's basically the same in all respects. However, I feel -- from my own experience and that of my friends and people I know -- that here most people, I guess, are not comfortable with the idea of seeing more than one person at a time.

For one, I've had a lot of girls tell me directly that they found me interesting but they were dating someone else and that they'd feel bad if they started also seeing me. Of course, there are people that are totally OK doing this here, but from the sounds of it, it seems in America people indeed feel less obligated to stick with just one person. How much do you think this is accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex View Post
    So, I have this book from American Studies course that I took in university and it says literally the following:

"Dating is a social pastime. Young people may begin dating in couples as early as age 13, although group activities are more common at that time. More serious dating in couples begins as early as age 15. A person (male or female) does not feel obligated to date only one person at a time, unless the couple agrees to do so. Otherwise, Americans date on a casual basis as many people and as many (or as few) times as they wish until they develop a serious relationship with one person. That relationship may or may not lead to marriage. Dating is as common among single adults as among the youth. At all ages, going to movies, dancing, dining at restaurants, and participating in sports are popular activities.

..."

In bold is what I'm specifically interested in. How is this accurate?

The thing is I've seen this mentioned before on the Internet, but now this is coming from what is supposed to be a more or less reliable source of information on American culture -- a university textbook. Now, in Ukraine it's basically the same in all respects. However, I feel -- from my own experience and that of my friends and people I know -- that here most people, I guess, are not comfortable with the idea of seeing more than one person at a time.

For one, I've had a lot of girls tell me directly that they found me interesting but they were dating someone else and that they'd feel bad if they started also seeing me. Of course, there are people that are totally OK doing this here, but from the sounds of it, it seems in America people indeed feel less obligated to stick with just one person. How much do you think this is accurate?
    It depends on what you mean by "seeing". Going on a date with someone does not qualify as seeing someone (in my view) so often people will go dates with a lot of different people. But usually if it is a case of actually "dating" or "seeing" someone, very rarely have I experienced people seeing more than one person at a time. Does that makes sense?

And this is Canada, not America, but I would assume the situations are similar.
    Later Days

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseman004 View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "seeing". Going on a date with someone does not qualify as seeing someone (in my view) so often people will go dates with a lot of different people. But usually if it is a case of actually "dating" or "seeing" someone, very rarely have I experienced people seeing more than one person at a time. Does that makes sense?

And this is Canada, not America, but I would assume the situations are similar.
    Yep, it does. Thanks. If anyone else wants to share their point of view go ahead. I'm eager to hear all the opinions.

Thread Information