Thread: Can someone that says they're sXe consume alcohol once a year?

Can someone that says they're sXe consume alcohol once a year?

I've been interested in the sXe lifestyle since i was in middle school and I've always been a strong believer in every aspect of sXe beliefs with one minor (or major, depending on your opinion) discrepancy.

Here's the problem:
    I have this family tradition that I've taken part in since i was about five; every christmas my immediate family toasts with Baileys. I don't see anything wrong with this because a.) it's a tradition and b.) it's (as far as I know) harmless--a single shot of liqueur couldn't possibly get you messed up.

The discrepancy is in that some people say that it's all personal choice and YOU define sXe for yourself, while others say there are NO exceptions. See, the way I feel is, just because I may continue this family tradition doesn't mean that I'll accept a drink at a party or any other occasion.

I also understand that someone may be like, "why must you label yourself?" Well, in short, I am absolutely against labels, but this is not a typical label that only describes how you look, how you dress like, what you listen to...it describes belief and a stance. Isn't it so much easier to say "I'm straight edge" as opposed to "Um, I don't do drugs...and i don't drink eiher....and i don't consume meat...and......" etc.

So, basically, what are your thoughts?
    Is it right to call yourself sXe if you consume a small amount of alcohol every christmas?
    What else would one call his/herself in order to avoid the whole "i don't do the following things" speech?

Thank You in advance. :]

Quote Originally Posted by candyshopofopoison View Post
    I've been interested in the sXe lifestyle since i was in middle school and I've always been a strong believer in every aspect of sXe beliefs with one minor (or major, depending on your opinion) discrepancy.

Here's the problem:
    I have this family tradition that I've taken part in since i was about five; every christmas my immediate family toasts with Baileys. I don't see anything wrong with this because a.) it's a tradition and b.) it's (as far as I know) harmless--a single shot of liqueur couldn't possibly get you messed up.

The discrepancy is in that some people say that it's all personal choice and YOU define sXe for yourself, while others say there are NO exceptions. See, the way I feel is, just because I may continue this family tradition doesn't mean that I'll accept a drink at a party or any other occasion.

I also understand that someone may be like, "why must you label yourself?" Well, in short, I am absolutely against labels, but this is not a typical label that only describes how you look, how you dress like, what you listen to...it describes belief and a stance. Isn't it so much easier to say "I'm straight edge" as opposed to "Um, I don't do drugs...and i don't drink eiher....and i don't consume meat...and......" etc.

So, basically, what are your thoughts?
    Is it right to call yourself sXe if you consume a small amount of alcohol every christmas?
    What else would one call his/herself in order to avoid the whole "i don't do the following things" speech?

Thank You in advance. :]
    it's about a consistency of beliefs. Would you be a vegetarian if you only ate turkey on thanksgiving? If something is against what you believe, it's against what you believe, regardless of the situation and regardless of what you choose to call yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    it's about a consistency of beliefs. Would you be a vegetarian if you only ate turkey on thanksgiving? If something is against what you believe, it's against what you believe, regardless of the situation and regardless of what you choose to call yourself.
    That makes so much sense. Thank you. The whole turkey thing reminds me of my mom. My immediate family became vegetarian together about seven years ago and slowly but surely everyone but me started eating meat again, but my mom said she was a DIFFERENT KIND of vegetarian...lmao. That really bugged me. But, anyways:
    This really helped. Thank you again. :]

Quote Originally Posted by candyshopofopoison View Post
    That makes so much sense. Thank you. The whole turkey thing reminds me of my mom. My immediate family became vegetarian together about seven years ago and slowly but surely everyone but me started eating meat again, but my mom said she was a DIFFERENT KIND of vegetarian...lmao. That really bugged me. But, anyways:
    This really helped. Thank you again. :]
    People tend to get caught up in wanting to call themselves something, rather than finding out who they are and then finding something that describes them. It forces them to hold onto things and make weird justifications just to still fit that label.

Hopefully you'll stick around and post lots!

Thread Information