Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Punk?

Punk?

Ok so everyone here keeps saying that punk is dead. now what are bands like nofx and h2o and bouncing souls and all and pennywise, and so on considered?
    xCarpexDiemx
    life is what you make it.

you're only old once... flame_still_burns's Avatar

Re: Punk?

Originally posted by sabresnmets
    Ok so everyone here keeps saying that punk is dead. now what are bands like nofx and h2o and bouncing souls and all and pennywise, and so on considered?
    i think it is just a sentiment meaning that punk is a hollow term. there are still 'punk' bands... but what is punk about being on a label owned by a multi-billion dollar conglomarate? and playing shows to kids who paid 25 bucks to see you, and selling 30 dollar t-shirts, and having a contract rider so you get exactly the catering you want backstage?

in my opinion it means punk sold it's identity for a shot at TRL.

the bouncing souls i'd call a borderline ska band... but it has been many years since i saw them last so i have no idea what they are doing now.
    all there is- is in the knowing, that this never has to end.

As long as there's at least one band out there that speaks their mind, plays hard and fast, and doesn't let anyone tell them they can't do otherwise, punk will be alive. As long as we have people thinking for themselves, speaking out and fighting the bullshit in sociaty, punk will be alive. If someone says it's dead, they're wrong.
    Fear is simply acknowledging that someone, or something is greater then you.

Originally posted by Optic
    As long as there's at least one band out there that speaks their mind, plays hard and fast, and doesn't let anyone tell them they can't do otherwise, punk will be alive. As long as we have people thinking for themselves, speaking out and fighting the bullshit in sociaty, punk will be alive. If someone says it's dead, they're wrong.
    yeah, but how is it relevant any more? How shocking and contraversial is punk now? How are bands doing anything other than writing songs and playing shows?

To think that punk is still alive and relevent is to think your senile old grandfather with incontinents is still 25 and can shit without the assistance of a bag.

Originally posted by xsecx
    yeah, but how is it relevant any more? How shocking and contraversial is punk now? How are bands doing anything other than writing songs and playing shows?

To think that punk is still alive and relevent is to think your senile old grandfather with incontinents is still 25 and can shit without the assistance of a bag.
    shitting yourself is kind of punk!

punk is dead and thats whats good about it, it was one here and can never be spoiled

but i think there's punk and there's punk

a whole new genre has started which is called punk but nothing like what the previous genre meant
    "we always associate getting drunk wiht having a good time...
    ...so next time you are bent over the toilet bowl forcing yourself to be sick, remind yourself what a good time you are having" BEN ELTON

Originally posted by xsecx

We've discussed this before and you've said that punk in the US is very different than over here.

I think that if you take punk as purely the music then yeah it is no longer challenging and is just for entertainment. If you look at the wider subculture though there is plenty of instances of it still being a counterculture. There is still a political punk scene on both sides of the pond and in my narrow experience there are more punks that are politically active than hardcore kids. I don't think punk has to be shocking as long as it still maintains it's political aspects and it's alternative to mainstream culture.

I think there are very few music-based subcultures that are shocking or contraversial anymore.
    "Where the hell is my riot?"

"my true compassion is for all living things and not just the ones who are cute so i do what i can.
    i wanna save lives and i've got a plan"

http://www.veganfitness.net

punks not dead!!!!!!!!! seriously it's not. nu metal is not even dead[it sucks though] as long as linkin park, and limp bizkit, and clones of those bands keep playing it won't be dead. i think boyband music is dead though. no more of them left really.
    keep the edge sharp, and keep your lies sharper

Originally posted by drug free adult
    punks not dead!!!!!!!!! seriously it's not. nu metal is not even dead[it sucks though] as long as linkin park, and limp bizkit, and clones of those bands keep playing it won't be dead. i think boyband music is dead though. no more of them left really.
    try the UK they still seem to be alive and kicking, but not as much as they used to be. But there again, the UK has alot more pop music than the US, like A LOT more.

yeah but the boy bands always come back as much as i pray it doesnt, it always does.
    xCarpexDiemx
    life is what you make it.

Why even worry about boy bands, I mean, what, do you listen to the pop radio stations and watch MTV that much? Lol.. People are always free to listen to what they like, is it really that hard to accept diversity? =\ How..Hitler-ish.

I can agree though, what Punk was before may be horribly reduced, but you can't say it's dead because everywhere I fucking go I run into people, crowds, that love it. The scene may be shadows of what it was but I couldn't possibly say it's dead.

Why even worry about boy bands, I mean, what, do you listen to the pop radio stations and watch MTV that much? Lol.. People are always free to listen to what they like, is it really that hard to accept diversity? =\ How..Hitler-ish.

I can agree though, what Punk was before may be horribly reduced, but you can't say it's dead because everywhere I fucking go I run into people, crowds, that love it. The scene may be shadows of what it was but I couldn't possibly say it's dead.
    expect that what's around now is a copy. punk died in america for like 10 years.

I guess if you really say so. Atleast bring some better statements then that to the table and make a point. It's not dead because someone high and mighty says so ya know? Say as you wish but any town I've ever been to has it's own little punk scene, and when you take every town in America and put together all the possible punk bands in there that are trying to keep it going, you have a lot of fucking bands. Punk will always be alive *to an extent* ( a part of my point you didn't seem to comprehend, or just refused to )

I guess if you really say so. Atleast bring some better statements then that to the table and make a point. It's not dead because someone high and mighty says so ya know? Say as you wish but any town I've ever been to has it's own little punk scene, and when you take every town in America and put together all the possible punk bands in there that are trying to keep it going, you have a lot of fucking bands. Punk will always be alive *to an extent* ( a part of my point you didn't seem to comprehend, or just refused to )
    except that you are basing everything off of your own experiences and not on actual history. The point is that what you are calling punk is an immitation and not punk. What was punk doesn't exist anymore in america, at all and hasn't for most of late 80s and most of the 90s nothing "punk" existed. IF you disagree then give me examples.

Pretty much what you're saying to me, is that your idea of, and standards of punk is dead correct? If so, then yeah, punk to you can R.I.P. So maybe the current punk scene isn't as flourishfull as it once was, maybe not even a little, I'm just saying that reguardless, there's still a scene out there. I know this because every Friday night I can go downtown, enter a building, and within that building will be a moshpit, and a band playing some music that I'm sure evn you could appreciate, with a powerfull message as well. So to me, that's not dead, even if it's hanging by a hairline.

Thread Information