Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The word "like"

  1. #1
    Registered User hatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mountain Home, ID/ Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41

    The word "like"

    Like, I think I just sat through like the worst conversation ever!

    So, I decided to look up the word like, in the dictionary and see what the definition of it had become and to my surprise. There are 29 definitions of like, and 5 of them are informal and one of them is:

    -conjunction, Informal . (used esp. after forms of be to introduce reported speech or thought): She's like, "I don't believe it," and I'm like, "No, it's true!"

    It's a major pet peeve of mine along with um...but it seems that "like" has now been accepted by Websters.

    Anyone else have words that are pet peeves that are now "accepted"?
    I'm sure tomorrow will be as positive AS TODAY.
    -GOOD CLEAN FUN

  2. #2
    Taxi Driver Lifestyle_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,190
    Amazing, but no I don't have any accepted ones.
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

    visit http://www.z-spot.be/
    Z-spot Gaming community
    No Ego's, no "pwnage", just gaming

  3. #3
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    i probably use tons, to make it easier to explain myself while talking or writing in english.
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

  4. #4
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I noticed that it's been accepted in conversation to repeat everything said in a previous conversation.

    Pet peeves....I have a lot of them. I hate it when my students use "gay" or "retarded" as adjectives. I hear adults use them too, as well as wishy washy terms such as "practically," "kinda" and "sorta" which irritate me.

  5. #5
    Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    3,055
    I like totally like went down to the store and liked all the food in there, so I like bought it all, and now I'm like, eating it.
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

  6. #6
    Registered User lo0m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    364
    we should "totally" change the quote function to show: D1988 was like: "I like totally like went down to the store and liked all the food in there, so I like bought it all, and now I'm like, eating it."
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

  7. #7
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I noticed that it's been accepted in conversation to repeat everything said in a previous conversation.

    Pet peeves....I have a lot of them. I hate it when my students use "gay" or "retarded" as adjectives. I hear adults use them too, as well as wishy washy terms such as "practically," "kinda" and "sorta" which irritate me.
    I can understand the issue with gay, but not retarded. Do you have an issue with idiot, moron, imbecile, dumb, etc as well?

  8. #8
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0m View Post
    we should "totally" change the quote function to show: D1988 was like: "I like totally like went down to the store and liked all the food in there, so I like bought it all, and now I'm like, eating it."
    *eye twitch*
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    I can understand the issue with gay, but not retarded. Do you have an issue with idiot, moron, imbecile, dumb, etc as well?
    No, I don't mind those words. In fact, I think those are more accurate adjectives. I'm probably more sensitive to "retarded" because I hear it tossed around in front of my mentally challenged students.

  9. #9
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    No, I don't mind those words. In fact, I think those are more accurate adjectives. I'm probably more sensitive to "retarded" because I hear it tossed around in front of my mentally challenged students.
    they're pretty much all antiquated terms to describe mentally challenged though, some of which were medical at the time.

  10. #10
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    they're pretty much all antiquated terms to describe mentally challenged though, some of which were medical at the time.
    This is true.

    Look, it doesn't have be logical; it's a pet peeve. Pet peeves are not based on logic. I just finished reading The Four Agreements and its basic tenets will be something I will strive towards: Have impeccable speech, don't take things personally, don't make assumptions, and always do your best. Therefore, my pet peeves will be something I will try to eradicate from my psyche. :)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •