Thread: annoyed to no end

annoyed to no end

Ok,question.
    Why when I mention edge to people are the reactions this:
    "Are you into beating|killing people?"
    "Are you nazi natured?" Or
    "Do you only like hard music?"

hi, welcome on board..
    a) there have been some crews that took the edge from a violent side and made sxe a bad name.. but killing is too much even for them (at least I hope)
    b) nazis are copying every subculture that could bring them more followers, including skinheads, hardcore(hatecore they call it) and straight edge...
    c) straight edge is inseparable part of hardcore subculture, so this kinda makes sense...
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

I agree. no matter how much people try to make the movement in to the positive spectrum, everyone will always concentrate on the violent aspects of SE. Its too convenient to watch dateline and see though corporate Americas eyes. it takes an open mind to sit down and talk to SE people and have an interesting conversation. but no one wants to take the time out of their busy day of watching MTV to learn what the new trend is in pop culture. (sub note) thats way i dont watch tv.
    Raise your fist in the air, DRUG FREE!

Teratus
    In the Uk

The Violent side of straight edge isnt well known

when I tell people I am edge most of the time they dont know what it means

then when i exsplain i dont drink etc there are always two resposes

Wow thats brilliant i could never do that its really cool you can live like that

or the more common one

Hahaha you dont drink you dont know what your missing
    you have no life you should come out and get pissed and wrecked on drugs
    its a great laugh your wasting your life if you dont....

Quote Originally Posted by Teratus View Post
    In the Uk

Wow thats brilliant i could never do that its really cool you can live like that

or the more common one

I myself have heard the first response a multitude of times but have never heard the second response
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Teratus
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    I myself have heard the first response a multitude of times but have never heard the second response

your luckey

im tired of people looking down on me because i refuse to drink
    it angers me alot that everyone thinks I have no life because i dont mess my head up with chemicals

I live in a small overcrowded town and forty percent are drug,alcohol,tobacco and meaningless sex addicts. I can't tell you how many times I've told people I do not engage in this wretched s@it anymore and the same ones think they'll "bring me back" to it. Then you got that sixty something percent of working class who act like I'm acting like I think I must be a god. They're claim to fame is: "oh well,we've all got problems and we drink a bit and do a bit of coke. What,are cigarettes bad in YOUR mind?". They pretend that I'm the real issue with things. So trust me,I know how you feel.

your luckey

im tired of people looking down on me because i refuse to drink
    it angers me alot that everyone thinks I have no life because i dont mess my head up with chemicals

I don't think its luck, i think the type of people who would say things like that are just not people i would associate with.

I wouldn't worry too much about them looking down on you, its just because you are a giving them something that makes them see a reflection of how they are and you are showing that you are doing something that seems difficult or impossible for them to do. So rather than tell you how good it is they tell you how stupid it is so they don't feel as bad about the feeling that they can't do it. If they convince themselves its stupid then it doesn't matter if they can't do it, they have no reason to want to do it then. With that in mind you can just let their opinions of it fall by the wayside.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

In the Uk

or the more common one

it's about the same in France, no one knows what it means if you say you're straight edge. And usually, they think you're weird for not drinking and doing drugs, and have a hard time believing that some people actually CHOOSE not to do this. Here, if you say you don't drink, people think it's because you're sick or something...
    Last time I told someone I didn't drink, he actually asked me "but then, how do you party?" because people think you can't have fun without alcohol

I get that a lot as well, people love to associate alcohol with fun. when i describe my life style to some one who is generally wondering and not just making fun of me, the first question is always, well how do you have fun?

they get the two mixed up. fun is not naturally associated with alcohol. and if you think im wrong, go to a play ground and watch the kids and see how much fun they are having. and im willing to bet that they are not drunk.

i guess it takes an open minded person to truly understand that there is more to life then what your friends tell you or what you see on tv. people were enjoying life way before alcohol came in.
    Raise your fist in the air, DRUG FREE!

Angry

When I turn my tv on I cannot escape some d*mn alcohol commercial. Its always there. Its like,I'm happily watching cartoons the other day when,they go to commercial and captain parrot guy advertising rum like its a huge f*cking joke. Or the one with the party scene and girls hanging on the bat logo liquor guy. Its sick how they discount all the drunk driving accidents,DUIs,violent behaviors,and diseases that these "drinks" are causing. My brother and I live in an apartment where all you have is party crazed people. They act like "eeyu,avoid the two clean quiet ones." A guy who was here but got himself thrown out for calling the owner at two in the morning and slamming for not allowing more drug|alcoholics in. He used to sit out all night totally trashed,music loud and calling out for drunk buddies. He lived right next to us and was always harassing us coming in|going out. Once he physically accosted me,giving me a black eye. Do they show that on tv? No,of course not. They banned tobacco commercials and should alcohol. The pukes want it that bad,they can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by pryncessXxX View Post
    When I turn my tv on I cannot escape some d*mn alcohol commercial. Its always there. Its like,I'm happily watching cartoons the other day when,they go to commercial and captain parrot guy advertising rum like its a huge f*cking joke. Or the one with the party scene and girls hanging on the bat logo liquor guy. Its sick how they discount all the drunk driving accidents,DUIs,violent behaviors,and diseases that these "drinks" are causing. My brother and I live in an apartment where all you have is party crazed people. They act like "eeyu,avoid the two clean quiet ones." A guy who was here but got himself thrown out for calling the owner at two in the morning and slamming for not allowing more drug|alcoholics in. He used to sit out all night totally trashed,music loud and calling out for drunk buddies. He lived right next to us and was always harassing us coming in|going out. Once he physically accosted me,giving me a black eye. Do they show that on tv? No,of course not. They banned tobacco commercials and should alcohol. The pukes want it that bad,they can find it.
    The world's sick. Too bad you and your bro live in such a place, I sympathize.

Teratus
    The World is sick?

I've been saying that since i was 14
    to me its more like its dying

Human beings really are a cruel and uncaring species
    very few people really care about others
    and even fewer actually help others

tbh i blame drugs for the world being the way it is
    you litterally cannot go out without being around drugs and that includes drink and smoke

I dont want to change anyone
    we all have our rights and freedom

but i really wish i didnt have to put up with peoples drug habbits
    people wonder why i never go out
    and in all honesty its because i want nothing to do with people when they are drinking or using any other form of drug

Try working in a newsroom that has a "Journalists Who Drink" group, which is the only place that the editors really hash out the details of the office--that's a lot of pressure to participate, especially when I was first starting out. I also had a teacher colleague that was constantly teasing me about my sobriety, saying that I was denying my Irish heritage. *confused* However, she was not the first and won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    I used to get the 2nd one a lot, people were mostly cool, but every once in a while I'd get the 2nd, mostly from people I knew with drinking/drug problems though.

Thread Information