Thread: Edge and Military

Edge and Military

Is anyone who posts here edge and in the military?

Reason asking: In business, it is hard to stay away from alcohol especially in international business when dealing with cultures where it is part of everyday life. Even politely not drinking, they notice, and ask what is wrong. It is part of building the relationship between the two businesses and it is something that I had to accept a couple of years ago, when I went into the field. Or at least was told by the internship I had at the time.

I'm wondering if the same is true with the military. Or if personal philosophies are respected better. I decided to chase a long ago dream of being an officer and this factors into that decision. From what I can tell from being a spouse, in our small circle of friends it is no big deal, it is a rare occasion for my husband to drink and I don't. But from the inside...is it that simple.
    I'm sure tomorrow will be as positive AS TODAY.
    -GOOD CLEAN FUN

linsee
    A friend of mine that is in the military actually has a lot of straight edge military buddies.

I'm in the navy. I wouldnt say that its difficult because straightedge is my choice. But it is irritating, especially being in the navy. There are alot of idiots and although the navy has taken up a very anti-alcohol stance there are some dumb people that want to hold on to the whole drink fight and fuck mentality of the old navy. I just dont really associate with other military people outside of work. I have a few times and it tended to turn into "well Barr doesnt drink so he can be designated driver." and i really dont want to be held accountable for someone elses actions because they got drunk and lost self control. there arent any straightedge sailors out here that i know of. i suppose it would be cool to meet some though because i think its dumb to travel the world, hit a port in a country you may never get the chance to see again and then automatically go find a bar and get drunk. Id much rather remember the experience and learn something.

Im in the Army. Yes, it is annoying because every event seems to be driven around alcohol. There is one fellow SE soldier and some who just dont claim it. but, for the most part we are very much the outcasts for 2 reasons. 1, we dont do like 90 of the military does and 2, we both happen to be sleeved out with tattoos.

xplan_Bx
    I am the other soldier he is refering too.^ It is a pain in the ass because I am always getting punished for everyone else when they get in trouble for drinking and doing drugs. And we definitley catch alot of flak for our way of life. The military is such a mecca for drinking its almost out of hand. But I stand strong, fuck them! We will always prevail!

Wondering if its any different for officers too. But, as far as I've talked to the officers I know it doesn't seem to be as big of deal, and you never know...maybe if leadership isn't it'll make it easier? One can always hope.
    Package goes in, in July...boards in October. If I get selected, I'm really thinking about making the commitment again. I've lost almost 70 lbs to get to this point and am jumping through some hoops now. It'll be a long journey, almost a year and a half at that point. So the music is what I love, if I'm not in business I don't want the alcohol in my system anyways, and I'm straight from there on out. I think that it would be a positive step forward for the leader in me...but we'll see what happens in October.
    I'm sure tomorrow will be as positive AS TODAY.
    -GOOD CLEAN FUN

I'm a submarine officer in the Navy. I can tell you that drinking is prevalent in all aspects of the military. Even with officers. Most of our socials revolve around drinking and as a member of the wardroom, you are expected to be there. It may be awkward at first, but as you earn everyone's respect nobody will begin to care. As a newly reporting junior officer, you will probably get a lot of shit for doing things that are different (or not doing things that are the norm). As I said before, as you earn everyone's respect, it will probably turn in to joking banter. An easy way to know that the wardroom doesn't think much of you is if you don't have the playful banter about your quirks. Let me know if you have any questions about being a straight edge officer and good luck on your package.

Thread Information