Thread: Questions for a college paper

Questions for a college paper

Hi guys,

I'm doing a master's thesis on Straight Edge in the USA, and I really need some first-hand material, and basically if you could give me your opinions and feelings about Straight Edge, that's be great.
    I'd just like you to be as honest as you can, and if there are questions you don't feel like answering or are just not relevant, whatever, don't answer them, but if you could try and answer most of it, even in a very concise way, that'd be really helpful to me...

So here are the questions, if you're ok to answer, please take a few minutes to answer them and send it in a private message.

City/State:

1. Do you consider yourself to be Straight Edge? If yes, since when? How and why did you become Straight Edge?

2. What is your personal background? (education, family…) Does it have a link with you being Straight edge?

3. Are you a member of a religion?

4. Do you have political opinions? If yes, what is their link to Straight Edge, according to you?

5. For you, what does Straight Edge mean?

6. When have you first heard about Straight Edge? How did you discover it?

7. How many Straight Edge kids do you know?

8. Do you consider yourself to be a member of a scene? Which one?

9. Do you feel like Straight Edge is strongly tied to music, or is it relatively independent from it?

10. What are your favorite kinds of music and favorite bands?

11. Are you a vegetarian or a vegan? Do you think vegetarianism or veganism is essential to be Straight Edge?

12. How important is the part played by Straight Edge in your life?

13. Have you ever felt pressure from non-Straight Edgers? Do you feel integrated to the ‘mainstream’? (in your job, with friends, at school…) Do you feel isolated from ‘mainstream’ because of your dedication to Straight Edge?

14. How often have you heard about Straight Edge in the news/media? How was it described? What was your feeling towards it?

15. Anything you want to add or say?

Thank you guys for your time :)

I'm assuming this is for people in the US only right?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Well...it's supposed to be, but I'd be glad if anyone answered, I could use it as a way of widening the subject to other countries, so if you feel like answering, it's still gonna be useful and interesting :)
    so, thank you if you do so ;)

I'm from England but thought I'd give it a go anyway! Good luck with your thesis, some great and thought-provoking questions in there!

Thank you guys for your time and answers ;)

Thread Information