Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 74

Thread: World Cup

  1. #16
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by D1988 View Post
    Exactly, I was only joking buddy :)
    i know but the joke enforces the stereotype



    Quote Originally Posted by D1988 View Post
    I am not keen on a team GB at all to be honest. I think for example, alot of the younger talented players coming through would have less of a chance to play at International level, I also think the team would primarily be made up of alot of English players as it is really apparent that English clubs are producing by far the better players in Great Britain.
    Yeah but thats mainly because england has like 10 times as many people in. you miss the point by worrying that scotland want get to represent itself...it won't be england overshadowing scotland it will just be a team that represents GBR without segregation...hopefully. I mean england is made up of players who were born in or around london so smaller cities don't get a look in! Its not really the point, i mean i think it works great to have team GBR in the Olympics and it gives the nation a much higher level of sporting achivement. But we are stuck with this archaic attitude of england and scotland in football having to compete and be seperate, there is definitely a lot of really unwarrented hatred within football and i think it serves no purpose. I'm also just really happy to see people actively trying to break down those walls. I mean sure you were joking but i have had the discussion with a few families that have married between scottish and english people and you hear some very strange comments. Only the other week i heard about an a scottish lass dating and english chap and the scottish mother said "he is such a nice lad but he's english so i don't think he's the one". It just bewilders me that we still have these thoughts going around. But yeah, as you can tell i am all for embracing scotland and wales into a team GBR.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  2. #17
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    You know i meant team great brotain not team gorilla biscuits right?
    ofcourse i knew!
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

  3. #18
    Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    3,055
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Yeah but thats mainly because england has like 10 times as many people in. you miss the point by worrying that scotland want get to represent itself...it won't be england overshadowing scotland it will just be a team that represents GBR without segregation...hopefully. I mean england is made up of players who were born in or around london so smaller cities don't get a look in! Its not really the point, i mean i think it works great to have team GBR in the Olympics and it gives the nation a much higher level of sporting achivement. But we are stuck with this archaic attitude of england and scotland in football having to compete and be seperate, there is definitely a lot of really unwarrented hatred within football and i think it serves no purpose. I'm also just really happy to see people actively trying to break down those walls. I mean sure you were joking but i have had the discussion with a few families that have married between scottish and english people and you hear some very strange comments. Only the other week i heard about an a scottish lass dating and english chap and the scottish mother said "he is such a nice lad but he's english so i don't think he's the one". It just bewilders me that we still have these thoughts going around. But yeah, as you can tell i am all for embracing scotland and wales into a team GBR.
    I see what you are saying Ed.

    Our own "government" in Scotland once pushed for "independance" which doesn't help matters at all and instantly makes people think they want it without even thinking about it. Football is so huge in GB that it can influence such behaviour from people, it's crazy the things a sport can do to people, but there is so much passion and hatred created by the game.
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

  4. #19
    Registered User Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    i know but the joke enforces the stereotype





    Yeah but thats mainly because england has like 10 times as many people in. you miss the point by worrying that scotland want get to represent itself...it won't be england overshadowing scotland it will just be a team that represents GBR without segregation...hopefully. I mean england is made up of players who were born in or around london so smaller cities don't get a look in! Its not really the point, i mean i think it works great to have team GBR in the Olympics and it gives the nation a much higher level of sporting achivement. But we are stuck with this archaic attitude of england and scotland in football having to compete and be seperate, there is definitely a lot of really unwarrented hatred within football and i think it serves no purpose. I'm also just really happy to see people actively trying to break down those walls. I mean sure you were joking but i have had the discussion with a few families that have married between scottish and english people and you hear some very strange comments. Only the other week i heard about an a scottish lass dating and english chap and the scottish mother said "he is such a nice lad but he's english so i don't think he's the one". It just bewilders me that we still have these thoughts going around. But yeah, as you can tell i am all for embracing scotland and wales into a team GBR.
    I have no problem at all with a British football team. My problem would be that to have a British team the F.A.s of the British nations would be weakened and possibly forced to merge by FIFA. I travel enough just to get to places like Plymouth or Carlisle. The last thing I want is having to go away to Aberdeen or Inverness.

  5. #20
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
    I have no problem at all with a British football team. My problem would be that to have a British team the F.A.s of the British nations would be weakened and possibly forced to merge by FIFA. I travel enough just to get to places like Plymouth or Carlisle. The last thing I want is having to go away to Aberdeen or Inverness.
    Why would it be weakened? It could easily become stronger with such a move. But if the best move for football to keep it growing in a positive way was to merge would you be against that? Your travel issues seem pretty irrelevent, perhaps you could elaborate on that some more because its a bit unclear what you are actually trying to get at.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  6. #21
    Registered User Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Why would it be weakened? It could easily become stronger with such a move. But if the best move for football to keep it growing in a positive way was to merge would you be against that? Your travel issues seem pretty irrelevent, perhaps you could elaborate on that some more because its a bit unclear what you are actually trying to get at.
    Each national footb all association enters a national football team into the world cup qualifiers. If the UK were to enter a merged UK football team would FIFA then insist that the national footballl associations also merge. Each association has it's own league. The last thing I would want to see is a merged UK league.

  7. #22
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
    Each national footb all association enters a national football team into the world cup qualifiers. If the UK were to enter a merged UK football team would FIFA then insist that the national footballl associations also merge. Each association has it's own league. The last thing I would want to see is a merged UK league.

    But the national side is a completely different kettle of fish to league football. Merging all the leagues that the FA oversee would be inpractical, time consuming and expensive. If they were to to do it you can bet they would have a good reason to do it based on how much trouble it would be. But you still haven't explained your travel issue. Is that your only reservation or is there something more because so far you have just said you wouldn't like it because you'd have to travel a little...which is speculation to start with and even if it were to become that top tier football merged then yeah you'd have to travel a bit...that shouldn't actually be seen as such a bad thing. I mean people already have to travel a long way and in some cases this will provide more games at a closer proximity. I mean it seems you are thinking about your location and not much else...please let me know what other reservations you have if i am missing something here.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  8. #23
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    so chile got to be on the same group as spain, switzerland and honduras.

    it looks like a tough group for us, mainly because of spain...
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

  9. #24
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
    so chile got to be on the same group as spain, switzerland and honduras.

    it looks like a tough group for us, mainly because of spain...
    Good luck, England have USA to begin with. Should be a good match.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  10. #25
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    first game!
    who saw it?

    any comments on it?
    for the upcoming matches?
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

  11. #26
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    oh, and by the way, we just got HD television recently and it's awesome.
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

  12. #27
    attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,750
    i don't care about it at all. I've lost interest in watching football, or basically any sports.

  13. #28
    Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,561
    Soccer is boring to watch.

  14. #29
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
    first game!
    who saw it?

    any comments on it?
    for the upcoming matches?
    I'm looking forward to USA England match tomorrow. I really hope the USA wins so I can talk shit to my sister in law.

  15. #30
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    I'm looking forward to USA England match tomorrow. I really hope the USA wins so I can talk shit to my sister in law.
    sounds like fun!
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. This World Will Run Right Through You
    By xsecx in forum Hardcore
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 03:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •