Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why do people like emo what do they see in it

Re: why do people like emo what do they see in it

Originally posted by foreverinaday
    whats with everybody now become emo and thinking its so great
    I don't see how I can answer this properly as it's not really a proper question. But people like the music they like as chance said. And if you like a type of music then surely you're also entitled to think it's great? The way you state 'becoming emo' confuses me as I see 'emo' only as a label for a particular music genre.

However, if you are refering to the way in which people attach labels to themselves to make themselves look 'cool' or whatever, then the answer to your question would be: 'because these people are insecure, like the majority of us, and take comfort in attaching themselves to what they perceive to be a stable identity'

In my opinion, at least.

89 of 423457
    I agree........ Thats all in all the best answer to his question yet.....

Originally posted by straightXed
    it was just odd to me, as if hardcore kids were thinking themselves better than emo kids or something.
    I know I do.

Re: Re: why do people like emo what do they see in it

Originally posted by Paracetamol
    I don't see how I can answer this properly as it's not really a proper question. But people like the music they like as chance said. And if you like a type of music then surely you're also entitled to think it's great? The way you state 'becoming emo' confuses me as I see 'emo' only as a label for a particular music genre.

However, if you are refering to the way in which people attach labels to themselves to make themselves look 'cool' or whatever, then the answer to your question would be: 'because these people are insecure, like the majority of us, and take comfort in attaching themselves to what they perceive to be a stable identity'

In my opinion, at least.
    yeah except that emo currently carries with it more than just music. it includes a hell of a lot of fashion and has done for a long time.

Originally posted by T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
    thats my point.....thats what i was saying..... what would make any hardcore kid better than anyone else?..... evryones equal on their own opinion and therefore there is no better or worse music or people.....
    So can some people not be considered better than others?

...which I think it quite amusing. Isn't it interesting how people who like the same music dress similarly?! Aaaah, conformity, especially anti-conformity frustrates me.

Originally posted by xsecx
    I know I do.
    I consider myself better than a lot of people but i'm unsure if its because of the music i listen too

how can u feel superiour to other people, the only reason you can is that they do things they might regret when there drunk/stoned woteva
    there is no trying only doing

the strong survive the week must fall

Originally posted by sy bass
    how can u feel superiour to other people, the only reason you can is that they do things they might regret when there drunk/stoned woteva
    i'm not feeling superior because i don't drink, some people are just very shit.

Originally posted by straightXed
    i'm not feeling superior because i don't drink, some people are just very shit.
    Very good point.

89 of 423457
    Although it does contradict my last remark..... at times i do feel myself better than the people who do not have any struggles in life.....the people who have their whole life planned out for them and not have a chance to actually live..... but at the same time i dont feel better than them.... i feel for them as if guilt because i have the power to make descisions that will guide my life and others may not get this chance.....

Registered User words are dreams's Avatar

Re: umm

Originally posted by foreverinaday
    i i dont consider what people call emo now emo like taking back sunday and get up kids and the faint and all that shit brights too i consider stuff like saetia emo and hot cross and mewithoutyou but most people dont
    well, you're closer to being right than they are.
    i've been holding a mirror up to the sun and wondering if i'm enough.

Re: Re: Re: why do people like emo what do they see in it

yeah except that emo currently carries with it more than just music. it includes a hell of a lot of fashion and has done for a long time.
    when did the "emo fashion" become attached to the music? when did this happen to punk? or hardcore even? it seems that in many genres of music, eventually a style or fashion becomes irrevocably linked to it. i wonder if this is inevitable. of course, in any genre that has become victim to a certain fashion there are listeners, creators even, of music in that genre who are unswayed by the fashion. don't most genres carry with them more than just the music, whether this be a philosophy, attitude, fashion, or something else? i guess i just don't see how this would discredit or shame any particular genre of music.

Re: Re: Re: Re: why do people like emo what do they see in it

Originally posted by words are dreams
    when did the "emo fashion" become attached to the music? when did this happen to punk? or hardcore even? it seems that in many genres of music, eventually a style or fashion becomes irrevocably linked to it. i wonder if this is inevitable. of course, in any genre that has become victim to a certain fashion there are listeners, creators even, of music in that genre who are unswayed by the fashion. don't most genres carry with them more than just the music, whether this be a philosophy, attitude, fashion, or something else? i guess i just don't see how this would discredit or shame any particular genre of music.
    of course there are genre's where fashion is taken hand in hand with substance. There are genre's where fashion is a side effect and genre's there it's centerstage. emo and goth, it's right in the middle waving happily. It discredit's and shames it when it's deliberate and when it's written about inthe mass media.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why do people like emo what do they see in it

of course there are genre's where fashion is taken hand in hand with substance. There are genre's where fashion is a side effect and genre's there it's centerstage. emo and goth, it's right in the middle waving happily. It discredit's and shames it when it's deliberate and when it's written about inthe mass media.
    like i asked already, when did the "emo fashion" become attached to the music?

do you believe that the addition of a fashion to a genre of music is inevitable?

so, until a genre's fashion is written about in the mass media, the genre's music (you know, what actually matters...) is not discredited? so, punk is certainly discredited. hip-hop, discredited. emo, discredited. hardcore... a matter of time, if it hasn't already been?

if you listen to "emo" bands, read interviews, talk them to personally, etc, most of them care nothing about the fashion that the media has created. it is about the music. in every genre there are people who care more about the fashion than the music and philosophy (see: fashioncore), but do these people completely destroy any credibility the rest of the genre has? does a group of fans of the music take away from the bands who actually create the music? i'd say not.

Thread Information