Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Jewish

Being Jewish

You know what seems like loads of fun?
    Being Jewish.
    Most of my friends are Jewish and I really enjoy Jewish culture and the Hebrew Language, and the songs and the dancing and the services.

Sometimes I feel like I am Jewish and if people think I am, and if they ask me sometimes I say I am.

Sometimes I want to run around and say, "I love being Jewish"

But then I remember that I am not ethnically Jewish and technically I am not religiously Jewish.

So how can I reconcile these things. I am not Jewish, but as a Christian I adopt everything the Jews believe in plus a Messiah. Sometimes straight edge people are like I am drug free and God free and all those beliefs. I am not one of those people though.

I don't know does anyone relate to these things?
    I don't really know anyone who is Jewish and Straight Edge, though I am sure that if I thought about it I probably could.
    Last edited by funwithpinetrees; 07-31-2009 at 02:56 AM.

I sure hope this is a troll.
    FUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Segadoway View Post
    I sure hope this is a troll.
    Alas not.

Why would you hope that?

Is it because what I wrote was inappropriate in terms of what is said to be acceptable in this forum?

Fate is what we make Adam Edge hwc's Avatar

Lightbulb

This jew is ready for the weekend.lol

I know what you mean i am christian and i love the jewish culture and would love to lern more about it.

Still straight edge
    still standing here.

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funwithpinetrees View Post
    You know what seems like loads of fun?
    Being Jewish.
    Most of my friends are Jewish and I really enjoy Jewish culture and the Hebrew Language, and the songs and the dancing and the services.

Sometimes I feel like I am Jewish and if people think I am, and if they ask me sometimes I say I am.

Sometimes I want to run around and say, "I love being Jewish"

But then I remember that I am not ethnically Jewish and technically I am not religiously Jewish.

So how can I reconcile these things. I am not Jewish, but as a Christian I adopt everything the Jews believe in plus a Messiah. Sometimes straight edge people are like I am drug free and God free and all those beliefs. I am not one of those people though.

I don't know does anyone relate to these things?
    I don't really know anyone who is Jewish and Straight Edge, though I am sure that if I thought about it I probably could.
    so you keep kosher and saturday is your sabbath? You celebrate passover and drink wine at the seder? You don't believe in hell?

Fate is what we make Adam Edge hwc's Avatar

Lightbulb

hahahaa i just noticed "loads of Fun"

I got to say its one of the most difficult religions to become part of.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    so you keep kosher and saturday is your sabbath? You celebrate passover and drink wine at the seder? You don't believe in hell?
    I don't keep kosher, because these days who does? A lot of my friends are Reform Jews and they are all like, "it only says that in the Torah because it was before refrigeration, and modern if you mixed meat and milk it would spoil and Moses was trying to protect people." Sometimes it feels like they are Jewish in name only. though I have a few friends who are super frum and go all out every Shabbat with the whole not using electricity or lighting fires or writing.
    I don't drink wine at the the Seder because wine is usually alcoholic, and I am straight edge.

But I guess in one way when I see something that is straight edge related I feel proud to be a part of it. I feel the same way about things that are related to Jewish people, I feel proud as if though I am a member of this ethnic and religious group, though I am neither.
    It's just an interesting feeling,

I think this is ridiculous. You lie about being Jewish when you're not, neither ethnically or religiously? I understand the admiration; most of my husband's friends are Jewish and we're included in many of the celebrations, but claiming something you're not can be offensive. Imagine if you knew someone who appreciates the straightedge culture, but was not by any means sxe, claimed to be so.

I disagree, because like I feel like I am a part of this culture, as if though it is a part of me, I feel it. I have internalized it so much that to me this feels like a part of my identity.

Okay so I know straight edge and Christianity and religion is a thing people can talk about and have opinions about, however a true fact about me is that I am a Christian.
    When you look at the Bible the whole Old Testament is used by Jews. The stories of Joseph and Moses and Esther that I learned about in Sunday School are the same as the ones my Jewish friends learned at their equivalent. And not just those examples, but everything. My Christian belief is includes all of the Jewish beliefs. Essentially I am a Jew only my Messiah already came and said a lot of things that I add on to it.

I feel like if I said I was Jewish it wouldn't be a lie, because of what I said, and because I am young and I am still figuring out who I am and my identity and what it means to truly be a part of a community.

Quote Originally Posted by funwithpinetrees View Post
    I disagree, because like I feel like I am a part of this culture, as if though it is a part of me, I feel it. I have internalized it so much that to me this feels like a part of my identity.

Okay so I know straight edge and Christianity and religion is a thing people can talk about and have opinions about, however a true fact about me is that I am a Christian.
    When you look at the Bible the whole Old Testament is used by Jews. The stories of Joseph and Moses and Esther that I learned about in Sunday School are the same as the ones my Jewish friends learned at their equivalent. And not just those examples, but everything. My Christian belief is includes all of the Jewish beliefs. Essentially I am a Jew only my Messiah already came and said a lot of things that I add on to it.

I feel like if I said I was Jewish it wouldn't be a lie, because of what I said, and because I am young and I am still figuring out who I am and my identity and what it means to truly be a part of a community.
    It is one thing to understand that there is a connection between the Jewish culture and the Christian one; it's another to say you're something you're not. You are not ethnically Jewish, you are not religiously Jewish, and unless you start studying the Torah, have a bat mitzvah, and observing the high holidays, you're not culturally Jewish.

The Jewish people do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah for various reasons, including that they do not believe he was a descendent of King David due to the claim of a virgin birth, Christians do not follow the Torah and anyone that coming to change it is a false prophet (Duet. 13), and the concept of a trinity is rejected as idolatry.

I'm not trying to attack you by any means while you try to figure our identity out. In fact, you might want to look into Jews for Jesus in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post

I'm not trying to attack you by any means while you try to figure our identity out. In fact, you might want to look into Jews for Jesus in your search.
    yeah but jews for jesus is just another evangelical christian sect, who aren't really jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    yeah but jews for jesus is just another evangelical christian sect, who aren't really jewish.
    True, but if that's the path she wants to go, so be it.

It would be interesting to be a Christian who moved into Jews for Jesus as usually it is the other way. I have heard only bad things about them, thought I haven't researched the good. I am interested in the concept of Messianic Judaism however.

But that is all I foresee myself having to say, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone else want to talk more about Judaism?

Thread Information