Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand

I don't understand

I have been straight edge officially for a couple months and I took the time to look it up and understand it before I really decided I was. But I don't understand why so many people that are in my area claim to be edge but they drink caffeine and they don't listen to hardcore. I normally try not to act like a know it all but when I try to explain to them about straight edge they don't listen. it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. maybe it's just because of the environment of where I live or something. does anyone have some insight into this?

um caffeine isn't an edge break so whats the deal?
    and maybe you shouldn't try to explain straight edge to them and ask them what they think edge is about to find out if they really represent the values of it.

also i don't believe it matters what music you listen to when claiming edge although this is often debated
    my attempt at a one man band

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Kid+Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by kid_ugly View Post
    and maybe you shouldn't try to explain straight edge to them and ask them what they think edge is about to find out if they really represent the values of it.

also i don't believe it matters what music you listen to when claiming edge although this is often debated
    consumption of caffeine is counter what straight edge believes, just because people do it doesn't mean it isn't a contradiction.

if you take hardcore out of straight edge, you remove everything that makes it unique.

Quote Originally Posted by XCarsonSCX View Post
    I have been straight edge officially for a couple months and I took the time to look it up and understand it before I really decided I was. But I don't understand why so many people that are in my area claim to be edge but they drink caffeine and they don't listen to hardcore. I normally try not to act like a know it all but when I try to explain to them about straight edge they don't listen. it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. maybe it's just because of the environment of where I live or something. does anyone have some insight into this?
    it's the high concentration of hippies.

linsee
    I understand what you mean. It's frustrating to be passionate about something and completely understand it, and see others that are claiming to be something, or a part of something, and don't understand it completely. Just realize you can't change everyone, no matter how frustrating they may be.

I just had an incredibly frustrating conversation with some young kids that work for me. They were talking about bands and didn't understand what I was talking about what I said hardcore. One of them was like "oh I like hardcore" but didn't know who Bane is. How is that possible?

last time I checked caffeine is a drug, and so is taurine.

and I don't really mind them not being into hardcore or punk, it's mainly that they don't know where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by linsee View Post
    I understand what you mean. It's frustrating to be passionate about something and completely understand it, and see others that are claiming to be something, or a part of something, and don't understand it completely. Just realize you can't change everyone, no matter how frustrating they may be.

I just had an incredibly frustrating conversation with some young kids that work for me. They were talking about bands and didn't understand what I was talking about what I said hardcore. One of them was like "oh I like hardcore" but didn't know who Bane is. How is that possible?
    yeah, you're right, I guess I can try, and if they don't listen who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    it's the high concentration of hippies.
    lol, yeah probably. and there's not just the hippies, it's the concentration of people who just smoke cause they think there's nothing better to do, even tho we live by the beach and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    consumption of caffeine is counter what straight edge believes, just because people do it doesn't mean it isn't a contradiction.
    how so? just because its a drug that is used recreationally. i could understand but i would disagree as i've never heard caffeine directly addressed in any song and its been my understanding that caffeine doesn't counter sXe beliefs.
    my attempt at a one man band

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Kid+Ugly

how so? just because its a drug that is used recreationally. i could understand but i would disagree as i've never heard caffeine directly addressed in any song and its been my understanding that caffeine doesn't counter sXe beliefs.
    I don't even know how to respond to this. because it's a drug that's used recreationally, why should it be considered or treated any differently than any other drug? What makes caffeine so different and special from every other drug on earth? Like I said, just because people do it, doesn't mean it isn't a contradiction.

Not to leave out that caffiene is totally a crutch. People easily blow as much money on caffiene beverages as most do on cigarettes. Just so they can make it through the day.
    G.R.O.S.S.

good observation! its bullshit that people dont recognize it as a drug!
    My support has no conditions, I will always have your back.

last time I checked caffeine is a drug, and so is taurine.
    Last time I checked taurine is an essential amino acid found in human muscle tissue and most complete proteins.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaf View Post
    Last time I checked taurine is an essential amino acid found in human muscle tissue and most complete proteins.
    and? it's being concentrated and putting it into energy drinks but not for any kind of health benefit.

xsecx, can we put like guidelines or things so these posts don't keep coming up? So if they do you can just be like, "refer to post 31: on caffeine" haha.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyX View Post
    xsecx, can we put like guidelines or things so these posts don't keep coming up? So if they do you can just be like, "refer to post 31: on caffeine" haha.
    Second that.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    Second that.
    I've always hated this kind of attitude on a board. If people want to come here and ask the same question, and have the same conversation, I think they should be able to. FAQ's just seem completely devoid of character and I never want this place to turn into somewhere that people ask a question about straight edge and rather than creating dialog someone just gets pointed to a faq.

Thread Information