Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Roller Derby

OH! Texas is a bit closer. It takes 15 hours to be in Austin. Please tell me you're moving to San Antonio or Austin. Unfortunately my friends who lived there moved to Georgia (seriously, they're the third couple that I know in Atlanta now). But I'm always looking for an excuse for a road trip. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    OH! Texas is a bit closer. It takes 15 hours to be in Austin. Please tell me you're moving to San Antonio or Austin. Unfortunately my friends who lived there moved to Georgia (seriously, they're the third couple that I know in Atlanta now). But I'm always looking for an excuse for a road trip. :)
    I need to visit Atlanta to see why everyone is moving there, some of our friends in NY are looking to move there too!? We're shooting for Austin, things have been delayed it looks like, but we both love that town so much. It's one of the places I've felt most "at home" in since i came to the States. If we can find the perfect house there it would be worth the trip to visit for tea I can promise that!

So I'm officially sponsored by a local chiropractor (appropriate, don't you think?). His donation will pay for about half of my year's dues and another 20% off on visits for me and all the league members. To celebrate, I traded in my old skates for a brand new pair of Riedell 265 skates and called up my old team captain and told her I wanted to come back. :)

Hahaha, I think that's great Carla. Stupid question maybe but, will you need it?

Roller derby came to Antwerp to apparently. Saw a newsitem dedicated to an Antwerp team on local television. The one girl's nickname was CC Titmouse or something. They're organizing a Benelux tournament, so I guess it's more and more alive over here.
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

visit http://www.z-spot.be/
    Z-spot Gaming community
    No Ego's, no "pwnage", just gaming

Will I need the sponsorship or the chiropractics? I definitely need the chiro - I'm always in need after my car accident. The sponsorship itself came about randomly. It's not much, but it will pay for half of my year's dues.

Awesome! I love that the sport is growing worldwide. Maybe you can make it to the World Cup this year? haha

I didn't even know there's a world cup in roller derby!
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Z-spot Gaming community

I got to skate with three Team USA roller derby champs this weekend and last night: Smarty Pants, Mercy, and Atomatrix. Atomatrix, Hockey Honey, and Joy Collision actually skated with Arizona Roller Derby for a short while in 2012, but then went back to their hometown teams when Divisions Tournaments came about. It caused quite an upset in the derby world. However, we're on good terms with the ladies and they randomly make appearances at practice. It really freaks out the rookies.

Anyway, I learned so much and was so sore after this weekend (15 hours of skating). I felt much more confident at practice last night too.

What's happening in the roller derby world, Carla? There was a news item on tv last year about roller derby in Belgium, but it didn't lead to anything much. Never heard of it anymore over here.

Z-spot Gaming community

I returned to the track a year ago, but am skating with an USA Roller Sports (USARS) league. There are a few different rules and it's more of a recreational league, so it's just for fun.

The WFTDA Division 1 and Division 2 Championship will be aired on ESPN 3, November 11 3pm EST. If you want to see the best of the best, this would be it. Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch because my grandmother-in-law's 80th birthday party at the exact same time.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    The WFTDA Division 1 and Division 2 Championship will be aired on ESPN 3, November 11 3pm EST. If you want to see the best of the best, this would be it. Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch because my grandmother-in-law's 80th birthday party at the exact same time.
    So I watched most of the championships and I HATE HATE HATE the new strategy of triangulated/inverted blocking. This is when two skaters are facing the normal direction to block, but a third skater skates backwards and braces the first two girls for a stop block. It slows down the pace of the game is is boring to watch. It's effective at a higher level of play, but now every WFTDA league is practicing this technique. I hate skating backwards. I especially hate skating backwards with the added responsibility of bracing my teammates and placing them into position.

Thank goodness I had switched to an USA Roller Sports (USARS) league before retiring; their rules don't allow for any stopping on the track, which keeps the game moving quickly.

I know no one on here cares about derby, but I thought I'd vent because it's what I do.

Thread Information