Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I think I'm Straight Edge (sorta)

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7

    I think I'm Straight Edge (sorta)

    I've been drug free for as long as a can remember, and consciously avoided substance use since I was 15 years old. I've considered myself "edge" since I was fifteen, fully realizing the subculture associated with the word, but not participating in it, mostly because I couldn't find any truly straight edge people. That said I recently began listening to some actual edge bands (eg Minor Threat), and I'd like to listen to more actual edge music, could anyone recommend any good edge bands to me? Also, have I really been straight edge since I was fifteen, or am I just drug free, but dabbling in the straight edge movement?

  2. #2
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    I've been drug free for as long as a can remember, and consciously avoided substance use since I was 15 years old. I've considered myself "edge" since I was fifteen, fully realizing the subculture associated with the word, but not participating in it, mostly because I couldn't find any truly straight edge people. That said I recently began listening to some actual edge bands (eg Minor Threat), and I'd like to listen to more actual edge music, could anyone recommend any good edge bands to me? Also, have I really been straight edge since I was fifteen, or am I just drug free, but dabbling in the straight edge movement?
    I think that once you are listening to the music you have begun supporting straightedge, i mean there really isn't a quota to fill on how much "dabbling" should be done before you consider it being involved but you certainly seem to enjoy the music and want to listen to more, you also seem to appreciate that the music and subculture around straightedge is an important factor. So with that in mind, if i was in your shoes right now, i would be considering my self straightedge.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    I think that once you are listening to the music you have begun supporting straightedge, i mean there really isn't a quota to fill on how much "dabbling" should be done before you consider it being involved but you certainly seem to enjoy the music and want to listen to more, you also seem to appreciate that the music and subculture around straightedge is an important factor. So with that in mind, if i was in your shoes right now, i would be considering my self straightedge.
    Thanks for the answer. I've been listening to punk and ska for some time now, and just got into hardcore after seeing a Slapshot concert video on Youtube. I can't find the cds at any store though, and I'd feel guilty if I just downloaded the music. I guess I'll go to Ebay...

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    That said I recently began listening to some actual edge bands (eg Minor Threat), and I'd like to listen to more actual edge music, could anyone recommend any good edge bands to me?
    Have Heart, Verse, BAne, Champion etc (if u wnat the more modern hardcore sound)
    xArmed For Battlex, Bleeding Through etc (if u want the more metal influenced sound)
    Slapshot, 10 Yard Fight etc (if u like the old skl stuff)
    i dont really know a lot of good ones i just got into hardcore for a few months

    for non sxe hardcore i think Defeater, Bad Brains (Old material), The Carrier, Down to Nothing, Carpathian, Modern Life is War and ISHC are pretty good

    spineless and mindless. you flex your muscles and not your fucking head
    a deep man with a strong point made without one thoughtful word said?
    "huff and puff", the fierce fists will do the talking
    cant speak for yourself so your "crew"'s with you walking
    tell me whats worth fighting for...
    and it better be something greater than an evening of the score

    boy, your true strength sleeps behind your eyes!
    I WALK FEARLESS COZ I'M ARMED WITH A MIND!

  5. #5
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I've been listening to punk and ska for some time now, and just got into hardcore after seeing a Slapshot concert video on Youtube. I can't find the cds at any store though, and I'd feel guilty if I just downloaded the music. I guess I'll go to Ebay...
    Ebay is good but i'm sure you can find other distribution websites or go directly to the site of the actual label the records you are looking for are on.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  6. #6
    Registered User Pilaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    Youth of Today is a great example of a classic straight edge band.

    I guess Have Heart is a very popular contemporary one but they're breaking up pretty soon.

    Earth Crisis is...Earth Crisis. Very polarizing apparently. I quite like them in all their incarnations.

  7. #7
    Registered User lo0m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    364
    never fogret INSTED - one of the best old school bands :-) .. also you can use some punk eshop like http://interpunk.com/ .. you would pay lower postage than on ebay (from multiple sellers)..
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

  8. #8
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0m View Post
    never fogret INSTED - one of the best old school bands :-) .. also you can use some punk eshop like http://interpunk.com/ .. you would pay lower postage than on ebay (from multiple sellers)..
    Isn't interpunk like awfully uncool?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Isn't interpunk like awfully uncool?
    I was actually going to use it to get a slapshot shirt. What's so uncool about interpunk?

  10. #10
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Isn't interpunk like awfully uncool?
    they give away free stuff on contests!

    contests for free!
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

  11. #11
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    I was actually going to use it to get a slapshot shirt. What's so uncool about interpunk?
    I just got the impression it was more like an online hot topic, driven soley by aggressive selling ethics, profit making with consideration for a diy music ethic taking a backseat. I priced a few things up compared to buying them direct from labels and there is definitely considerable mark up but also i wonder what that profit goes toward. I just always figured part of the DIY approach was to cut away from large companies using large amounts of money and buying power to monopolise on what we all share in and hold dear to us. We are able to distribute our own music and have done for years, we can communicate directly with people at the label responsible and can steer away from the colder less involved corperate companies that really just want your money. It just seems like a company just maximising on a market gap that we essentially chose to rid ourselves of with the way hardcore has worked. I have always loved buying direct from labels knowing full well any profit making is going directly to those involved in the hardcore scene, it just made me feel good about spending money in a way to support the scene.

    This is just my view, maybe i'm old, maybe people don't think or feel like this anymore. I mean i am certainly not someone to tell you what is cool or not, i am guessing most people nowadays are happy with interpunk. Perhaps i am more removed from things than i thought, which makes me a little sad. But i hope you enjoy your shirt, i am actually inspired to put some slapshot on now.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I hadn't taken the time to think of it like that. And glad I could inspire someone to listen to Slapshot (Gotta love some Old Tyme Hardcore ;))

  13. #13
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I hadn't taken the time to think of it like that. And glad I could inspire someone to listen to Slapshot (Gotta love some Old Tyme Hardcore ;))
    I'm glad you understand, for a moment i thought i was wasting my time even typing it!
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Am I becoming straight edge ?
    By Frédz in forum Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
  2. straight edge
    By im_not_sxe77 in forum Commentary
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 04:54 PM
  3. What Does Straight Edge Mean To you
    By ToR-MoD in forum Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 11:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •