Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SxE question

SxE question

i know theres no casual sex allowed, but can you be straight edge but have hookups (i.e. making out, but no sex)?

If not, I'm a failure sXe.

If you're thinking about what's "allowed" you'd better step back and realize that the people who are gonna stick with this aren't following a set of rules at all. I choose not to participate in elements of the promiscuous sex popular culture because I personally find them distasteful, dishonest and potentially self destructive, not because straight edge told me I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistBassist View Post
    i know theres no casual sex allowed, but can you be straight edge but have hookups (i.e. making out, but no sex)?
    straight edge has nothing to do with sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaf View Post
    If you're thinking about what's "allowed" you'd better step back and realize that the people who are gonna stick with this aren't following a set of rules at all. I choose not to participate in elements of the promiscuous sex popular culture because I personally find them distasteful, dishonest and potentially self destructive, not because straight edge told me I couldn't.

which is good, since it really doesn't have anything to do with being straight edge. Picking a path based on what makes sense for you is the best thing, however, saying that straight edge isn't a set of rules isn't accurate. It is. There are things one can't do and call themselves straight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    straight edge has nothing to do with sex.
    agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyX View Post
    agree to disagree.
    what makes you think it does? How many songs can you point to that talk about sex? How many people do you know who said they sold out because of sex? What do you even have to do to sell out with regards to sex? People point to out of step, but it's honestly not reflected in the culture at all. Drinking, smoking and alcohol however are universally agreed upon.

well, veganism and no promiscuity are part of my edge, as I see both animal products consumption and sex as drugs :-)... if i'll write a song about it, would it be also part of your edge?.. i really doubt about it, so the "show me the song" argument is somehow pointless.. anyway, I understand that this is my personal view on the problem, not forcing anyone to accept anything...
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

Quote Originally Posted by lo0m View Post
    well, veganism and no promiscuity are part of my edge, as I see both animal products consumption and sex as drugs :-)... if i'll write a song about it, would it be also part of your edge?.. i really doubt about it, so the "show me the song" argument is somehow pointless.. anyway, I understand that this is my personal view on the problem, not forcing anyone to accept anything...
    Thats exactly the point though isn't it. One song wouldn't mean much, it would just be your opinion however if pretty much every straightedge song dealt with issues surrounding sex then it would be as commonly accepted as it is that sxe is an anti drug stance. So with that in mind the "show me the song" argument stands up pretty well, i mean its just asking for a consistant reflection of the beliefs and looking at it abstinance of sex isn't consistant throughout straightedge, be it through songs or behaviour, so to catogorically class it as a part of straightedge seems errenous. That of course doesn't or shouldn't taint your personal beliefs in anyway and you clearly accept it is just your personal view so i really wonder what point you are trying to make?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    what makes you think it does? How many songs can you point to that talk about sex? How many people do you know who said they sold out because of sex? What do you even have to do to sell out with regards to sex? People point to out of step, but it's honestly not reflected in the culture at all. Drinking, smoking and alcohol however are universally agreed upon.
    I'm straight edge because I want to live a healthy lifestyle. Because I want to stray myself from getting drunk and doing drugs and not getting into a mindset that is not of my own. I choose to live a full on focused lifestyle, to get what I want out of life, and to not be drug down by anything.

Now by saying that, your interpreting that I can go out and be promiscuous, fuck random bitches, not worry about getting diseases, who cares...fuck it right??? but then at the same time, not do drugs or drink because I "care" about myself, and my body, and my life.

I'm sorry, but to me being straight edge, YES does have certain guidelines it was started out from with mainly "no drugs, no alcohol", but I'm pretty sure the main overall outlook, was to be healthy and free from things that alter your mind, and fuck with you constant state of being. To be focused on life, and not "fuck up" intentionally by wasting away doing shitty things, ie. drugs, drinking, promiscuous sex.

Me you youth crew!
    If the world was flat I'd grind the edge
    To the positive youth my heart I pledge
    X on my hand now take the oath
    To positive youth to positive growth
    To positive minds, to pure clean souls <<<< PURE CLEAN SOULS!
    These will be all my goals
    Walk with me and my crew
    There is so much shit we can do
    And we won't stop until we're through

So getting a disease from fucking a random girl, thats a clean soul?

"I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and fuck my head
    Hang out with the living dead
    Snort white shit up my nose
    Pass out at the shows
    I don't even think about speed
    That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge"

This whole entire song he is speaking about not doing things that will fuck up your body, fuck with your mind. Please tell me how getting aids/hiv/etc. will not fuck your mind and body, and make you end up being the "living dead".

I mean you can interpret these things into "drugs, and alcohol only" but I have always, and will always interpret these songs as a healthy lifestyle, to stay focused and free of things that can hurt/kill me.

Me you youth crew!
    If the world was flat I'd grind the edge
    To the positive youth my heart I pledge
    X on my hand now take the oath
    To positive youth to positive growth
    To positive minds, to pure clean souls <<<< PURE CLEAN SOULS!
    These will be all my goals
    Walk with me and my crew
    There is so much shit we can do
    And we won't stop until we're through

So getting a disease from fucking a random girl, thats a clean soul?

"I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and fuck my head
    Hang out with the living dead
    Snort white shit up my nose
    Pass out at the shows
    I don't even think about speed
    That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge"

This whole entire song he is speaking about not doing things that will fuck up your body, fuck with your mind. Please tell me how getting aids/hiv/etc. will not fuck your mind and body, and make you end up being the "living dead".

I mean you can interpret these things into "drugs, and alcohol only" but I have always, and will always interpret these songs as a healthy lifestyle, to stay focused and free of things that can hurt/kill me.
    That is great, but the examples you gave don't specifically state what you are trying to prove. It is your interpretation of them, and its an interpretation that is not widely held by the straight edge community. The only song I have noticed anything about sex was out of step, and as Dusty pointed out when I had the same debate with him years ago, was that if out of step was to be taken literally, playing golf would be breaking edge.
    Later Days

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman004 View Post
    That is great, but the examples you gave don't specifically state what you are trying to prove. It is your interpretation of them, and its an interpretation that is not widely held by the straight edge community. The only song I have noticed anything about sex was out of step, and as Dusty pointed out when I had the same debate with him years ago, was that if out of step was to be taken literally, playing golf would be breaking edge.
    My only problem here really is....how can one call themself straight edge, be so serious about something, so real, and so caring about their constant state of being, their health, and their lifestyle, but then its ok to fuck your life away, and get a disease from some dumb broad you met that night that decides to spread her legs, cause your cute....not caring who you really are?

Now that last sentence might have came off sexist, but it's not in anyway. Because not all girls are dumb broads, but I do however strongly believe if you open your legs on the 1st night of meeting someone,....do you really deserve a more respectful then that? I mean, that goes for guys too.

I'm straight edge because I want to live a healthy lifestyle. Because I want to stray myself from getting drunk and doing drugs and not getting into a mindset that is not of my own. I choose to live a full on focused lifestyle, to get what I want out of life, and to not be drug down by anything.

Now by saying that, your interpreting that I can go out and be promiscuous, fuck random bitches, not worry about getting diseases, who cares...fuck it right??? but then at the same time, not do drugs or drink because I "care" about myself, and my body, and my life.

I'm sorry, but to me being straight edge, YES does have certain guidelines it was started out from with mainly "no drugs, no alcohol", but I'm pretty sure the main overall outlook, was to be healthy and free from things that alter your mind, and fuck with you constant state of being. To be focused on life, and not "fuck up" intentionally by wasting away doing shitty things, ie. drugs, drinking, promiscuous sex.
    so did you sell out when you get into a fight or when you involved in that sports team riot? That's not healthy behavior. Do you gamble? Do you get physicals yearly? What else do you do to keep yourself healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman004 View Post
    Your also proving my point further here. If you were to take a song so LITERALLY, that it ONLY means "drugs and alcohol", then yes golf would so called be breaking edge. But that is the point, the song is meant to be taken as a whole, about not consuming/doing anything that will hurt you and/or your mind. If anything, it seems as people take these songs word for word, and not look at the overall point of it all. They aren't literally stating "golf is breaking edge", they are making a point.

Thread Information