Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Life decisions....

  1. #1
    Straight Edge Chef JoeyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Posts
    506

    Life decisions....

    Alright let me start off by saying, as most of you know I've been going to Culinary School for the past 1 1/2yrs., but recently I had to back out, because I cannot get anymore loans. Now possibly down the road I could go back when I get money, but there is honestly something I've been considering for a long time now...

    Becoming Vegan.

    Now I won't lie, I love cooking, meat/dairy/etc. has always tasted good to me, and has been something I've been around all my life, considering my family is full of hunters. However I stopped hunting over 4+ yrs. ago. And even though I like the taste of meat, thats just something that has come natural, but that doesn't mean thats what I want....and I can honestly say I feel I could easily do without.

    Now you might ask...why?

    My reasoning for thinking about becoming vegan is for several reasons.
    1. When I used to hunt, I loved the adrenaline of shooting a gun, but I hated the end result in all honesty, killing an animal was never the "thrill" of it all. I get the same thrill from paintballing.

    2. I honestly have always hated the unethical ways of farming, raising, breeding, etc. of animals in anyway. It has always disgusted me, but being raised in a family full of meat eaters, growing up I had no other choice.

    3. I want to be a healthier, more fit, more aware of my physical body, if that makes sense.


    Now, I can still just as easily become a chef, a vegan chef. Which would not change my love for cooking in any way, actually it would make me prolly have more fun, because I can find new interesting vegan foods, and things to cook.

    This is something that has been boggling my mind lately, and something I seriously want to consider. Now if I DID make the decision to become vegan, I wouldn't be able to finish school because of the daily ingredients used obviously. Now that honestly doesn't completely bother me, I found a vegan culinary school that I could go to, I think it's in NY.

    But I was just wondering some opinions of others....now I know obviously that the ultimate decision is mine, I just figured I'd throw it out there, and see what some of ya have to say.

  2. #2
    Registered User lo0m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    364
    from my perspective (i'm vegan and i love cooking) this a great thing! so, if you're feeling that this is for you (and don't blame me but i think this is good for everyone) GO FOR IT!
    i'll keep my fingers crossed
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

  3. #3
    Straight Edge Chef JoeyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Posts
    506
    do you have a screenname or something? I need a sourceful person to talk to about this, about what is vegan and whats not. I mean I know obvious things, but I'm talking about things a person wouldn't know.

  4. #4
    Registered User lo0m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    364
    if you're refering to the AIM/ICQ thing i don't use them anymore but you can easily reach me through PM here on board or via email (lo0m777<at>gmail.com).. i'm opened to questions so if you have any - don't hesitate to ask...
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

  5. #5
    Registered User elmtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19
    I was very close to going to culinary school before I became vegetarian and then vegan.
    (Which one did you go to? I'm also from Philly.)
    You can also feel free to contact me with any questions regarding veganism.

  6. #6
    Straight Edge Chef JoeyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by elmtree View Post
    I was very close to going to culinary school before I became vegetarian and then vegan.
    (Which one did you go to? I'm also from Philly.)
    You can also feel free to contact me with any questions regarding veganism.
    The Art Institute of Philadelphia.

    I just moved out of Philly, but I live in Lancaster now. So I'm still pretty close to Philly.

  7. #7
    Being Mean CarlaRant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,193
    Okay, this is going to sound awful coming from a fellow vegan, but I think you should finish the school you're at now. I say this because I used to work as an academic counselor before becoming a teacher and found that when you switch schools, it's just a nightmare. I would think that being versatile enough cook with meat and without is a plus to any potential employer. Is there any course available that specializes in vegetarian dishes? Or maybe talk to the head chef about what you want to do and see if he/she would work with you. OR try to get placed in a veg*n restaurant as part of your externship. Other than that, go vegan!

  8. #8
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DC area
    Posts
    465
    those art institutes are fucking expensive! my wife is in one.
    anyway... sounds to me like you have all the right reasons for a vegan lifestyle because they are similar to mine! like the fact i couldn't take an animals life so why would i let someone else do it for me just to feed me... soooooo DO IT!!!!
    My support has no conditions, I will always have your back.

  9. #9
    Straight Edge Chef JoeyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    Okay, this is going to sound awful coming from a fellow vegan, but I think you should finish the school you're at now. I say this because I used to work as an academic counselor before becoming a teacher and found that when you switch schools, it's just a nightmare. I would think that being versatile enough cook with meat and without is a plus to any potential employer. Is there any course available that specializes in vegetarian dishes? Or maybe talk to the head chef about what you want to do and see if he/she would work with you. OR try to get placed in a veg*n restaurant as part of your externship. Other than that, go vegan!
    The only thing with that is, I don't know if I would "switch" schools. I really have no idea what else I would do lol. I wanted to go to school to be a teacher, but I have "hand tattoos" so unless I was a college professor, I don't think that would work. The only other thing I thought of that I think is interesting is psychology, but I don't know yet. Still trying to figure everything out.

  10. #10
    Straight Edge Chef JoeyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    those art institutes are fucking expensive! my wife is in one.
    anyway... sounds to me like you have all the right reasons for a vegan lifestyle because they are similar to mine! like the fact i couldn't take an animals life so why would i let someone else do it for me just to feed me... soooooo DO IT!!!!
    The Art Institutes ARE fucking expensive. It is ridiculous. I'm still considering it, and it is definitely something I will need help with, so if I ask questions alot when/if I make this decision, please be patient with me haha.

  11. #11
    Registered User MrMcKeigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    145
    Well if I can say one thing to avoid being a hypocrite, it's don't go into it without being sure it's for you. Being vegan is a pretty hardcore commitment built on firm morals. If you get into it and then decide it's not for you, you may end up feeling worse about it coming out (Experience of a friend).

    I'm just throwing this in, not to persuade you or anything, but I'd figure a chef such as yourself would be pretty reluctant to limit so many options for cooking yourself food.

  12. #12
    Straight Edge Chef JoeyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcKeigue View Post
    Well if I can say one thing to avoid being a hypocrite, it's don't go into it without being sure it's for you. Being vegan is a pretty hardcore commitment built on firm morals. If you get into it and then decide it's not for you, you may end up feeling worse about it coming out (Experience of a friend).

    I'm just throwing this in, not to persuade you or anything, but I'd figure a chef such as yourself would be pretty reluctant to limit so many options for cooking yourself food.
    Definitely. That's why I'm not just gonna go "oh I'm vegan now" all of a sudden. This is something that will be a little while, and something I need to honestly figure out. And also, I NEVER commit to anything I'm not 100% sure about, I always stick with what I commit myself to, because I don't commit myself to anything I have doubts about.

    I mean a long time ago, I drank alot, I was the type of person then, that you would've been like...."Joey? become edge?...hahahahaha yeah right, that would never happen". And here I'am, edge for 6+ years, and know that I have no desire, and will never in my future have a desire to do drugs/drink/etc. ever again.

    I just gotta figure out if veganism is for me.

    And like I said about cooking, cooking meat or not, I love cooking, I don't have to use animals ingredients of any kind, to still cook and enjoy cooking.

  13. #13
    Registered User elmtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19
    There is a vegan chef who calls himself the Sexy Vegan (you can find his videos on youtube.) He, and numerous other chefs, have said you learn more by just getting a job in a kitchen rather than going to culinary school. Of course you start small and have to work your way up. It's just a thought.

  14. #14
    Straight Edge Chef JoeyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by elmtree View Post
    There is a vegan chef who calls himself the Sexy Vegan (you can find his videos on youtube.) He, and numerous other chefs, have said you learn more by just getting a job in a kitchen rather than going to culinary school. Of course you start small and have to work your way up. It's just a thought.
    I feel weird "youtubing" the "Sexy Vegan" hahahaha. Nah, but I will look it up, thank you. It's common knowledge to know that you were learn more in an actual kitchen, it is just that with todays society, everybody wants a "degree" ya know. Most half decent restaurants say at "least" 2 years of prior kitchen experience, and how can you get an experience in a restaurant, if everywhere requires 2 previous yrs. of experience lol. So thats why I initially went to school for it, otherwise I would've just been a chef from day 1 haha.

    This whole ordeal is still up in the air for me,....right now it sucks cause I just moved back from Philly to Lancaster cause like I said I can't get loans....so I need to get a job back here, so right now I'm just bumming it, and my only source of food, is whats given to me. Once I get back on my feet I'll be able to make this decision better. I mean I'm not saying everytime I fall on my feet in life I'm gonna eat meat/dairy/etc., cause that wouldn't be the case, its just I need to try and eat vegan products and see if its what is for me.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    46
    hey i just wanna thank you coz i hav always wondered why people become vegan/vegetarian
    i dont hav any good suggestions but u can refrain from eating meat/dairy products etc and behave like a vegan but not label urself as one and still study at that school until u graduate THEN you can be fully vegan
    idk just a thought
    if it sounds stupid forgive me im 15 haha

    spineless and mindless. you flex your muscles and not your fucking head
    a deep man with a strong point made without one thoughtful word said?
    "huff and puff", the fierce fists will do the talking
    cant speak for yourself so your "crew"'s with you walking
    tell me whats worth fighting for...
    and it better be something greater than an evening of the score

    boy, your true strength sleeps behind your eyes!
    I WALK FEARLESS COZ I'M ARMED WITH A MIND!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. afther-life?
    By TransientWind in forum Religion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •