Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Edge on 18th Birthday! Your opinion?

Beave

Breaking Edge on 18th Birthday! Your opinion?

So what do you guys think?
    Lets take my case for example, In 2 years I will be 18 and I consider that I have been sXe for hmm... lets say 6 months (well since I chose to take on the commitment properly) and can proudly say I have never be drunk. When it comes to my 18th birthday what would you think if I drank alcohol? Would you think less of me because I broke the commitment? Would you think that it is ok that I experimented with it?
    It's just a hypothetical though lol, I'd prefer to be at a gig honestly than hanging my head over the toilet lol. I just want to know your opinion about it.

breaking edge on 18/21st birthday is one of the most stupid things i have ever heard of.. i'm not a militiant edge and i would continue a friendship with and edgebreaker.. i don't care as it's everyone's choice.. but - claiming edge when it's illegal to drink and break it when you're approaching legal age is ... not understanding the purpose/spirit of sxe in the first place..

just my 2 cents...
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

why are you straight edge?
    My support has no conditions, I will always have your back.

Quote Originally Posted by beave View Post
    So what do you guys think?
    Lets take my case for example, In 2 years I will be 18 and I consider that I have been sXe for hmm... lets say 6 months (well since I chose to take on the commitment properly) and can proudly say I have never be drunk. When it comes to my 18th birthday what would you think if I drank alcohol? Would you think less of me because I broke the commitment? Would you think that it is ok that I experimented with it?
    It's just a hypothetical though lol, I'd prefer to be at a gig honestly than hanging my head over the toilet lol. I just want to know your opinion about it.
    Do what you want, its up to you and you should make the choice based on what you think not what others think. If you are against drinking though then why would you experiment? If you aren't against drinking then why are you alligning yourself with something that is?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Do what you want, its up to you and you should make the choice based on what you think not what others think. If you are against drinking though then why would you experiment? If you aren't against drinking then why are you alligning yourself with something that is?
    a better way of saying what i said haha!
    My support has no conditions, I will always have your back.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    a better way of saying what i said haha!

Thanks, yours had the ecconomy of words in its favour though.

Beave
    Haha, no I said hypothetical for a reason. I actually have no intention of doing this because I get daily reminders at school about why it is so stupid and pointless, this question was actually inspired by a particularly idiotic person at school who for some reason said that "I reckon I could be sXe but I would still probably drink on my 18th." I have no idea why the hell they would say that but I just wanted to know your opinions about it, using myself in the hypothetical situation was just a way for me to explain the question really.

Oh and lo0m I actually have a friend a school today who started to draw X's on his hands because I had mentioned it and had explained how the whole symbolism of the X came about. Needless to say it quite angered me as well because he thought of it as a simple purposeless action by claiming edge because he didn't understand the "purpose/spirit" of it and that it can be quite meaningful to some people. Just thought I'd mention that because it is those type of people that don't understand it and that want to attach a group with themselves, that can degrade the meanings of the movement so I totally agree with your statement.

Haha, no I said hypothetical for a reason. I actually have no intention of doing this because I get daily reminders at school about why it is so stupid and pointless, this question was actually inspired by a particularly idiotic person at school who for some reason said that "I reckon I could be sXe but I would still probably drink on my 18th." I have no idea why the hell they would say that but I just wanted to know your opinions about it, using myself in the hypothetical situation was just a way for me to explain the question really.
    Then ask the questions of yourself hypothetically!!

Beave
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Then ask the questions of yourself hypothetically!!
    hmm.. I wonder if that may be the reason why in the question I wrote that it was 'hypothetical'....?

Anyway who cares it's not like it is a big deal, I just thought I would explain it a bit better for those that misunderstood.

hmm.. I wonder if that may be the reason why in the question I wrote that it was 'hypothetical'....?

Anyway who cares it's not like it is a big deal, I just thought I would explain it a bit better for those that misunderstood.
    He read "hypothetical." He was emphasizing that you should ask YOURSELF how silly it sounds.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm simply saying that for the hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question you should ask yourself...hypothetically, the questions that were given in response.

Beave
    ah.. Thankyou very much for clarifying straightXed. Sorry for the missunderstanding, but I guess it can be quite easy to get confused when the word hypothetical is thrown around so many times lol, sorry about that. XXX

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    why are you straight edge?
    I 2nd this.

I can't even begin to comprehend my reaction to this original post haha.

I would find it passing strange for someone to choose to break Edge at 18 in my country (the USA) since the legal age of drinking is 21. (I personally feel the legal age should be 18 or less, just to break the taboo surrounding underage drinking and to remove the "cool/rebellious" image which may help save lives but that's a different topic.)

In any even I'm 25 now. My 18th birthday, and my 21st came and went and were just other days that I was straight edge. I'm straight edge today, and next year, and for the remainder of my natural life because I'm very comfortable this way and feel it's a good asset in my life. So that's about all I feel about this subject, except that if a person is looking for a specific age/date or excuse to break edge they don't really...they're probably not really edge for the right reasons any way.

ah.. Thankyou very much for clarifying straightXed. Sorry for the missunderstanding, but I guess it can be quite easy to get confused when the word hypothetical is thrown around so many times lol, sorry about that. XXX
    no worries

Thread Information