Thread: Yeast and Breadmaking

Yeast and Breadmaking

I can easily make delicious bread without using yeast of any kind. Cause yeast is a leavener, and I can use steam as a leavener, and many other sorts of substitutions to make breads and such, however, I'm wondering on the sxe outlook on yeast. I'm confused as if using yeast in things like breads, is considered "breaking" or not. Someone please give me an answer, with good reasoning. Not just a yes or no.

ok, my 2 cents...

yeast in bread does not change your state of mind (it does not intoxicate you) and (i'm not good in chemics) i believe it needs a proper temperature and sugar to convert it to ethanol. and even then it would need bigger amounts to make an portion of ethanol that could ruin you (just saying). another question is if , in this case, the ethanol would be in the bread after baking.. i believe not.. otherwise there would be "alcobakeries" all over this planet :)

so i think it's not even close to breaking but i'm opened to discussion..
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

Quote Originally Posted by lo0m View Post
    ok, my 2 cents...

yeast in bread does not change your state of mind (it does not intoxicate you) and (i'm not good in chemics) i believe it needs a proper temperature and sugar to convert it to ethanol. and even then it would need bigger amounts to make an portion of ethanol that could ruin you (just saying). another question is if , in this case, the ethanol would be in the bread after baking.. i believe not.. otherwise there would be "alcobakeries" all over this planet :)

so i think it's not even close to breaking but i'm opened to discussion..
    this is my view. yes alcohol is a natural by product of yeast doing it's thing, but it's such a tiny amount that there's no point in worrying about it.

Now what do you think on using wine's or alcohol's in cooking? Now I personally do not use alcohol of any kind in my dishes, as I've stated before, I substitute things like cherry wines with cherry juice, and so on, I never use any kind of alcohol in my dishes ever....however, instructors ALWAYS say to me "it cooks out 85% of the alcohol when you cook alcohol" which is a true fact, but I don't think that 15% is little enough to "by bass" persay. Your thoughts?

that is true... the alcohol will cook out for the most part, but i don't use it.. i don't buy it to support the industry, i don't even see the point for using wine in cooking as i really don't like the taste of wine.. and i'm vegan btw and wine is used to cook meat usually :-)
    i guess it kinda depends on the portions.. if you're cooking for 2 persons and you have to use half liter of wine, it's totally different from cooking for 6 persons and using just one deciliter... but as i said - it's not for me either..
    Take the time. Don't be blind. You will find. An open mind. There's no need for you to tell me what I've done wrong. I can, can see, all this contradiction around me. I just, just want, I want to be free. Don't question my actions. I never said that I was flawless

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyX View Post
    Now what do you think on using wine's or alcohol's in cooking? Now I personally do not use alcohol of any kind in my dishes, as I've stated before, I substitute things like cherry wines with cherry juice, and so on, I never use any kind of alcohol in my dishes ever....however, instructors ALWAYS say to me "it cooks out 85% of the alcohol when you cook alcohol" which is a true fact, but I don't think that 15% is little enough to "by bass" persay. Your thoughts?
    alcohol in food is totally different thing for me. I avoid it, not because of the alcoholic content, because it really is negligible. I avoid it because I refuse to support the alcoholic beverage industry buy either directly or indirectly buying alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    alcohol in food is totally different thing for me. I avoid it, not because of the alcoholic content, because it really is negligible. I avoid it because I refuse to support the alcoholic beverage industry buy either directly or indirectly buying alcohol.
    So if you would get home-made wine for example and you take a negligible ammounts in a food from this...is it ok for you?
    I'm just asking...

Quote Originally Posted by XTrueColorsX View Post
    So if you would get home-made wine for example and you take a negligible ammounts in a food from this...is it ok for you?
    I'm just asking...
    I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it from an ethical perspective, but I wouldn't accept or buy wine from anyone so it's a moot point for me, but I couldn't fault someone who really felt like they had to cook with alcohol and wanted to do so without supporting the alcohol industry.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it from an ethical perspective, but I wouldn't accept or buy wine from anyone so it's a moot point for me, but I couldn't fault someone who really felt like they had to cook with alcohol and wanted to do so without supporting the alcohol industry.
    I see.

I always get taunted persay by my instructors, of course in an innocent joking way, but they say it won't affect me if I used it. Being a chef, we "deglaze" things alot, for sauces. Such as if you sear a piece of steak in a pan, and then take the steak out and finish it in the oven, deglazing would be to put wine or acidic juice of some kind in the pan, to melt down the leftover pieces in the pan, to thicken up and become a sauce, which is called "deglazing the pan", and alcohol is used in this process a lot for flavor, acidity, etc. I personally don't use alcohol at all like I said, I use acidic juices, I just can't decide weather I feel it is wrong or not, either way I choose not to use it at all just for the purpose of keeping it out of my body all together.

I always get taunted persay by my instructors, of course in an innocent joking way, but they say it won't affect me if I used it. Being a chef, we "deglaze" things alot, for sauces. Such as if you sear a piece of steak in a pan, and then take the steak out and finish it in the oven, deglazing would be to put wine or acidic juice of some kind in the pan, to melt down the leftover pieces in the pan, to thicken up and become a sauce, which is called "deglazing the pan", and alcohol is used in this process a lot for flavor, acidity, etc. I personally don't use alcohol at all like I said, I use acidic juices, I just can't decide weather I feel it is wrong or not, either way I choose not to use it at all just for the purpose of keeping it out of my body all together.
    what is your reason to not use it if you don't know how you feel about it?

just deglaze it with caffeine free dr pepper!!!
    My support has no conditions, I will always have your back.

what is your reason to not use it if you don't know how you feel about it?
    I just choose to not use it at all in anyway basically to be on the safe side. I don't consume alcohol anyways, so why not just rid it all together, even in miniscule amounts ya know.

Thread Information