For the past 2 weeks, the Tamil population in Toronto have been protesting as a way to convince the Canadian government and American government to act on the civil war in Sri Lanka. Now, I understand the right to protest and I completely understand their desire to get help to their families and friends, but the way that they are conducting themselves is absolutely disgusting.

Examples:
Last sunday, the largest east/west freeway in Toronto was shut down because the protesters decided to break through police barricades and then use teenage girls to walk into traffic to stop traffic so they could take over and shut down the highway to get their message across. And they lined up Teenage girls and young children in the first line face to face with the riot police who were there. They were essentially trying to shut down the city with their protest, and they were using their children to do it. To me that is disgusting.

Today, there is another huge protest going on in Toronto, and the police set up barricades as a way to prevent the protesters from going on to live traffic lanes. The protesters have recently started to attack the police and break through the barricades, and some of them are holding children while doing it because they know that the police won't be able to do anything to them while they hold children. They are essentially using their children as shields, and that is absolutely horrendous.

And they are just generally misinformed. Many of their protests have been on the lawn at the Ontario legislature. What do they think the government of Ontario can do? If they actually researched things they would have realised that Stephen Harper was in Toronto today for a press conference and protested where he was going to be. But I am willing to bet none of them even knew he was in town.

And they have made many claims that the Tamil Tigers are not a terrorist group and Stephen Harper was wrong to label them that way, despite the fact we are talking about a group who has murdered countless numbers of people, revolutionised suicide bombing by creating the vests that are currently worn by islamic suicide bombers, and they were the first group to use women as suicide bombers. And yet these protestors are comparing the tigers to Nelson Mandela. What?! Am I missing something?!

Like I said, the situation in Sri Lanka is grave and I am not against helping, nor am I against the right of these people to protest in Toronto. What I am against is them thinking they have the right to shut down an entire city, attack police officers while breaking through police barricades while using their children as shields, then claim that their rights to protest are being denied. Their actions in the past week have been disgusting, and I am really frustrated by it so I just needed to rant a little.