Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roller Derby

Roller Derby

I've been invited to the closed try outs for the Arizona Derby Dames. I'm only a little hesistant because this is the league that broke off from my former league, the parent league, AZ Roller Derby a year after formation. (aka known grudge) However, I'm not fully committed to AZRD because when I broke my ankle and was in 2 serious car accidents, did anyone contact me? Hell no, which I found ironic since they publicly tout "family" above all else.

It is also quite a time commitment and also includes dues. I would hate to cut back on my yoga a/o belly dancing. Hubby has just pointed out these points as well as the fact that AZDD is not part of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA), which contains all of the rules and the AZDD prides itself on not having as many rules. And rules are made to be broken, right? ;)

The girl that formed AZDD is straightedge and tells me every time I see her that she'd love to have another sxe girl on the team. She's been nothing but cool with me since we met on AZRD and seems to be impressed with my skating abilities. She's been trying to recruit me for the last two years.

Bottom line is that I love skating and playing derby and would like to have one more shot before having a family. I'm fairly certain no one has faced this decision before, but if you have experienced something similiar, I would love to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    I've been invited to the closed try outs for the Arizona Derby Dames. I'm only a little hesistant because this is the league that broke off from my former league, the parent league, AZ Roller Derby a year after formation. (aka known grudge) However, I'm not fully committed to AZRD because when I broke my ankle and was in 2 serious car accidents, did anyone contact me? Hell no, which I found ironic since they publicly tout "family" above all else.

It is also quite a time commitment and also includes dues. I would hate to cut back on my yoga a/o belly dancing. Hubby has just pointed out these points as well as the fact that AZDD is not part of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA), which contains all of the rules and the AZDD prides itself on not having as many rules. And rules are made to be broken, right? ;)

The girl that formed AZDD is straightedge and tells me every time I see her that she'd love to have another sxe girl on the team. She's been nothing but cool with me since we met on AZRD and seems to be impressed with my skating abilities. She's been trying to recruit me for the last two years.

Bottom line is that I love skating and playing derby and would like to have one more shot before having a family. I'm fairly certain no one has faced this decision before, but if you have experienced something similiar, I would love to hear from you.
    so what is actually involved besides girls skating around in a circle and hitting each other?

I can't really help, nothing similar to draw upon, at least nothing comes to mind...but yoga is way cool, i would personally invest time in that over roller derby. But then roller derby isnt really geared toward me, good luck with making your mind up.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    so what is actually involved besides girls skating around in a circle and hitting each other?
    The point is for one girl (the jammer) to pass a group of girls (the pack) while racing the jammer from the other team to get points in a timed (2 minutes) round/jam. The whole game is played within a minimum of 60 minutes, divided into two 30-minute periods.

1st Whistle Blows
    Pack (4 girls from each team) starts racing

2nd Whistle Blows
    Jammers race each other to become Lead Jammer
    *Lead Jammer can "call off the jam" or stop the race at any time by patting her hips.

Each opposing player that the jammers pass in the second (or third or fourth, etc) lap is a point.

All the while, the pack is trying to block and help the appropriate jammers.

Illegal hits include
    -hitting anywhere above the shoulders
    -booty
    -back
    -back thigh
    -below mid-thigh

Illegal blocking includes
    -throwing elbows
    -head butting
    -use of hands and forearms.
    This basically restricts the girls to positioning herself in front of the other player, hip bumps, and shoulder shoves.

If the jammers are stuck at any time, the lead girl in the pack, the Pivot, may switch helmet caps with the jammer. Thus, becoming the jammer. This is more more difficult than it sounds and isn't done very often.

There are a ton of rules, but that's the simple overview of the game. http://rules.wftda.com/wp-content/up...ersion_4_0.pdf

I'll tell you, the practices are brutal. I don't think I was ever in better shape than when I was playing derby, even when I played softball, soccer, volleyball or ran track in high school.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try out. I figured out my schedule and it's definitely feasible to continue my yoga and belly dance practice while doing this too. My mother is really excited-she used to play derby in the 70s. :D

Wish me luck--try outs tomorrow.

As if anyone cares....an update: I made the league, but decided not to pursue it any further.

My life has been too crazy lately, especially since school started up again last week. There are lot of new rules at this school about submitting lesson plans, having the students do pre and post assessments, and calling parents within the first two weeks. An hour commute and keeping up a workout routine has left me running on 4 hours of sleep. It's times like these that I wish I drink coffee.

Now....more grading.

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    As if anyone cares....an update: I made the league, but decided not to pursue it any further.

My life has been too crazy lately, especially since school started up again last week. There are lot of new rules at this school about submitting lesson plans, having the students do pre and post assessments, and calling parents within the first two weeks. An hour commute and keeping up a workout routine has left me running on 4 hours of sleep. It's times like these that I wish I drink coffee.

Now....more grading.
    I care, and I wish you had stuck to it and went in the league.

Work and life before hobby though unfortunately, it sucks.
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

Thank you. :)

I think my focus on yoga and belly dancing are enough hobbies right now...and the best for this period of my life.

linsee
    I think it's awesome you went through with the tryouts even though you decided not to do it.

I'd really like to try yoga. It seems like something I could get in to.

Sucks that you didn't have to time to run with it in the end. I'm glad you posted about the rules though by the way, i'd always wondered what the heck was going on with how the sport was played!

Sounds like you have plenty going on even without roller derby .

Thanks ladies. Maybe later in life....

Quote Originally Posted by linsee View Post
    I think it's awesome you went through with the tryouts even though you decided not to do it.

I'd really like to try yoga. It seems like something I could get in to.
    It's great!!! When I started, I could barely touch my toes...now I'm doing balancing and twisting poses. It has also helped my concentration and stress levels. I would suggest starting at a community center because they provide the equipment and it's usually pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by xvunderx View Post
    Sucks that you didn't have to time to run with it in the end. I'm glad you posted about the rules though by the way, i'd always wondered what the heck was going on with how the sport was played!

Sounds like you have plenty going on even without roller derby .
    You're welcome. I know I can get a little crazy when it comes to talking/writing about the topic. It was just such a big part of my life for the last few years. Ah well....

Thanks ladies. Maybe later in life....

It's great!!! When I started, I could barely touch my toes...now I'm doing balancing and twisting poses. It has also helped my concentration and stress levels. I would suggest starting at a community center because they provide the equipment and it's usually pretty cheap.

You're welcome. I know I can get a little crazy when it comes to talking/writing about the topic. It was just such a big part of my life for the last few years. Ah well....
    Is there a way to be involved on a "part time" level? Like just play for fun and no obligations at all?

My old league just started up a membership that would allow me to skate with the girls during practices, but I wouldn't be allowed to play games per WFTDA rules.

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    My old league just started up a membership that would allow me to skate with the girls during practices, but I wouldn't be allowed to play games per WFTDA rules.
    So you can have fun and get some exercise without all of the commitments of having to play games and stuff. I hope you can do this?
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

Ah fuck it

I just started the P90X workout in preparation for my first summer back with AZRD. I was at the last game and kept thinking, "I should be out there." I've been skating with my old teammates and they've been very encouraging. So now that I have my first full year of teaching under my belt, I feel like I won't have to work so hard next year and will have more time for derby. :D

Anyway, has anyone else tried this workout? It's intense, but I'm able to still move afterwards. I can't really follow the meal plan since I'm vegan, but I've eliminated french fries and sweets and increased the protein intake as much as possible. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had the results I'm looking to accomplish. I know people who have started the program but quit halfway through it.

Thread Information