Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feminism

Registered User x.Xmiss_SmogX.x's Avatar

Feminism

Just want to know your view on the subject :)

linsee
    What do you mean by view?

I consider myself a feminist. I'm very vocal when it comes to a lot of issues, I like to take action and be heard. I've done a lot of different networking and been a part of a lot of different causes.

I'm a feminist and (anatomically) a male.
    I am heavily involved with Bluestockings Books in NYC which is a feminist/radical book store.
    I am in staunch opposition to the gender binary system and the current hetero-normative society that exists throughout the world today.
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

Quote Originally Posted by linsee View Post
    What do you mean by view?

I consider myself a feminist. I'm very vocal when it comes to a lot of issues, I like to take action and be heard. I've done a lot of different networking and been a part of a lot of different causes.
    I also consider myself a feminist, I find it difficult to get good conversations about issues and activity within my group of friends. Its seems alot of peoples opinions seem to be there is no place for feminist thought or theory and action in theis day and age. I just wanted to know what peoples views were here and maybe generate some interesting conversations :)

Being an artist i have studies and enjoy alot of the feminist works, especially from the late 70's and 80's and seeing how far the subject has come within the art world.

what sort of causes have you been involved in :)

Quote Originally Posted by xGriffox View Post
    I'm a feminist and (anatomically) a male.
    I am heavily involved with Bluestockings Books in NYC which is a feminist/radical book store.
    I am in staunch opposition to the gender binary system and the current hetero-normative society that exists throughout the world today.

that sounds pretty interesting, is there an online store or just the actual shop in NY :)

just an actual shop. it's on Allen Street right below Houston if you are ever in the city.
    http://bluestockings.com/
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

linsee
    Quote Originally Posted by x.Xmiss_SmogX.x View Post
    I also consider myself a feminist, I find it difficult to get good conversations about issues and activity within my group of friends. Its seems alot of peoples opinions seem to be there is no place for feminist thought or theory and action in theis day and age. I just wanted to know what peoples views were here and maybe generate some interesting conversations :)

Being an artist i have studies and enjoy alot of the feminist works, especially from the late 70's and 80's and seeing how far the subject has come within the art world.

what sort of causes have you been involved in :)
    I've done a lot of different equal rights rallies with different groups, done a lot of networking via the computer. I also was very vocal when I was younger in the local scene when it came to how women were/are treated at shows. It frustrates me when I see blatently unfair practices taking place, and I've never had a problem questioning them.

Most recently some conversation at work turned kind of ugly when a few men voiced their opinion about how I had no place being in management because I was a woman. Needless to say I knocked them on their asses with some things I had to say back to them.

Yeah, i have no problem with the questioning its the responses that get to me, well lack of responses. It seems no one even cares about feminist issues, that its something that was in the past and is no place for it anymore when there blatantly is.

Im glad to hear you put them on there asses, in my last job i was talking about some issues with my work mates and the only thing i got was 'so...your a lebian then' and stupid remarks about whether i shave my legs or not. Its rediculous it really is. I can just imagine how annoyed you must have been by comments about how being a woman you shouldnt be in a manager position.

I'm strongly shocked when a person around me states a chauvinist comment,
    that however doesnt make me a feminist... i guess i'm no real feminist in the way of pursuing equal payments for the same job and such.
    I think a person on it self should be judged, and not a whole gender.
    Stop at nothing,
    Live your dreams.

Just want to know your view on the subject :)
    I belieive in equality for men and women, but I do not support most radical feminist movements.
    Later Days

I think a lot of feminism today is distorted from the original goal and ideal. Equality between all people should be the goal and mindset of every human being, but unfortunately it has turn the tables on male supremacists to female supremacist, in the media for example the image of masculinity has been paralleled to idiocy, brutish savagery and primitive nature. This is an unfair and irrational, just as the image of femininity of being weak and submissive is unfair and irrational.

The idea that women should be in the home and kitchen is insanely wrong, just as the idea that a house wife is a waste of a woman is wrong. If that is the woman's choice, then how is it wrong? Isn't the point in freedom choice? Why is it that the idea of a house husband is thought of as progressive and modern yet a house wife is backwards?

As far as sexual repression goes, I think a man sleeping around is just as wrong as woman doing it. In the bedroom (or wherever else it may accrue) any sexual act between consenting adults is up to them. There is I have noticed a prevailing thought ( in neo-feminism) that oral sex, e.g. blow jobs, are sexual repression. How? Is a man reciprocating the act being suppressed? Or what about between to men? Are they repressing each other?

The female suppression in religion is abominable, in Islam especially. it is my strong belief that peace and freedom in the middle east lies in the revolution of the women of the middle east.

May have rambled incoherently a bit... if so sorry about that :p

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sociocidal View Post
    As far as sexual repression goes, I think a man sleeping around is just as wrong as woman doing it.
    How exactly is it wrong?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sociocidal View Post
    May have rambled incoherently a bit... if so sorry about that :p
    no way i thoughly enjoyed reading your points, i find them valid and i agree on the most part of what your saying.

I personally do not like extreme, overpowering feminism. Sometimes i read 'man hater' things people have written and it strikes me that this has gone from bad to worse. I see no difference between supressing women for being women to hating men...just cause there men. Its all about equality to me. I read one thing about the city of Manchester, that the name should be changed to 'peoplechester' I laughed at how ridiculous it was >_< I feel the same about the Oral sex issue, there is nothing in my opinion thats repressive about it.

I also think that it isnt fair that a man who sleeps around is a 'studd' and a woman who does it is a 'whore'. I personally dont agree with sleeping around, but if someone wants to do it then who cares, its up to them isnt it.

no way i thoughly enjoyed reading your points, i find them valid and i agree on the most part of what your saying.

I personally do not like extreme, overpowering feminism. Sometimes i read 'man hater' things people have written and it strikes me that this has gone from bad to worse. I see no difference between supressing women for being women to hating men...just cause there men. Its all about equality to me. I read one thing about the city of Manchester, that the name should be changed to 'peoplechester' I laughed at how ridiculous it was >_< I feel the same about the Oral sex issue, there is nothing in my opinion thats repressive about it.

I also think that it isnt fair that a man who sleeps around is a 'studd' and a woman who does it is a 'whore'. I personally dont agree with sleeping around, but if someone wants to do it then who cares, its up to them isnt it.
    Sing it sister!

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex View Post
    How exactly is it wrong?
    Its for a start irresponsible, the risk of STD's even using protection is incredibly high with multiple partners. Secondly, it shows complete disrespect of both your self and your partner. It is however as x.Xmiss_SmogX.x said up to them. My statement of thinking it wrong is as I said, I think its wrong, just as i think drugs and alcohol are pointless. Someone else wants to do it its up to them.
    However, when sleeping around is concerned there isn't just one person involved. If the actions of one hurt someone else without the hurt being the will of the receiving party, then surely the action is wrong? Everyone has the right to self expression and freedom of choice (so far as the insanely strict laws in place will allow, see part 5 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act, Britain) but when this comes in direct conflict and violation of another persons happiness and well being then surely its morally wrong?

Thread Information