Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Caffeine and meat, where do you stand?

this is a great link, thanks for posting it.

Yeah. I thought it could bring some kind of perspective to some people in here. 😊

.....to those who don't see caffeine as a drug.

I don't consume caffeine in the form of coffee, sodas, energy drinks, and even cosmetic products. However, where do you stand on eating chocolate? I mean, it naturally has caffeine in it (although in very small portions as far as I know). I'm just curious on that one.
    I eat meat because when i gave it up I got really sick, and it seemed counter-productive to health related morals. That's just my belief I suppose.

I used to not eat chocolate when I first became edge because of the caffeine, but I now consider this extreme. Everyone needs to define their own morals and lifestyle guidelines.

Regarding the meat:

I first have a disclaimer: I am vegan. I have been vegan for nearly 15 years.

Next, I have a question: What do you mean by "really sick"? I hear this a lot when people explain to me (without my prompting mind
    you) why they're not veg*n. What do you exactly mean by this statement? Did you feel light-headed, were you vomiting, and/or were you lacking energy?

My take: I think anyone who is looking to completely change his/her diet should see a DIETITIAN first - not a family doctor who only needed to take 9 credits of diet/nutrition while in medical school, but an honest to goodness DIETITIAN or NUTRITIONIST. The body is a miraculous machine that knows when something has changed and needs to learn how to handle such a drastic adjustment. There might be a period of discomfort - especially if a person doesn't know if they're allergic or will have trouble digesting new foods, such as an abundance of soy or nut products. For example, my husband was doing well on his vegetarian diet until we got married and I introduced tofu into his meal rotation. He was vomiting and getting migraines. Unfortunately, after taking him to my nutritionist we found out that he cannot digest tofu. Other soy-based products didn't seem to bother him; just tofu. Live and learn.

Another non-veggie related example is when I quit soda. I was drinking six Dr Pepper sodas a day before I became edge. When I decided to quit the stuff, I shook violently, had severe migraines, and was nauseous for days. Instead of saying, "Oh, this new diet of no-soda is making me sick; I should start drinking caffeine again" I knew my body was adjusting and would need time to come to terms with my lifestyle.
    Last edited by CarlaRant; 10-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elixabeth96 View Post
    I don't consume caffeine in the form of coffee, sodas, energy drinks, and even cosmetic products. However, where do you stand on eating chocolate? I mean, it naturally has caffeine in it (although in very small portions as far as I know). I'm just curious on that one.
    I eat meat because when i gave it up I got really sick, and it seemed counter-productive to health related morals. That's just my belief I suppose.
    I don't drink anything with caffeine added and will only drink decaffeinated coffee and tea. I will eat chocolate but consider it the same as i do decaf coffee and tea, a small amount that occurs naturally and not enough to effect me as a stimulant.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    I used to not eat chocolate when I first became edge because of the caffeine, but I now consider this extreme. Everyone needs to define their own morals and lifestyle guidelines.

Regarding the meat:

I first have a disclaimer: I am vegan. I have been vegan for nearly 15 years.

Next, I have a question: What do you mean by "really sick"? I hear this a lot when people explain to me (without my prompting mind
    you) why they're not veg*n. What do you exactly mean by this statement? Did you feel light-headed, were you vomiting, and/or were you lacking energy?

My take: I think anyone who is looking to completely change his/her diet should see a DIETITIAN first - not a family doctor who only needed to take 9 credits of diet/nutrition while in medical school, but an honest to goodness DIETITIAN or NUTRITIONIST. The body is a miraculous machine that knows when something has changed and needs to learn how to handle such a drastic adjustment. There might be a period of discomfort - especially if a person doesn't know if they're allergic or will have trouble digesting new foods, such as an abundance of soy or nut products. For example, my husband was doing well on his vegetarian diet until we got married and I introduced tofu into his meal rotation. He was vomiting and getting migraines. Unfortunately, after taking him to my nutritionist we found out that he cannot digest tofu. Other soy-based products didn't seem to bother him; just tofu. Live and learn.

Another non-veggie related example is when I quit soda. I was drinking six Dr Pepper sodas a day before I became edge. When I decided to quit the stuff, I shook violently, had severe migraines, and was nauseous for days. Instead of saying, "Oh, this new diet of no-soda is making me sick; I should start drinking caffeine again" I knew my body was adjusting and would need time to come to terms with my lifestyle.
    caffeine free dr pepper is good times.

Yeah I had an ex-boyfriend who introduced that to me. It's nice at times, but I can easily overdo it on that stuff too. ;) Moderation is not part of my repertoire.

With caffeine I knew it was an addiction problem as apposed to a health problem. The migraines sucked, I'll admit. With meat, I would vomit, my hair was falling out, and although i couldn't sleep I couldn't manage to get up and do anything. I just felt overall horrible. I think I might attempt it a couple of years (I'd appreciate no hate for this, but I'm not even 18 yet) when choosing what I eat is actually my choice and not based on whatever is available (which isn't a lot).
    I mean, I tried drinking protein shakes but it didn't help. Restricting my diet is also difficult because I'm a picky eater. It's not that I'm not willing to try things, but more along the lines of a lot of things make me sick. Maybe I need to get used to it, and I'll keep that in mind. However, I never really understood what was unhealthy about meat. I'd be willing to hear about it though, if anyone has an input on that.

Whoa! That's rough stuff there! Yes, I would definitely say you'll need to get more information when you're able to make your food choices at home. I know what you mean - if I hadn't worked at a health food store when I was 16, I wouldn't have been able to supplement my diet. My parents still insist on eating white bread and canned veggies; which is not the most nutrient dense foods as you probably know.

Um, I think this conversation needs to move to the Veggie/Vegan forum if we're going to get into the details of meat consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaRant View Post
    Whoa! That's rough stuff there! Yes, I would definitely say you'll need to get more information when you're able to make your food choices at home. I know what you mean - if I hadn't worked at a health food store when I was 16, I wouldn't have been able to supplement my diet. My parents still insist on eating white bread and canned veggies; which is not the most nutrient dense foods as you probably know.

Um, I think this conversation needs to move to the Veggie/Vegan forum if we're going to get into the details of meat consumption.
    Surely the vegan section is exactly the place not to be discussing the consumption of meat?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

:p

the negative side effects of meat consumptions

Thread Information