Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caffeine and meat, where do you stand?

Caffeine and meat, where do you stand?

Iv been Straight Edge for years, but i have still to fully decide if Caffeine and meat should be removed from a diet if you are straight edge. Considering that compared to alcohol and other major drugs caffeine is nothing as far as its effects on the body go, and meat is a natural sorce of protien and iron for our speices, though obvious moral implications apply. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sociocidal View Post
    Iv been Straight Edge for years, but i have still to fully decide if Caffeine and meat should be removed from a diet if you are straight edge. Considering that compared to alcohol and other major drugs caffeine is nothing as far as its effects on the body go, and meat is a natural sorce of protien and iron for our speices, though obvious moral implications apply. Opinions?

Straightedge avoids recreational drug usage...caffeine is a drug, meat is not.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

meat's content in terms of growth hormones and other harmful substances is up for debate, and one of the reasons i abstain from consuming it, but that has nothing to do with being straight edge, just has to do with my own set of beliefs.
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

Quote Originally Posted by xGriffox View Post
    meat's content in terms of growth hormones and other harmful substances is up for debate, and one of the reasons i abstain from consuming it, but that has nothing to do with being straight edge, just has to do with my own set of beliefs.

surely saying it has nothing to do with straightedge means it really isn't up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    surely saying it has nothing to do with straightedge means it really isn't up for debate.
    maybe i just used poor wording, i was saying how healthy meat is was up for debate, not whether it was straight edge or not.
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

I don't do either, but meat is not a drug. My hippycore tendencies have led me to be xveganx :D
    Last edited by CarlaRant; 02-24-2009 at 09:38 PM.

maybe i just used poor wording, i was saying how healthy meat is was up for debate, not whether it was straight edge or not.
    Ok, poorly worded and not relevant to what was asked, but since its debatable...how healthy is meat?

Caffeine doesn't affect my mind, so I don't really mind if I drink something with caffeine in it.

I refuse to eat meat. I don't need it, so it's wrong to have an animal die so I can eat something.

Quote Originally Posted by XAdrenalineX View Post
    Caffeine doesn't affect my mind, so I don't really mind if I drink something with caffeine in it.

I refuse to eat meat. I don't need it, so it's wrong to have an animal die so I can eat something.
    You don't need caffeine either! And it does effect you even if you think it doesn't or are only concerned about effecting the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Ok, poorly worded and not relevant to what was asked, but since its debatable...how healthy is meat?
    it all depends on how much and of what quality of meat you eat. Certain cultures (like many pre-colonial native americans) were almost entirely veg(eteri)an while others ate some meat interspersed into a diet heavy in grains, fruits, and plants. These people (and for this particular example, the Aztecs) had a life expectancy twice as long as the Spanish Conquistadors (whose diet was heavily reliant on meat and animal products) who eventually exploited and killed them all. This was all even before the implementation of growth hormones and the innumerable diseases that result from the factory farm systems that are prevalent today.

you can eat meat (in moderation) and be healthy, you can also be vegan and be healthy. When it comes down to it the cruelty involved, not the issue of health, is what really pushes me over the edge and makes me completely abstain from the consumption of meat and animal products altogether rather than consuming them in moderation.

it all depends on how much and of what quality of meat you eat. Certain cultures (like many pre-colonial native americans) were almost entirely veg(eteri)an while others ate some meat interspersed into a diet heavy in grains, fruits, and plants. These people (and for this particular example, the Aztecs) had a life expectancy twice as long as the Spanish Conquistadors (whose diet was heavily reliant on meat and animal products) who eventually exploited and killed them all. This was all even before the implementation of growth hormones and the innumerable diseases that result from the factory farm systems that are prevalent today.

you can eat meat (in moderation) and be healthy, you can also be vegan and be healthy. When it comes down to it the cruelty involved, not the issue of health, is what really pushes me over the edge and makes me completely abstain from the consumption of meat and animal products altogether rather than consuming them in moderation.
    Doesn't sound like its all that debatable really. I mean you have illustrated that poor quality meat isn't as good for you but that transcends to all food it is plainly obvious really. You also mention that eating meat in moderation (a better term would be "as part of a balanced diet") is ok and can be healthy. Which of course is the same for other foods and all diets should be well balanced if it is based on meat or not.

In fact the only debatable point i noted was the innumerable diseases linked to factory farming but that just goes back to quality of food surely? And there is more and more action by supermarkets here to provide better farmed better quality meat at affordable prices. The farming issues alone certainly don't give cause to abstain from meat but rather find better farmed meat. Its at this point you have to then move onto issues of cruelty which is of course a different debate.

I love cheese burgers but I don't consume them with caffienated beverages.
    G.R.O.S.S.

linsee
    I like meat and Diet Pepsi is my BFF.

Nervous Breakdown xSouthernEdgex's Avatar
    I'm sorry if this upsets the vegans but I doubt I could live without meat.(Not like I'm addicted but because its delicious) it might be terrible I know but isn't it natural? Plants are living. Should we feel bad for destroying plants? If pain is an issue then if we kill an animal painlessly is it not the same as killing a plant(assuming plants are being "killed" as such and feel no pain).

I'm not trying to assault vegans or vegetarians. I support you and your choices. I'm just trying to pull out some more oppinions.
    I've accepted noones oppinions will change on this thread so I'm just bringing up situations to view other oppinions NOT to try and prove anyone else wrong.
    Love for the Southeast NORTH CAROLINA HARDCORE

Quote Originally Posted by xSouthernEdgex View Post
    I'm sorry if this upsets the vegans but I doubt I could live without meat.(Not like I'm addicted but because its delicious) it might be terrible I know but isn't it natural? Plants are living. Should we feel bad for destroying plants? If pain is an issue then if we kill an animal painlessly is it not the same as killing a plant(assuming plants are being "killed" as such and feel no pain).

I'm not trying to assault vegans or vegetarians. I support you and your choices. I'm just trying to pull out some more oppinions.
    I've accepted noones oppinions will change on this thread so I'm just bringing up situations to view other oppinions NOT to try and prove anyone else wrong.
    For some reason, this reminded me of PETV (People for the Ethical Treatment of Vegetables), they make an argument that vegetables feel pain. Pretty funny.

But anyways... I don't eat meat or their products because I feel I don't have the right. We share this little planet and (in a perfect world) we should all be able to live in peace without eating each-other. (Especially these days with SO many other options)
    I haven't been vegan too long, but it was one of the easiest choices I've made. Which is saying a lot coming from someone who's diet consisted almost solely of meat and animal products. I thought I couldn't do it because I hate vegetables. But it turns out I don't have to eat them.

As for caffeine, my goal for the year is to stop consuming it. I mean, it doesn't cause that big of a negative effect, but I know it can't be good when I go without it and I have withdrawals.

Thread Information