Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a few things

Just a few things

I've been checking this site for a couple of weeks now, but I've only just registerd..

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs.

I wouldn't call myself straight edge, but I always try and think about what would happen if I was involved in a confrontation, if I was drunk or high, I'd be at a huge disadvantage because I wouldn't be able to try and sort it out and if I had to fight for a long period of time, smoking would make me out of breath really quickly..

How do you guys stay motivated to not break edge? I usually remind myself of the good-to-bad ratio of smoking or if it's drinking, the fact that I'd rather be in control of my body. Even with this, sometimes I find myself tempted, how do you guys do it?

There were a couple of other things, but I've forgotten them :/

I don't know if this helps, but I haven't break the edge mostly because I'm so damn stubborn. It's just because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by swallow View Post
    I don't know if this helps, but I haven't break the edge mostly because I'm so damn stubborn. It's just because of that.
    ninjas dont need alcohol(and drugs and cigarettes etc)! especially high heeled ones!

Yeah, I know what you mean, I was vegetarian for about 3 years just because it had been so long that I felt obligated to keep it up, I'm glad I did keep it up because still I'm vegetarian but I have reasons.

I think the no drinking, drugs, smoking thing, for me is just because I put it in the confrontation situtation, it all comes down to me wanting to be in control in a situation like that..

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I've been checking this site for a couple of weeks now, but I've only just registerd..

I wouldn't call myself straight edge, but I always try and think about what would happen if I was involved in a confrontation, if I was drunk or high, I'd be at a huge disadvantage because I wouldn't be able to try and sort it out and if I had to fight for a long period of time, smoking would make me out of breath really quickly..

How do you guys stay motivated to not break edge? I usually remind myself of the good-to-bad ratio of smoking or if it's drinking, the fact that I'd rather be in control of my body. Even with this, sometimes I find myself tempted, how do you guys do it?

I don't like smoking, drinking or taking drugs so it doesn't take much to motivate me not to do them. Its similar to the motivation that keeps me from putting my face in horse manure, its simply not something i desire.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by Segadoway View Post
    ninjas dont need alcohol(and drugs and cigarettes etc)! especially high heeled ones!
    Good one, now I have two reasons to be edge, great! Thanks dude!

linsee
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    I don't like smoking, drinking or taking drugs so it doesn't take much to motivate me not to do them. Its similar to the motivation that keeps me from putting my face in horse manure, its simply not something i desire.
    Same here. It's easy too stay away from drinking, smoking and drugs because I have no desire to do any of them.

Good one, now I have two reasons to be edge, great! Thanks dude!
    its what i do....

It's easy to stay away from something you don't want to do. In the beginning for me I had a hard time breaking certain habits, but once I had I never had to think about it again.

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar

See, there's a HUGE difference in WHAT outcome you choose to focus on. If you focus mainly on imagining what would be if you had to deal with certain situations when you're drunk or high you make you brain work on that. It'll put you into real life situations when you will have to deal with this scenario. This might sound a little incredible to say the least but it's a well known fact, actually. You'd be better off focusing on the positive outcome such as enjoying your life where there's no place for drugs, alcohol and tobacco - a drug free life.

Imagine your life where rule number one is "Drugs is something stupid and wrong". Screw what others think. It's your life and your rules. That will help you deal with pressure from the outside world.

I personally follow this idea and use it on a daily basis. I not only imagine my drug free life but I also make it happen and genuinely enjoy living it.

For the record, I enjoy smoking tobacco. I used to smoke and I liked it. I decided no more, though.

I brush off the temptation which surely assaults me sometimes by imagining the life I want to live, then TAKE ACTION. Since I focus not on a struggle but an outcome of it - drug free life - I jump right to the pest part of this fantasy and live it through each day of my life.

Hope that helps somehow.

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex View Post
    See, there's a HUGE difference in WHAT outcome you choose to focus on. If you focus mainly on imagining what would be if you had to deal with certain situations when you're drunk or high you make you brain work on that. It'll put you into real life situations when you will have to deal with this scenario. This might sound a little incredible to say the least but it's a well known fact, actually. You'd be better off focusing on the positive outcome such as enjoying your life where there's no place for drugs, alcohol and tobacco - a drug free life.

Imagine your life where rule number one is "Drugs is something stupid and wrong". Screw what others think. It's your life and your rules. That will help you deal with pressure from the outside world.

I personally follow this idea and use it on a daily basis. I not only imagine my drug free life but I also make it happen and genuinely enjoy living it.

For the record, I enjoy smoking tobacco. I used to smoke and I liked it. I decided no more, though.

I brush off the temptation which surely assaults me sometimes by imagining the life I want to live, then TAKE ACTION. Since I focus not on a struggle but an outcome of it - drug free life - I jump right to the pest part of this fantasy and live it through each day of my life.

Hope that helps somehow.
    it's funny reading all this from you.

it's something you get used to. When i became sxe, i had the urge to drink for a few weeks, mostly because i was hanging around my friends who drank. Then i thought about why i wanted to become sxe, and my way of thinking lead me to this decision.
    Even though I felt like a beer would feel good, i didn't drink, because i knew it would fuck me up, and when i got home and opened the fridge, i naturally picked the fruit juice, instead of my dad's beer.

It's just a matter of time really. It'll be the way you live, and temptation will become slighter and slighter of a thought.

When I was younger and curious about drugs, I was very systematic in trying out everything. I suppose I've always been like that. My cousin and I (13 at the time) lined up shot glasses of every different type of liquor we could find-vodka, tequila, rum, beer, wine, champagne, and a variety of Puckers-with shots of water in between. Then we just went down the line taking a shot of each, waiting for the burning to stop, then a shot of water before going to the next set of alcohol. I hated all of it.

That was also the summer we tried pot and cigarettes. Again, I hated it. Later, I started seeing how drugs were affecting my friends and relatives, thus deciding to go edge. I suppose that if I had liked any form of alcohol, tobacco, or marijuana, I would have decided to still be edge, which is what I do every day. My husband, on the other hand, likes beer and other liquors and decided to start drinking again at the age of 24. For him, it was a decision to not deny himself anymore something he actuals likes and doesn't have a problem with even though he had committed to it for quite a while. That brings me to my other point, I think it's silly to stick with something just out of obligation, particularly if your beliefs have changed.

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtD View Post
    it's funny reading all this from you.
    ahem.. elaborate, please.

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex View Post
    ahem.. elaborate, please.
    weren't you the guy who got drunk in order to not losing your girlfriend?

Thread Information