Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gothic Straight Edge

xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    Oh and for the record how many times does this have to be said. AFI isn't a sXe band!
    Last edited by stepinsideissue; 12-18-2007 at 03:07 PM.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

Quote Originally Posted by stepinsideissue
    Gee thats a totally new concept on me. I'm glad you pointed that out to me. Because I only listen to old school sounding hardcore.

And as Rodrigo pointed out that goth or metal bands were mentioned not generic metalcore or anything else for that matter. I hate that term. Metalcore. If straight edge was brought out and is in the hardcore music scene how can a metal band call themselves sxe with out the hardcore part without it's influence.

We may have had this conversation before and maybe it keeps getting brought back up because people don't seem to get the point!!!!! Say all the members of the band the Cure were all straight edge and the played the same music they play now. They are in no way shape or form a straight edge band because they are not a hardcore band. That would be like calling hardcore bands that aren't straight edge straight edge bands just because a few members are. Thats like calling Fall out boy sXe cuase one member is.
    i realize your reasoning with the whole non-hardcore equals non-straight edge. I am not arguing that the cure would be straight edge if all their members were drug free. What i am saying is that bands who may be influenced by metal and hardcore and play a hybrid of the two genres can still be considered a hardcore band and therefore can be straight edge.

for the record, i recently joined a straight edge vegan doom/sludge metal band so i could care less about these stupid politics. we are all straight edge and vegan, whether or not the genre of music we choose to play has its history in the movement really isn't much of a concern to us, afterall, people can still be straight edge while they aren't at hardcore shows, right?
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

Quote Originally Posted by xGriffox
    i realize your reasoning with the whole non-hardcore equals non-straight edge. I am not arguing that the cure would be straight edge if all their members were drug free. What i am saying is that bands who may be influenced by metal and hardcore and play a hybrid of the two genres can still be considered a hardcore band and therefore can be straight edge.

for the record, i recently joined a straight edge vegan doom/sludge metal band so i could care less about these stupid politics. we are all straight edge and vegan, whether or not the genre of music we choose to play has its history in the movement really isn't much of a concern to us, afterall, people can still be straight edge while they aren't at hardcore shows, right?

See that there inlies the problem you don't care about the history of the movement. Metal is metal. Hardcore is hardcore. There is no meshing and there is no history of metal or metal core in hardcore or the straight edge movement there fore i fail to see how they can call themselves and edge band when they fail to realize the full history like you and your band do. It has nothing to do with website politics it has to do with peoples life and a history behind it.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

See that there inlies the problem you don't care about the history of the movement. Metal is metal. Hardcore is hardcore. There is no meshing and there is no history of metal or metal core in hardcore or the straight edge movement there fore i fail to see how they can call themselves and edge band when they fail to realize the full history like you and your band do. It has nothing to do with website politics it has to do with peoples life and a history behind it.
    You fail to see the progression of a genre of music in different places? People who play in hardcore bands are entitled to like other genres of music and are free to go on to incorporate them into their own music. Many well known bands did so with hardcore and metal. The best known example would probably be Earth Crisis. They were obviously a hardcore band, however they also incorporated elements of metal into their music and them being a straight-edge band was not disputed.

I realize that the genre of sludge/doom metal has no history in straight edge, regardless the band i have joined is consistently put on bills as "xvx sludge" or something to that effect. We are all straight edge and involved in the hardcore scene, we play shows with hardcore bands and are very much a part of the hardcore scene even as a metal band, so do tell, are we simply to be written off as merely drug free because we choose to play a different style of music? or should we rather be considered "those straight edge vegan dudes who play sludge"?
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

I SAY We drop the subject. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    Why are hemroids called hemroids? You figure they'd be called asteroids. Then, proctologists would be called astronauts.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by xGriffox
    You fail to see the progression of a genre of music in different places? People who play in hardcore bands are entitled to like other genres of music and are free to go on to incorporate them into their own music. Many well known bands did so with hardcore and metal. The best known example would probably be Earth Crisis. They were obviously a hardcore band, however they also incorporated elements of metal into their music and them being a straight-edge band was not disputed.

I realize that the genre of sludge/doom metal has no history in straight edge, regardless the band i have joined is consistently put on bills as "xvx sludge" or something to that effect. We are all straight edge and involved in the hardcore scene, we play shows with hardcore bands and are very much a part of the hardcore scene even as a metal band, so do tell, are we simply to be written off as merely drug free because we choose to play a different style of music? or should we rather be considered "those straight edge vegan dudes who play sludge"?

Yeah but eXc had at one point elements of hardcore music. The band you joined reguardless of what the members are has no elements of hardcore except the members are straight edge so I fail to see how you could call yourselevs a straight edge band. You the members may be hardcore and you maybe sXe. I'm not saying you're not at all and I don't think I ever implied that either. I just don't see what makes the band a straight edge band.

You fail to see MY point in saying that how can a goth band be considered straight edge when no elements of hardcore are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Post It
    I SAY We drop the subject. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Why drop the subject? Isn't this the whole point of having these forums? To sit and discuss issues and our opinions with others? We are having a civil conversation and expressing our own opinions like you just have.

my opinion if your straight edge follow the hardcore scene but wanna make a diff type of music dnt advertise your edge in it because it ruins the meanin of edge

I would just like to point something out. On the one hand, many subcultures have been killed by elitism, but on the other hand, many others were killed by being too open and were co-opted into the mainstream. This argument exemplifies this balance, so think carefully, when taking a stance that pulls it to either side, whether being right is truly worth it.
    That being said, I would just point out that the metal-hardcore interaction has been happening since even before the beginning, when Bad Brains were influenced by metal bands. Since then there's been enough blurring of the lines that most metal has at least a little bit of hardcore somewhere in it, and vice versa. I'm not saying we should necessarily be encouraging it, but it should at least be acknowledged if you're going to talk about history.
    Love of this country is based on nothing but the fear of living somewhere worse/And gratitude shouldn't be the reaction to someone else being slaughtered first!-
    Aus-Rotten- The Dying and The Dead

Quote Originally Posted by hxcsxe
    my opinion if your straight edge follow the hardcore scene but wanna make a diff type of music dnt advertise your edge in it because it ruins the meanin of edge
    yeah, i like also rock 'n stuff, but i don't connect that to edge, or how do i say it..
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

visit http://www.z-spot.be/
    Z-spot Gaming community
    No Ego's, no "pwnage", just gaming

Quote Originally Posted by sxeforlife555
    I actually know tons of straight edge metal bands. Bleeding Through, First Blood, Himsa, Freya, Blood has been shed, Maroon, etc. etc.
    Other people might differ from my opinion here. But to me, first blood is not a metal band at all. Bleeding Through,......sucks. Himsa,......sucks balls. and the other bands I don't like.

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    First Blood is in the row with Bleeding Through and the rest. Point is that they sound nothing like hardcore punk (punk being the key word).

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex
    First Blood is in the row with Bleeding Through and the rest. Point is that they sound nothing like hardcore punk (punk being the key word).
    I disagree with the part of you saying they are "in the row with Bleeding Through". In no way possible is First Blood is anything like Bleeding Through. I'm not saying they are hardcore punk, but I still think they are a lot closer to being a hardcore band than Bleeding Through and stupid shit like that. First Blood is a band with members of Alcatraz, Terror, Fight Everyone, and other bands. If not all the members, some of the members are vegan straight edge. I don't know what you think, but I think this band is waay closer to being a hardcore band than Bleeding Through.

Just to let people know, I'm not one who digs "older" or "oldschool" hardcore as much. I like some of it, I like bands like Misfits, Cro-Mags, Suicidal Tendancies, and shit like that. But I'm into whats around today, now don't get me wrong, most shit out there today is horrible, but if you pick your way around and shit, you'll find some awesome new bands out there. Bands like Kingdom, Barricade, Wisdom In Chains, and shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyX
    I disagree with the part of you saying they are "in the row with Bleeding Through". In no way possible is First Blood is anything like Bleeding Through. I'm not saying they are hardcore punk, but I still think they are a lot closer to being a hardcore band than Bleeding Through and stupid shit like that. First Blood is a band with members of Alcatraz, Terror, Fight Everyone, and other bands. If not all the members, some of the members are vegan straight edge. I don't know what you think, but I think this band is waay closer to being a hardcore band than Bleeding Through.

Just to let people know, I'm not one who digs "older" or "oldschool" hardcore as much. I like some of it, I like bands like Misfits, Cro-Mags, Suicidal Tendancies, and shit like that. But I'm into whats around today, now don't get me wrong, most shit out there today is horrible, but if you pick your way around and shit, you'll find some awesome new bands out there. Bands like Kingdom, Barricade, Wisdom In Chains, and shit like that.

The misfits were't a hardcore band.

The misfits were't a hardcore band.
    yea but I like them, and alot of people put them in that same genre, or around.

Thread Information