Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex
    I will!
    ok

Jeez, can't you just answer directly the question I asked, can you?
    Which question?

Why did you decide that I'm interested now in all these details?
    Its not just about what you want or what you are interested in, its what i wish to put forward also. the name of the martial art is rather unimportant.

All I wanted (and still want to) was the name of the martial arts you practice. No more no less.
    why?

I'm open to new information and that's something you actually give when you go into detailed explanations. That's fine but I just want to know the name of MA you practice.
    You have to remember you have only just become specific in the fact that you only wanted a name of a style.

Are you trying to avoid answering my question directly?
    Again you seem to forget that you have only just asked that and previously you asked questions that needed clarity and questioning due to their dubious angle.

Okay, let me remind you that the English language isn't my first language so chances are that I failed to express my thoughts the right way. I'll repeat it again - I understood that you were into MA and doing a particular one. I was just trying to specify the name of MA you practice.
    Yeah but you know how to ask that as a specific question so using the language card doesn't really stand. And even if it did stand then its not my fault that the responses you got weren't what you were after. I can only go by what you type, i can't assume that you mean something other than what you type just because English isn't your first language. But i can ask for clarification when i am doubtful about the question and if its what you actually meant. Thats what i did.

See above and all of my prior posts trying to reach you with my message "I didn't even try to suggest that you don't do MA".
    I'm unsure why you have used quotations there but your message in prior posts was quite the oppisite of what you put in quotations. especially as later in this post you accept it to need rephrasing and accept it being your fault.

Yes, I could really rephrase it, rethink it or whatever. The next time I'll do before posting.
    It makes sense, you want a specific answer then ask a specific question, not one that suggests i don't do martial arts - especially when thats not what you wanted to say.

There's no such MA, is there? I never heard of it before and moreover it doesn't really sound as the name of MA. I'll try it again - I want to know the name of MA you practice.
    Increasingly i am getting the impression that you didn't read the whole post before responding.

Please, see above.
    So you just wrote to that effect, unfortunately i can't read your mind. Again you concede this later in this post.

I think that a martial artist is someone that practices a particular MA (such as Aikido, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, etc.)
    The answer you were looking for is yes to the question you quoted.

So why would you write a question that suggests i don't do a particular martial art when i say i am a martial artist? Why not write: What martial art do you study?

I figured that you are early on. That's not the point of my question.
    Which is why clarification was asked for because the point of your question was not at all apparent in the questions you asked.

Then you should consider answering the new ones. In fact, if you answer the only one it'll be just great: What's the name of MA that you practice?
    amazingly enough i did consider the new ones and if you took the time to read the post first you would see that.

I can't see the answer to my question (coming before this quoting) in your responds. Do you expect me to guess it myself?
    I don't expect you to guess it yourself but it would be good practice if you actually read the post you were responding to before actually responding. It might save you from talking a load of crap and save everyone else from having to read it. And the point you actually quoted here pertains to the questions you asked previously, they were easily answered by the first post i made in this thread. I can only answer the questions you type not the ones in your head.

I agree that I should've rephrased my question. My fault.
    it was a flawed question, assign fault as you see fit.

I asked it, but I asked it the wrong way. Which is a quite a different story.
    No, you asked something else which had already been answered by information available previously. You asked after i pressed for clarity.

Thank you so much. That's all I wanted to know.
    I still want to know why you wanted to know?

Now if you don't mind my asking, please, tell me what makes you write so many commentaries to posts of others? Honestly, I'm curious about it.
    I write coherent responses to the things they write. People can often not take the time to think about what they are actually saying when typing and when someone else reads it it can just be nonsensical or even offensive. I take the time to respond accurately and articulately as a mark of respect for those i discuss things with and to hopefully encourage others to also write thoughtfully. Its that desire to communicate effectively and surely that makes me write more lengthly responses and use the full potential of the platform available. It is a great platform for weeding out asinine ideas, particularly in debates, as it proves to give an honest reflection of what people have written. Back peddling becomes difficult and you can point to what was and wasn't said, the issue then comes in how people react to having erronous points highlighted. Some just go into denial and refuse to accept that it ever happened and struggle to ignore it by shiffting focus, others accept points raised and learn from them and discussion with people that actually gain from discussion makes them more pleasurable people to discuss things with. Others just type nonsense a lot, that generally doesn't happen here as someone will call people out on it quite early.

I could have responded in a short and unimformative manner to your question but i more lengthly response with more content gives you a better idea of the answer and how it should be taken. This is also why after you became clear on what you wanted to know i answered and included references for you to observe. It took some time to iron out what you were saying but this serves to enable you to communicate more clearly, thats the aim here. I am very happy to discuss martial arts, i have already touched on my thoughts and feelings on martial arts here and would happily do so until everyone was bored silly. I am open to questions but i will question questions if i think they are flawed.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Thanks for explanations. It'll help me to avoid asking wrong questions next time.

Your welcome, if you want toknow more just ask!

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Which question?
    Never mind. It's not valid anymore.

Its not just about what you want or what you are interested in, its what i wish to put forward also. the name of the martial art is rather unimportant.
    I like how you put it. I tell you the same - it's not about what you wish to put forward. It's about me and what I want to know. The name of the martial art IS important to me.

why?
    This is simple. Because I want to know _the name_ of the martial art you practice.

What's the reason for that? Sheer curiosity.

You have to remember you have only just become specific in the fact that you only wanted a name of a style.
    That's correct.

Again you seem to forget that you have only just asked that and previously you asked questions that needed clarity and questioning due to their dubious angle.
    This is correct too.

Yeah but you know how to ask that as a specific question so using the language card doesn't really stand.
    I didn't really get the meaning of this sentence. `To use a card' is an idiom apparently and if I guess its meaning right (which is unlikely to be true... most of the times it's almost impossible for a foreigner to understand an idiom without a special dictionary of idioms. the one I don't have, and answers.com suggests some explanations but none matching your usage) it means that you suggest that I'm sort of making up an excuse in order to kinda shift the blame or smth?

And even if it did stand then its not my fault that the responses you got weren't what you were after.
    Indeed.

I can only go by what you type, i can't assume that you mean something other than what you type just because English isn't your first language.
    You can't or you just don't want to?
    It's hard to believe that you can't even assume what I was trying to say. Especially, given the situation when the question was apparently inappropriate and contradicted the logics and you saw and realized that as well as rodrigo did. Besides that, you display properties of a good thinker in almost all of your posts so your assertion IS surprising to me.

I'm unsure why you have used quotations there but your message in prior posts was quite the oppisite of what you put in quotations.
    I was talking about the "right" questions. Those that were asking "What MA exactly do you do?"

especially as later in this post you accept it to need rephrasing and accept it being your fault.
    Here I referred to the initial question which lead to so much misunderstanding between me and you in this thread and I agreed with you that I should've rephrased it.

It makes sense, you want a specific answer then ask a specific question, not one that suggests i don't do martial arts - especially when thats not what you wanted to say.
    See what happens when you don't master the language perfectly?

(I'm not even sure now if the above line is correct and the message I try to make it deliver will be understood by you and the others the same way as it is understood by me)

Increasingly i am getting the impression that you didn't read the whole post before responding.
    But I did so your impression is wrong.

So you just wrote to that effect, unfortunately i can't read your mind.
    Luckily, you can't.

The answer you were looking for is yes to the question you quoted.

So why would you write a question that suggests i don't do a particular martial art when i say i am a martial artist? Why not write: What martial art do you study?
    This is probably the hardest to explain. I know how to ask the question I should've asked but I didn't ask it. Instead I decided that a tail question would be more appropriate for what I wanted to achieve and that was the crucial mistake (as we can see now). Moreover I did assert that you don't do any particular (meaning specific) martial art on purpose in order to provoke you to disprove it by actually giving the name of the MA you do. That's basically what I expected to achieve by using a tag question in that manner. I can see now that I failed to. Now, I have to figure if it was totally incorrect from the point of view of the grammar and/or stylistics. Can you confirm that?

If you still doubt that I don't speak/write the perfect English we could chat on IRC or whatever chat system you prefer and you will see that I'm telling the truth. In the forums (and non-real time environments alike) I have some (more) time to think before I type. However, I still DO make grammatical, stylistic and other mistakes even after checking what I wrote before posting a message.

Which is why clarification was asked for because the point of your question was not at all apparent in the questions you asked.
    I see.

amazingly enough i did consider the new ones and if you took the time to read the post first you would see that.
    But you didn't give the name of the MA in prior posts but it happened only in previous one.

I don't expect you to guess it yourself but it would be good practice if you actually read the post you were responding to before actually responding.
    Man, read the first page of the thread once again. You don't actually give the name of the MA. You were talking about "enter the dragon" stuff. That was something that made me think that you were talking about a specific MA so I decided to figure what is the MA you are into. As far as I understand the mentioning of the Art of War by Sun Tzu doesn't tell one that you're into Wing Chun, does it?

It might save you from talking a load of crap and save everyone else from having to read it.
    That's right. Now you're talking about yourself too, right?

You are trying to convince me that there was an answer already but where exactly did you say that you do and teach Wing Chun? You mention this only after we started asking questions one another. Before that you were just talking about some of the ideas from Enter the Dragon.

And the point you actually quoted here pertains to the questions you asked previously, they were easily answered by the first post i made in this thread. I can only answer the questions you type not the ones in your head.
    Ok, let us take a closer look at the first post you made in this thread:

I'm a martial artist. Glad you found a school you are happy with.
    There's no mentioning of Wing Chun neither you mention that you practice it nor that you teach it.

it was a flawed question, assign fault as you see fit.
    So, you confirmed it. My lesson is learned.
    Thank you.

No, you asked something else which had already been answered by information available previously. You asked after i pressed for clarity.
    How exactly does mentioning of The Art of War by Sun Tzu tells anyone that you do and teach Wing Chun? O__o

I still want to know why you wanted to know?
    Curiosity. You know some people are curious and want to know a lot of things.

I write coherent responses to the things they write.
    I noticed that.

People can often not take the time to think about what they are actually saying when typing and when someone else reads it it can just be nonsensical or even offensive. I take the time to respond accurately and articulately as a mark of respect for those i discuss things with and to hopefully encourage others to also write thoughtfully. Its that desire to communicate effectively and surely that makes me write more lengthly responses and use the full potential of the platform available. It is a great platform for weeding out asinine ideas, particularly in debates, as it proves to give an honest reflection of what people have written. Back peddling becomes difficult and you can point to what was and wasn't said, the issue then comes in how people react to having erronous points highlighted. Some just go into denial and refuse to accept that it ever happened and struggle to ignore it by shiffting focus, others accept points raised and learn from them and discussion with people that actually gain from discussion makes them more pleasurable people to discuss things with. Others just type nonsense a lot, that generally doesn't happen here as someone will call people out on it quite early.

I could have responded in a short and unimformative manner to your question but i more lengthly response with more content gives you a better idea of the answer and how it should be taken. This is also why after you became clear on what you wanted to know i answered and included references for you to observe. It took some time to iron out what you were saying but this serves to enable you to communicate more clearly, thats the aim here. I am very happy to discuss martial arts, i have already touched on my thoughts and feelings on martial arts here and would happily do so until everyone was bored silly. I am open to questions but i will question questions if i think they are flawed.
    I see. Thanks for one more lengthy post.

I am open to questions too but you must believe that I didn't make it up and I was truly saying that I'd made a mistake due to the fact that I am not a native English speaker. Even though I can read, write and speak English reasonably the truth is that I still do horrible, simple, nasty mistakes. Truth laid bare. So, the next time you see a portion of text in my post that is totally out of whack try to assume that I just failed to express myself the right way.

As for Wing Chun why did you decide to devote yourself to this style? Why not something else? Did you try something else or is it just happened so that you got involved and stuck to it?

I've personally been doing some unarmed self-defense (SAMBO or САМБО in Russian) for approx. three or a little bit more years when I was a kid (~8-11 years), then boxing for a year and then I got back to САМБО (read - sa:mbo) to spend one more year. I guess I was never neither serious enough nor conscious about MA so my achievements were pretty low. Boxing was plain stupid for me. I didn't like it, I didn't understand it. I still don't really get it. I don't like Karate for its angriness (I'm talking about my personal impression of the MA. When I see Karate I see angry fighters fighting to death. Something I don't really like.)

I was always mesmerized by Aikido. Never got a chance to go to dojo but have seen a couple of demos that were awesome. I like its concept of being gentle and not harming your enemy. I had some fights in the streets of my city most of which were not started due to my unwillingness to fight but if I had to fight I was always sort of caring about my enemy. It's not something I was taught. It's something that comes naturally. So, I'm really attracted to Aikido as it pertains to the part of my nature. I really enjoy the concentration of aikidoka, his adjusted movements and interaction with enemy's force. I think the whole concept of using the enemy's force to disable/disarm him is rather philosophical, practical and effective. Well, I can really talk about it a lot since I really like it.

I guess I should've come to dojo and started training instead of thinking and talking in internet forums about it but there's one thing that stops me from doing this. In my city sensei has got only the first dan and I know some aikidoka (my friend) who spoke bad of him. I was actually told that I won't learn anything good in that school. I don't usually trust blindly everything people say but the fact is that I trust that aikidoka guy. He was in Moscow dojo, he was participating in tournaments and such. He's quite experienced and I'm inclined to believe him.

Well, anyhow I didn't have much time for that until now. I'm currently deciding to move to Kiyv (the capital of Ukraine) to work. There's a dojo and another sensei (3d dan), more experienced then the local one. 3d dan is a good start I believe, I'm going to take it seriously and thinking about going to Japan in future to learn from Japanese senseis. As I said I was never serious about MA before which resulted in low achievements, fear of contests and uncompleted education. I feel like I have to finish what I started. Almost 4 years of my life spent and no pleasing achievements. That's just not the right way for me. I was a kid I wasn't really conscious about what I was doing but aspiration to master Aikido still remains despite all the years gone since those times. Actually, SAMBO is Aikido-like and I liked it more then karate or boxing.

So, I guess I'm going to start my training very soon. Not for the purpose of learning how to fight but I feel like that something is missing in my life. Something that I was doing back in days when I was a kid. Something that was fulfilling and made me feel complete, in fact, something I was always wanting to start doing. Perhaps this is just a nostalgia but I guess it's not.

Well, what about you guys? What MA do you practice and why do you choose this or that style?
    Last edited by xCrucialDudex; 07-26-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Never mind. It's not valid anymore.
    ok

I like how you put it. I tell you the same - it's not about what you wish to put forward. It's about me and what I want to know. The name of the martial art IS important to me.
    Yeah but it is about what i want to put forward, as well as what you want to know. What you just said doesn't say that.

This is simple. Because I want to know _the name_ of the martial art you practice.

What's the reason for that? Sheer curiosity.
    Why are you curious about me and what i do?

That's correct.
    I know

This is correct too.
    I know

I didn't really get the meaning of this sentence. `To use a card' is an idiom apparently and if I guess its meaning right (which is unlikely to be true... most of the times it's almost impossible for a foreigner to understand an idiom without a special dictionary of idioms. the one I don't have, and answers.com suggests some explanations but none matching your usage) it means that you suggest that I'm sort of making up an excuse in order to kinda shift the blame or smth?
    Its a typical fall back that often isn't the cause of the problem.

Indeed.
    good, we are clear.

You can't or you just don't want to?
    It's hard to believe that you can't even assume what I was trying to say. Especially, given the situation when the question was apparently inappropriate and contradicted the logics and you saw and realized that as well as rodrigo did. Besides that, you display properties of a good thinker in almost all of your posts so your assertion IS surprising to me.
    Which is why i asked questions for clarity. If i assumed without asking i wouldn't know either way, its wiser to ask a question if you aren't sure. So yeah i could assume and get it wrong or i could ask, i think the smart choice is the latter.

I was talking about the "right" questions. Those that were asking "What MA exactly do you do?"
    but that wasn't in the first instance, which is what we were talking about at this point of the post.

Here I referred to the initial question which lead to so much misunderstanding between me and you in this thread and I agreed with you that I should've rephrased it.
    I know, its just the part in quotations previously was also in response tothis postion of the discussion - you are begining to jump around to better suit.

See what happens when you don't master the language perfectly?
    what do you think?

(I'm not even sure now if the above line is correct and the message I try to make it deliver will be understood by you and the others the same way as it is understood by me)
    Ok

But I did so your impression is wrong.
    Then you are responding as if you haven't been told the answer when you have? Thats stupid.

Luckily, you can't.
    So you'll have to work at communicating with that in mind

This is probably the hardest to explain. I know how to ask the question I should've asked but I didn't ask it. Instead I decided that a tail question would be more appropriate for what I wanted to achieve and that was the crucial mistake (as we can see now). Moreover I did assert that you don't do any particular (meaning specific) martial art on purpose in order to provoke you to disprove it by actually giving the name of the MA you do. That's basically what I expected to achieve by using a tag question in that manner. I can see now that I failed to. Now, I have to figure if it was totally incorrect from the point of view of the grammar and/or stylistics. Can you confirm that?
    Yeah, doesn't work like that.

If you still doubt that I don't speak/write the perfect English we could chat on IRC or whatever chat system you prefer and you will see that I'm telling the truth. In the forums (and non-interactive environments alike) I have some (more) time to think before I type. However, I still DO make grammatical, stylistic and other mistakes even after checking what I wrote before posting a message.
    I never suggested this doubt, i don't see why we would need to chat to prove anything. If you wanted to discuss anything valid then sure, but to prove how well you type something isn't really warrented.

I see.
    good

But you didn't give the name of the MA in prior posts but it happened only in previous one.
    It wasn't asked in previous posts.

Man, read the first page of the thread once again. You don't actually give the name of the MA.
    I never said i did but at that point you weren't specifically asking for a name.

You were talking about "enter the dragon" stuff. That was something that made me think that you were talking about a specific MA so I decided to figure what is the MA you are into. As far as I understand the mentioning of the Art of War by Sun Tzu doesn't tell one that you're into Wing Chun, does it?
    No but me saying i am a martial artist tells you i do a martial art. If you ask which one then you get the answer but you didn't ask that. And when i say read the post i mean the post as in post number 31 as the answer is given which negates all of the references you have made to me not answering in that post. Which is why it was stupid if you say you read all of post 31 and then acted like you didn't have the information.

That's right. Now you're talking about yourself too, right?
    no just you.

You are trying to convince me that there was an answer already but where exactly did you say that you do and teach Wing Chun? You mention this only after we started asking questions one another. Before that you were just talking about some of the ideas from Enter the Dragon.
    No i'm not, where have i tried to convince you of that?

[QUOTE=xCrucialDudex]
    And the point you actually quoted here pertains to the questions you asked previously, they were easily answered by the first post i made in this thread. I can only answer the questions you type not the ones in your head.
    Ok, let us take a closer look at the first post you made in this thread:[QUOTE=xCrucialDudex]

And as this pertains to previous questions you should recall that those questions weren't specific in asking which art i did. I answer what you asked not what you wished you had and later did ask.

There's no mentioning of Wing Chun neither you mention that you practice it nor that you teach it.
    Thats because you didn't ask which specific art i did until later. This isn't brain surgary bub.

So, you confirmed it. My lesson is learned.
    Thank you.
    I hope so

How exactly does mentioning of The Art of War by Sun Tzu tells anyone that you do and teach Wing Chun? O__o
    The same way asking you don't do any particular martial arts do you? translates which art do you study. Its you that didn't ask the question so i can't answer it until you do. Its like my question of why you asked in the first place. I mean you don't tell me why in your first post. Its the twilight zone thing again. What my earlier posts to tell you is that i am a martial artist which makes the question you asked rather silly.

Curiosity. You know some people are curious and want to know a lot of things.
    Why? What else are you curious about? How does the imformation impact you?

I noticed that.
    Perhaps you could try it?

I see. Thanks for one more lengthy post.
    ok

I am open to questions too but you must believe that I didn't make it up and I was truly saying that I'd made a mistake due to the fact that I am not a native English speaker. Even though I can read, write and speak English reasonably the truth is that I still do horrible, simple, nasty mistakes. Truth laid bare. So, the next time you see a portion of text in my post that is totally out of whack try to assume that I just failed to express myself the right way.
    I did assume that, which is why i asked questions before answering.
    Last edited by straightXed; 07-27-2007 at 09:32 AM.

As for Wung Chun why did you decide to devote yourself to this style? Why not something else? Did you try something else or is it just happened so that you got involved and stuck to it?
    Thinking of wing chun as a style is something that is often discussed with a lot of people being clear how it isn't. But as for why i do wing chun, it fits in with my philosophy on defence, attitude, approach, resolve and mindset etc. I mean its not a case of me trying to fit to how wing chun is, i get to make wing chun reflect me. So rather than thinking of wing chun as a set pattern to fit and choose its good to think of oneself and why wing chun ties in with oneself. This way the focus is on the artist and how they work instead of focussing on a disjointed entity. So for me to answer i would need to say why i am the way i am and without going into huge detail lets just say its genetic and environmental.

I've personally been doing some unarmed self-defense (SAMBO or САМБО in Russian) for approx. three or a little bit more years when I was a kid (~8-11 years), then boxing for a year and then I got back to САМБО (read - sa:mbo) to spend one more year. I guess I was never neither serious enough nor conscious about MA so my achievements were pretty low. Boxing was plain stupid for me. I didn't like it, I didn't understand it. I still don't really get it. I don't like Karate for its angriness (I'm talking about my personal impression of the MA. When I see Karate I see angry fighters fighting to death. Something I don't really like.)
    Karate fighters fighting to the death? Historically or now? Its a shame you spent 5 years or so around self defence and sports fighting and feel you have achieved little.

I was always mesmerized by Aikido. Never got a chance to go to dojo but have seen a couple of demos that were awesome. I like its concept of being gentle and not harming your enemy. I had some fights in the streets of my city most of which were not started due to my unwillingness to fight but if I had to fight I was always sort of caring about my enemy. It's not something I was taught. It's something that comes naturally. So, I'm really attracted to Aikido as it pertains to the part of my nature. I really enjoy the concentration of aikidoka, his adjusted movements and interaction with enemy's force. I think the whole concept of using the enemy's force to disable/disarm him is rather philosophical, practical and effective. Well, I can really talk about it a lot since I really like it.
    We have a couple of ex akido black belts in our school and we also interact with our local akido club, doing charity seminars together and the like. If you like aikido read angry white pajamas.

I guess I should've come to dojo and started training instead of thinking and talking in internet forums about it but there's one thing that stops me from doing this. In my city sensei has got only the first dan and I know some aikidoka (my friend) who spoke bad of him. I was actually told that I won't learn anything good in that school. I don't usually trust blindly everything people say but the fact is that I trust that aikidoka guy. He was in Moscow dojo, he was participating in tournaments and such. He's quite experienced and I'm inclined to believe him.
    Well people always like to talk and tell you their opinion especially when it comes to martial arts. I would say at all costs in martial arts, make up your own mind based on your own perception. I plain just don't take anyones word for another martial artists ability, its about your own perception and whats good for you not what is good for everyone else. I would suggest you approach this sensei and see for yourself, if you agree with the things you have heard then fine. But a lot of people just echo things they have heard or just found it wasn't something they lthought was good. And another aikidoka will be more opinionated than a layman and critique based on his personal devepolment of the art so its not completely valid for you to just accept that. Also the sign of a bad teacher is one that will speak ill of other artists and this can often filter into students too. If it were me i would be inclined to check it out before believing him.

Well, anyhow I didn't have much time for that until now. I'm currently deciding to move to Kiyv (the capital of Ukraine) to work. There's a dojo and another sensei (3d dan), more experienced then the local one. 3d dan is a good start I believe, I'm going to take it seriously and thinking about going to Japan in future to learn from Japanese senseis. As I said I was never serious about MA before which resulted in low achievements, fear of contests and uncompleted education. I feel like I have to finish what I started. Almost 4 years of my life spent and no pleasing achievements. That's just not the right way for me. I was a kid I wasn't really conscious about what I was doing but aspiration to master Aikido still remains despite all the years gone since those times. Actually, SAMBO is Aikido-like and I liked it more then karate or boxing.
    3rd dan this, 1st dan that, it really doesn't make any difference, you can have high rankings and be absoloute crap in many respects. Theres more to acheiving martial ability than competitions, in fact they tend to detract from a lot of the more vital qualities, and remember people who complete a martial art are among the very few, focusing on the end only means the journey will take a lot longer to get there.

So, I guess I'm going to start my training very soon. Not for the purpose of learning how to fight but I feel like that something is missing in my life. Something that I was doing back in days when I was a kid. Something that was fulfilling and made me feel complete, in fact, something I was always wanting to start doing. Perhaps this is just a nostalgia but I guess it's not.
    Its an itch, we all have them and we scratch them with things we call hobbies.

sup guys
    im studying pankration atm, better known as MMA
    my philosophy towards martial arts is just learn whatever you can, sticking to one style is fine, but its something i would never do, i think cross training is one of the best concepts, because there are no restrictions as to what you learn, i just train in boxing primarily, some muay thai, bjj for ground work and some judo techniques.
    my instructor is a 3rd dan in Goju kai, and has alot of ring experience in muay thai.
    he's been in the martial arts for along time, so he has strong opinions of what works and what doesnt, i personally didnt train in the martial arts for a life changing philosophical experience. But once again i dont think badly against that type of training, its just not for me.
    my training is around 40% skills, 60% full contact sparring, with 16ounce gloves and shin guards, mouthguard, and headguard.
    conditioning work is done outside, thats just my class im talking about.
    i do bodyweight circuits, pullups, dips, pushups, bodyweight rows, situps, etc etc
    i do some weight training....nowhere near as often as i used to though
    i think although i learn skills by themselves, the way i apply them in reality is during sparring, when i can find what i believe will work.

thanks
    jared

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    sup guys
    im studying pankration atm, better known as MMA
    my philosophy towards martial arts is just learn whatever you can, sticking to one style is fine, but its something i would never do, i think cross training is one of the best concepts, because there are no restrictions as to what you learn, i just train in boxing primarily, some muay thai, bjj for ground work and some judo techniques.
    my instructor is a 3rd dan in Goju kai, and has alot of ring experience in muay thai.
    he's been in the martial arts for along time, so he has strong opinions of what works and what doesnt, i personally didnt train in the martial arts for a life changing philosophical experience. But once again i dont think badly against that type of training, its just not for me.
    my training is around 40% skills, 60% full contact sparring, with 16ounce gloves and shin guards, mouthguard, and headguard.
    conditioning work is done outside, thats just my class im talking about.
    i do bodyweight circuits, pullups, dips, pushups, bodyweight rows, situps, etc etc
    i do some weight training....nowhere near as often as i used to though
    i think although i learn skills by themselves, the way i apply them in reality is during sparring, when i can find what i believe will work.

thanks
    jared

The main problem with cherry picking from any martial art is that you really need a solid foundation to work with. Without a solid foundation in one particular art you can easily leave a lot of holes, this is why most MMA's will have a foundation art that is solid and you are then able to take techniques from other arts and adapt them. If you simply take parts of lots of arts then you don't get a complete picture and can often miss important fundamental aspects. So whilst i champion cross training and believe it to have merits i believe if you aren't solid before you cross train you will leave holes.

wow, you guys are crazy! (j/k)

ed, you sound very educated! i dabbled in a little wing chun when i was stationed in Germany...i liked it, but my job over there didn't allow me the freedoms i needed to keep going to class...overall, i liked it alot! i liked that they taught you if there was any way to get out of a physical confrontation, use that avenue first, and fight only if you have no other choice

i then met a good friend in Okinawa that practiced Judo and was also heavy into BJJ...he later went to school in San Jose, CA to practice Judo...i then joined a gym for Muai Thai and there were also some BJJ trainers there...

i'm very novice in each discipline, and i agree wholly with ed's comment about needing a base discipline for that solid foundation, and branch from there
    Straight Edge means I have no friends...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
    curcial dude ,
    omg I love sambo, but there currently arent any studios near me that teach it.
    there fore im stuck with akido. im not saying that akido isnt a good fighting style i would rather be taught sambo .
    I have 3 years of akido, 1 of akijitsu, and 6 moths of mma classes.

drop the bass, not bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Xedge mofoX View Post
    wow, you guys are crazy! (j/k)

ed, you sound very educated! i dabbled in a little wing chun when i was stationed in Germany...i liked it, but my job over there didn't allow me the freedoms i needed to keep going to class...overall, i liked it alot! i liked that they taught you if there was any way to get out of a physical confrontation, use that avenue first, and fight only if you have no other choice
    Do you by any chance recall the name of the sifu you trained under?

i am currently practicing wing chun ( my dad was taught by lawrence lee) and a streetfighting adaption to it, i have done some kick boxing, muay thai, krav maga and some other stuff too
    ________
    Vaporizer
    Last edited by Segadoway; 01-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Segadoway View Post
    i am currently practicing wing chun ( my dad was taught by lawrence lee) and a streetfighting adaption to it, i have done some kick boxing, muay thai, krav maga and some other stuff too
    Is that the lawrence lee that has a rather mathematical approach to the system?

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Is that the lawrence lee that has a rather mathematical approach to the system?
    i would say he has more of a practical approach to it, he is an amazing martial artist, i have heard thousands of stories from my dad about him, such as to show the benefits of knuckle conditioning he filled a bucket with ball bearings and punched into it up to the elbow.
    ________
    TTR50
    Last edited by Segadoway; 01-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Segadoway View Post
    i would say he has more of a practical approach to it, he is an amazing martial artist, i have heard thousands of stories from my dad about him, such as to show the benefits of knuckle conditioning he filled a bucket with ball bearings and punched into it up to the elbow.
    Well any other approach to wing chun other than a practical one would be nonsense. I was just trying to confirm it is the same Lawrence Lee that is noted for his mathematical approach and scientific breakdown. It does sound like the same guy as you mentioned some iron palm techniques, is it the same guy that has worked with Kostya Tszyu? Or perhaps you recognise the term Tong Kune Do? Are you in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed View Post
    Well any other approach to wing chun other than a practical one would be nonsense. I was just trying to confirm it is the same Lawrence Lee that is noted for his mathematical approach and scientific breakdown. It does sound like the same guy as you mentioned some iron palm techniques, is it the same guy that has worked with Kostya Tszyu? Or perhaps you recognise the term Tong Kune Do? Are you in Australia?
    yeah he is the guy that worked with kostya tzu and yes i am in australia, i suppose it would be a scientific approach i didnt really think of it like that, by practical i meant more applicable to real life situations, other styles of wing chun arent as "practical"
    ________
    TS250
    Last edited by Segadoway; 01-18-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Thread Information