Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    What makes you think that? The values i just noted can be found in tae kwon do, karate and akido so i am unclear as to why you think i don't practice martial arts?
    What makes you respond to my question with a question? Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex
    What makes you respond to my question with a question? Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?
    What makes you respond to his question with a question? Can't you just answer why you thought he didnt practice any martial arts?
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo
    What makes you respond to his question with a question? Can't you just answer why you thought he didnt practice any martial arts?
    That was me who asked him a question first. That's why.

Because it was as if you thought the values i mentioned were conclusive enough to suggest i didn't practice a particular martial art even though the values are clearly found in many martial arts. So i asked why, based on me mentioning values found in martial arts, you deduced that i did not practice martial arts? The answer to my question isn't immediately apparent where as the answer to what you are asking is answered in abundance within this thread.

Perhaps the answers already present don't satisfy you in which case i suggest if you want a different answer you ask a different question. I mean come on, you are asking if i practice martial arts and my first thread says "i am a martial artist", also i later go on to mention my sifu as well as discussing martial arts and the qualities found within them - and from all that you arrive at an idea that i don't do martial arts?

Now tell me, after taking all of the afore mentioned facts into consideration, do i really need to answer the question?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo
    I was just curious if he does any martial arts or not. So I decided to ask him a question expecting him to *actually* give me back a "yes/no" (at least) kind of answer. But I got back a question instead.

That was me who asked him a question first. That's why.
    A question that had already been answered within this thread yet i still don't think my question has been answered, i mean its like you are in the twilight zone or something, i say i'm a martial artist and you derrive from that an idea that i don't do martial arts, its pretty odd.

I was just curious if he does any martial arts or not. So I decided to ask him a question expecting him to *actually* give me back a "yes/no" (at least) kind of answer. But I got back a question instead.
    Dude, i said i was a martial artist, what do you think martial artists do?

Because it was as if you thought the values i mentioned were conclusive enough to suggest i didn't practice a particular martial art even though the values are clearly found in many martial arts.
    I didn't really mean to say that you don't do MA. On the contrary I just wanted to specify what martial arts exactly you study.

Because it was as if you thought the values i mentioned were conclusive enough to suggest i didn't practice a particular martial art even though the values are clearly found in many martial arts.
    And that's the issue. Since the values you described are found in a number of MA I got curious about what specific MA you do.

... The answer to my question isn't immediately apparent where as the answer to what you are asking is answered in abundance within this thread.
    Not really.

Perhaps the answers already present don't satisfy you in which case i suggest if you want a different answer you ask a different question.
    So what MA exactly do you do?

I mean come on, you are asking if i practice martial arts and my first thread says "i am a martial artist", also i later go on to mention my sifu as well as discussing martial arts and the qualities found within them - and from all that you arrive at an idea that i don't do martial arts?
    I am not asking if you just do some MA arts or you don't. I'm asking what MA exactly do you do?

Now tell me, after taking all of the afore mentioned facts into consideration, do i really need to answer the question?
    I'm afraid you need to.

A question that had already been answered within this thread yet i still don't think my question has been answered, i mean its like you are in the twilight zone or something, i say i'm a martial artist and you derrive from that an idea that i don't do martial arts, its pretty odd.
    I didn't derive an idea that "you don't do martial arts". Again, on the contrary I understood that you have some knowledge on the subject discussed and I deduced that apparently you must be doing some MA. What MA exactly you do was all I wanted to get from you at that point.

I guess me being in "twilight zone or something" like putting a question in a wrong way is what created so much misunderstanding.

I didn't really mean to say that you don't do MA. On the contrary I just wanted to specify what martial arts exactly you study.
    Well say what you mean then!

And that's the issue. Since the values you described are found in a number of MA I got curious about what specific MA you do.
    Well seeing as values are similar throughout, the particular style becomes rather unimportant. Lets think of the style of no style and not get caught up in rather unimportant factors within martial arts. I mean i was more specific on my martial philosophy than i could ever be in naming a style.

Not really.
    Yes really, remember you were the one who jumped to a conclusion that i didn't do a martial art at all after i clearly spoke of martial elements after saying i was a martial artist. You began asking a question that really didn't need asking and now you are even agreeing that what you were curious about is which art i did yet you suggested i didn't do any art? Which is why it was your question that was flawed which is why i questioned it, so you could either rephrase it, rethink it or whatever.

So what MA exactly do you do?
    you can call it the art of fighting without fighting!

I am not asking if you just do some MA arts or you don't. I'm asking what MA exactly do you do?
    Thats what you are asking now but not what you were asking before, and it still doesn't answer why you came to the conclusion that i didn't do any martial arts does it?

I'm afraid you need to.
    No, you have asked a different question than the one you asked before. Before you asked:

"I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?"

now a martial artist would be someone that practices a particular martial art would they not?

you also asked:

Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?

which is also answered by my saying i am a martial artist. So i am afraid to answer the questions you have asked up until this post i am quoting i should not need to answer as the answers are already available. You have now asked a different question, which i answered with a semi joke (its more truth than joke to be honest).

It was indeed up to you to revise your question which is why i questioned it as what you were asking didn't need answering. So it wasn't me who needed to answer the question it was you who needed to ask the question first, now you have finally decided to ask what you wanted an answer to i will answer you. Although the information has been present in my profile the whole time, i train and teach yip family wing chun...but you can call it the art of fighting without fighting.

I didn't derive an idea that "you don't do martial arts". Again, on the contrary I understood that you have some knowledge on the subject discussed and I deduced that apparently you must be doing some MA. What MA exactly you do was all I wanted to get from you at that point.
    Well you derived this "So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?" which pretty much suggests you were of the opinion and needed clarity that i didn't do any particular martial arts.

If you wanted to know what martial art idid the best thing you can do is ask that, not ask questions that assume i don't to martial arts, because before i answer i will want to clarify why you think i don't after i said i do. Like i said, it was the question that was wrong.

I guess me being in "twilight zone or something" like putting a question in a wrong way is what created so much misunderstanding.
    again, the question wasn't the wrong way it was just plain the wrong question in contrast with what you actually wanted to ask.

For anyone who doesn't know about yip family wing chun or wing chun in general here is a laymans guide complete with brummy accents focusing on an ex cheif instructor of mine, sifu shaun rawcliffe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ANxwDnBxsY

And for those who found that a bit yawn worthy heres a cheesy music video from a new york sifu focusing on wing chun. Sifu jose grados:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUCCtb9uOs
    Last edited by straightXed; 07-25-2007 at 05:06 PM.

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    i wanted to practice wing chun with my girlfriend, but at the moment i couldnt afford them... and, i still cant, but when i get a second job im gonna go there and join up!
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

Well say what you mean then!
    I will!

Well seeing as values are similar throughout, the particular style becomes rather unimportant. Lets think of the style of no style and not get caught up in rather unimportant factors within martial arts. I mean i was more specific on my martial philosophy than i could ever be in naming a style.
    Jeez, can't you just answer directly the question I asked, can you?
    Why did you decide that I'm interested now in all these details?
    All I wanted (and still want to) was the name of the martial arts you practice. No more no less.

I'm open to new information and that's something you actually give when you go into detailed explanations. That's fine but I just want to know the name of MA you practice.

Are you trying to avoid answering my question directly?

Yes really, remember you were the one who jumped to a conclusion that i didn't do a martial art at all after i clearly spoke of martial elements after saying i was a martial artist.
    Okay, let me remind you that the English language isn't my first language so chances are that I failed to express my thoughts the right way. I'll repeat it again - I understood that you were into MA and doing a particular one. I was just trying to specify the name of MA you practice.

You began asking a question that really didn't need asking and now you are even agreeing that what you were curious about is which art i did yet you suggested i didn't do any art?
    See above and all of my prior posts trying to reach you with my message "I didn't even try to suggest that you don't do MA".

Which is why it was your question that was flawed which is why i questioned it, so you could either rephrase it, rethink it or whatever.

Yes, I could really rephrase it, rethink it or whatever. The next time I'll do before posting.

you can call it the art of fighting without fighting!
    There's no such MA, is there? I never heard of it before and moreover it doesn't really sound as the name of MA. I'll try it again - I want to know the name of MA you practice.

Thats what you are asking now but not what you were asking before, and it still doesn't answer why you came to the conclusion that i didn't do any martial arts does it?
    Please, see above.

No, you have asked a different question than the one you asked before. Before you asked:

"I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?"

now a martial artist would be someone that practices a particular martial art would they not?
    I think that a martial artist is someone that practices a particular MA (such as Aikido, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, etc.)

you also asked:

Can't you just answer if you do or you do not?

which is also answered by my saying i am a martial artist.
    I figured that you are early on. That's not the point of my question.

So i am afraid to answer the questions you have asked up until this post i am quoting i should not need to answer
    Then you should consider answering the new ones. In fact, if you answer the only one it'll be just great: What's the name of MA that you practice?

as the answers are already available.
    I can't see the answer to my question (coming before this quoting) in your responds. Do you expect me to guess it myself?

You have now asked a different question, which i answered with a semi joke (its more truth than joke to be honest). It was indeed up to you to revise your question which is why i questioned it as what you were asking didn't need answering.
    I agree that I should've rephrased my question. My fault.

So it wasn't me who needed to answer the question it was you who needed to ask the question first,
    I asked it, but I asked it the wrong way. Which is a quite a different story.

now you have finally decided to ask what you wanted an answer to i will answer you. Although the information has been present in my profile the whole time, i train and teach yip family wing chun...but you can call it the art of fighting without fighting.
    Thank you so much. That's all I wanted to know.

Now if you don't mind my asking, please, tell me what makes you write so many commentaries to posts of others? Honestly, I'm curious about it.
    Last edited by xCrucialDudex; 07-26-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Well you derived this "So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?" which pretty much suggests you were of the opinion and needed clarity that i didn't do any particular martial arts.

If you wanted to know what martial art idid the best thing you can do is ask that, not ask questions that assume i don't to martial arts, because before i answer i will want to clarify why you think i don't after i said i do. Like i said, it was the question that was wrong.

again, the question wasn't the wrong way it was just plain the wrong question in contrast with what you actually wanted to ask.
    Thanks for explanations. It'll help me to avoid asking wrong questions next time.

Thread Information