Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Martial Arts

anyone in here in to martial arts? =D im just so glad that i got in to my dream martial art. It's called Yaw Yan. That's short for SaYAW ng KamataYAN which means "Dance of Death." It's Filipino Kickboxing. I'm just so glad that i finally get to study my own native martial art. =D
    I'm forever blowing bubbles...

Quote Originally Posted by xpatchxrojasx
    anyone in here in to martial arts? =D im just so glad that i got in to my dream martial art. It's called Yaw Yan. That's short for SaYAW ng KamataYAN which means "Dance of Death." It's Filipino Kickboxing. I'm just so glad that i finally get to study my own native martial art. =D
    I'm a martial artist. Glad you found a school you are happy with.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

nice..what do you practice?
    I'm forever blowing bubbles...

Quote Originally Posted by xpatchxrojasx
    nice..what do you practice?
    You can call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    and that is something like sitting and thinking about stuff telling attackers: "chill out dude I'm busy"?

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex
    and that is something like sitting and thinking about stuff telling attackers: "chill out dude I'm busy"?
    well no, its actually a quote from enter the dragon. But the statement basically elludes to the idea of winning your battles way before they ever come to physical fighting by understanding yourself fully and reading your enemy as best as possible. The art of war by sun tzu lay grounds to this by saying that "the ultimate achievement is to win a battle without ever fighting" and the ways to do this are to understand yourself and your enemy. Saying "chill out dude i'm busy" may anger your attacker which can serve in your favour if you are aware of that situation fully and wish to anger them. A martial artist should see themselves as the general of the battle and a good general won't make stupid sacrafices of the troops before exhausting all other valid options. When it comes to needing to fight it should be done efficiantly and not clouded by emotional judgement but winning a battle using physical force is a lowly acheivement compared to winning one with no violence and a much lower risk. As people get older the idea of risk assessment plays a larger part in choices; an 18 year old guy with no job, living at home and no dependants will have a lot less to lose by fighting and so often young people fight. An older gentleman with a house, a car, a decent job, a wife and kids has much more to lose by putting himself at risk in a violent situation. This is also reflected in nature, many animals behave very differently when they have had offspring and will avoid the risk until its imperitive to deal with it violently for protection but the realise they have dependants and are less likely to make a foolish risk. A decent martial artist doesn't look to fight, all the physical training is just a small part of what a martial artist represents and the desire to prove martial abilty by fighting is a sure sign of someone who is very early on the path to becoming a martial artist. Fighting for sport however is another discussion altogether. But yeah, its just a quote from enter the dragon.

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex
    I see. So you do not practice any particular MA such as Taek-won-do/Karate/Aikido/Boxing/etc., do you?
    What makes you think that? The values i just noted can be found in tae kwon do, karate and akido so i am unclear as to why you think i don't practice martial arts?

I'm totally into martial arts. I did kung fu when I was younger. Couldn't stick with it I guess lol. But now I do goju ryu. I prefer this style.
    You live...You learn....