Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: New folks

Quote Originally Posted by xWiglex
    Heh , there are no bands either , sure there are 3-4 bands + my band.. Yet , seeing the same bands over and over again isn't that exiting .

And , dude you never been in my hometown.. I NEVER SAW A STRAIGHT EDGER in my life ( well , in my city at least ) . I know there are some , yet only a few . So , all this mob of 1,000,000 ( ~ population of riga ) - 14-50 edgers.. and they start asking... It's not like they will pass it on , they will say " ask that guy , he told me " to their friends .
    I think you completely missed the point. I'll try again, so theres no bands? but 4 or 5 bands is not none and scenes start small all over the place, i don't see what stops you getting bands from other places to play in your town and in return the 4 or 5 bands from your town could play in other places to make things more interesting and expand on the idea of building a scene. Thats what everyone else in the world does.

I never said i had been to your town but it makes no difference, there was no straightedge people in my town for absoloutely years, there were a few people who had heard about it but weren't completely clued up on it and had negative views on it. I answered questions and told people what was up and people then had a much better idea of things, they got much more from speaking with me than you could get out of a wikipedia page. People usually ask because they are interested, i'm unsure as to what "seeing a straightedger" has to do with anything. Some of the people who i spoke with later became edge themselves which was supprising to me, some people simply evaluated their stance on drugs and things which lead to change in one way or another. I wasn't intentionally converting people or preaching about straightedge i was just simply honest, open and helpful to people with genuine interest. I mean if i had your attitude these uneducated people would remain in the dark about what straightedge is and to add to it they would think i was a bit rude and associate that with straightedge.

But with all that said i do understand that people can just continually ask annoying questions that aren't thoughtful in the slightest and it can be bothersome. Some people will want to just argue and talk nonsense with you and it serves no purpose but you shouldn't judge everyone based on how those people bevhave because those people are generally idiots that waste your time but theres always going to be people who are more genuine.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Dave
    They're good, I only have 2 songs, as iTunes can be a bit of a rip off, Start Today and Gorilla Biscuits, I probs be getting more. :)

New direction is a must.

Heya, I'm Tracey. *waves* I've been Edge for about 10 years now, and still going strong. I'm getting ready to start my professional career as a museum curator, and I specialize in Victorian tiles (British specifically). Submitting my masters thesis in (checks calendar) 9 days, and getting married in less than 3 months to the guy I've been dating for 7 years (and who is also edge). I'm a dork, I'm not hot, and I'm not particularly cool. But I'm up for anything, enjoy a good debate, and have a lot of fun with life.

How old are you? 23

Where are you from? This is kinda complicated. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Then I moved to Northern Ireland, then back to the states to finish my degree, then I moved to Glasgow, Scotland. So at the moment, I live in Scotland, although I'm (unhappily) returning to America in a month.

List some bands you are into at the moment.
    -I'm on a ska kick at the moment. Been enjoying some Toots and the Maytals lately, and rediscovering a Pittsburgh band called The Code, and Whatever It Takes. Not specifically edge, but still good choons.

What is the last record you bought?
    -geez...um...wow..it has been a while...I guess it was the Young, Gifted and Black compilation (the first one...its all old reggae and ska and soul).

Choose either pile ons and sing alongs or spin kicks and two-step? I'm a pile ons and sing alongs gal myself.

What four sxe hxc bands, past or present, would you like to see play a show together?

H20 (kinda grew up on them)
    Good Clean Fun
    Youth of Today (I had a tape that I used to play in my red plastic radio wayyy back in middle school)
    Minor Threat (just for the craic really).

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BealFeirste View Post
    Heya, I'm Tracey. *waves* I've been Edge for about 10 years now, and still going strong. I'm getting ready to start my professional career as a museum curator, and I specialize in Victorian tiles (British specifically). Submitting my masters thesis in (checks calendar) 9 days, and getting married in less than 3 months to the guy I've been dating for 7 years (and who is also edge). I'm a dork, I'm not hot, and I'm not particularly cool. But I'm up for anything, enjoy a good debate, and have a lot of fun with life.

How old are you? 23

Where are you from? This is kinda complicated. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Then I moved to Northern Ireland, then back to the states to finish my degree, then I moved to Glasgow, Scotland. So at the moment, I live in Scotland, although I'm (unhappily) returning to America in a month.

-I'm on a ska kick at the moment. Been enjoying some Toots and the Maytals lately, and rediscovering a Pittsburgh band called The Code, and Whatever It Takes. Not specifically edge, but still good choons.

-geez...um...wow..it has been a while...I guess it was the Young, Gifted and Black compilation (the first one...its all old reggae and ska and soul).

Choose either pile ons and sing alongs or spin kicks and two-step? I'm a pile ons and sing alongs gal myself.

What four sxe hxc bands, past or present, would you like to see play a show together?

Good Clean Fun
    Youth of Today (I had a tape that I used to play in my red plastic radio wayyy back in middle school)
    hey there, welcome!
    hope you have fun having fun in here!
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

How old are you? 23

Good Clean Fun
    is there a lot of call for tile curators?

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    is there a lot of call for tile curators?
    Not specifically. It's more likely that I'd be doing valuations for auction houses and such in terms of tiles, but my graduate programme was Decorative Arts and Design, which is basically everything but paintings (wall paper, tiles, dresses, silverwear, china, architecture, stained glass, etc). The tiles is just something I fell into for some reason. Although, there are two museums dedicated strictly to tiles, on at Jackfield in the Ironbridge Gorge in Shropshire, England, and another at Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire England. But those are highly prized council jobs and its not likely that they're hiring.

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    Hi Tracey. Welcome to the forums.

I'm glad someone is getting away from this place. I don't know why you aren't happy to leave here for America.
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

Quote Originally Posted by D1988 View Post
    Hi Tracey. Welcome to the forums.

I'm glad someone is getting away from this place. I don't know why you aren't happy to leave here for America.
    What part of the Big Rainy are you fae?

I was perfectly happy to live in America, until I moved to Northern Ireland and discovered how much more there is to life here. Life is slower here, which is good. It isn't 24-7 all the time. It isn't dog-eat-dog and fuck yies if you can't get by. I don't know, its just...I feel like I'm home here. Every time I go back to America, I have culture clash...like it's overstimulating. I land back in Glasgow, and immediately, I relax, reconnect, breathe easier. There's something about it, something about the way people live here, that suits me.

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar

I was perfectly happy to live in America, until I moved to Northern Ireland and discovered how much more there is to life here. Life is slower here, which is good. It isn't 24-7 all the time. It isn't dog-eat-dog and fuck yies if you can't get by. I don't know, its just...I feel like I'm home here. Every time I go back to America, I have culture clash...like it's overstimulating. I land back in Glasgow, and immediately, I relax, reconnect, breathe easier. There's something about it, something about the way people live here, that suits me.
    I live over in Fife. The west is better than the east, so you have the better deal that way!

I am glad you enjoy it here. Atleast you have had the experience of living in these different places and discovering where it is you like to be the most :)
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

it isn't but it's also a lot harder to get ahead in the UK than it is in the US. The wages are lower, the taxes are higher and everything generally costs more. People in the US do work more than people in UK, but there's also more upward mobility in the US than there is in the UK. I think being there as a student and being there as someone trying to build a life would be very different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    it isn't but it's also a lot harder to get ahead in the UK than it is in the US. The wages are lower, the taxes are higher and everything generally costs more. People in the US do work more than people in UK, but there's also more upward mobility in the US than there is in the UK. I think being there as a student and being there as someone trying to build a life would be very different experiences.
    Taxes are higher, aye, but those taxes pay for my healthcare, which would be $800+ a month for me back in the states because I have type 1 diabetes. I don't pay for my prescriptions (diabetic or otherwise). Education costs less, even with the conversion (home and EU student fees for uni in Scotland are something like 1,300 GBP per year, which gets paid by SAAS, which students pay back only after they earn > 15,000 GBP a year, unlike american FAFSA/Stafford funds that start being paid back after 6 months if you have the money or not). The taxes support the free museums, leisure centres, and other tangible things within the council.

I'm doing both my postgraduate education and trying to get ahead here. Ive been working and applying for permanent work here (i.e. career). I'm very much building a life here for myself. I in no way intend for this move back to America to be permanent (the thought scares the crap out of me).

I don't know about the wage being lower...all of my jobs have paid me equivalent to what I was paid in the states (min. wage in PA is $7.25. Every job I've had here has paid me 7.50 GBP or more).

As for things costing more...I don't know about that. It seems that things cost about the same. Things are more expensive in Ireland, but it's a wee island removed from the continent and lots of places are rural. In Scotland...I've found things to be cheaper or the same price to living in the US (i.e. a loaf of bread costs 1.09 GBP, and it costs $1.09 in the us).

My rent is cheap, but I flatshare in a non-posh neighbourhood and bike commute to uni (in the posh bit), so my rent is 180GBP a month, plus 20GBP for utilities (light, internet).

I dunno, I guess the urge to get ahead just isn't there for me. I just want to live comfortably, do what I love, and have my health. And in terms of that, the UK is a better job market for cultural jobs. Meh, guess its all how you look at it.

Taxes are higher, aye, but those taxes pay for my healthcare, which would be $800+ a month for me back in the states because I have type 1 diabetes. I don't pay for my prescriptions (diabetic or otherwise). Education costs less, even with the conversion (home and EU student fees for uni in Scotland are something like 1,300 GBP per year, which gets paid by SAAS, which students pay back only after they earn > 15,000 GBP a year, unlike american FAFSA/Stafford funds that start being paid back after 6 months if you have the money or not). The taxes support the free museums, leisure centres, and other tangible things within the council.
    The NHS is also completely fucked and bankrupt but that's another discussion all together. You're literally taxed for everything you do in the UK. Own a tv? Pay a license. Own a car, pay a bunch of taxes. Buy anything other than food, pay a shitload of vat.
    Then you have you have to payinto national insurance as well. Assuming a simple 22% income tax rate and then 100 pounds a week for NIl, you're looking at literally half of your income going to taxes, and that's just the ones that come out of your paycheck to begin with. The tax difference is significant and shouldn't be discounted.

I'm doing both my postgraduate education and trying to get ahead here. Ive been working and applying for permanent work here (i.e. career). I'm very much building a life here for myself. I in no way intend for this move back to America to be permanent (the thought scares the crap out of me).

I don't know about the wage being lower...all of my jobs have paid me equivalent to what I was paid in the states (min. wage in PA is $7.25. Every job I've had here has paid me 7.50 GBP or more).

As for things costing more...I don't know about that. It seems that things cost about the same. Things are more expensive in Ireland, but it's a wee island removed from the continent and lots of places are rural. In Scotland...I've found things to be cheaper or the same price to living in the US (i.e. a loaf of bread costs 1.09 GBP, and it costs $1.09 in the us).
    Yeah but that's actually the root of it. 1.09 pounds is closer to $2.20. The median salary in england is 24k, where here it's $48k and scotland is 21k. So if everything that costs a dollar here costs a pound there and you're making fewer than half as many pounds as you are dollars, it makes a giant difference.

My rent is cheap, but I flatshare in a non-posh neighbourhood and bike commute to uni (in the posh bit), so my rent is 180GBP a month, plus 20GBP for utilities (light, internet).

I dunno, I guess the urge to get ahead just isn't there for me. I just want to live comfortably, do what I love, and have my health. And in terms of that, the UK is a better job market for cultural jobs. Meh, guess its all how you look at it.
    it's not even a matter of just getting ahead, it's harder to even stay afloat there. Look at the number of people on welfare in the UK compared to the US. It's hard as hell to live there and everyone I know that does is struggling to feel safe and secure. I'm just saying that going to school somewhere and living there are totally different things and that it may be a lot harder than you think it will be. Next time you're in the pub talk to people about how much money they're able to put into savings. How easy it was for them to buy a decent house or a decent car.

hi
    i am an italian boy who would like know more about edge

Quote Originally Posted by piscuic View Post
    hi
    i am an italian boy who would like know more about edge
    ask questions about what you want to know, or search the forums to see if its something thats been discussed before.

official retarded child chadfitzy's Avatar
    toots and themaytals are the best damn ska band ever man!

Thread Information