Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this right for an edge?

Is this right for an edge?

Alright so i'm straight edge right? I dont drink, or smoke, or have casual sex. Heres the question, my dad want's me to study to do some bar work and i'm fine with that. just for the fun of it. you know, mix some drinks. this has alcohol of course. can i do bar work while i dont drink and be edge at the same time? or will this be contradicting?
    I'm forever blowing bubbles...

Quote Originally Posted by xpatchxrojasx
    Alright so i'm straight edge right? I dont drink, or smoke, or have casual sex. Heres the question, my dad want's me to study to do some bar work and i'm fine with that. just for the fun of it. you know, mix some drinks. this has alcohol of course. can i do bar work while i dont drink and be edge at the same time? or will this be contradicting?
    Do you think it will be contradicting?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Do you think it will be contradicting?
    I do.
    Cuandon tengas ideales x los cuales luchar, te darás cuenta que no debes callar.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoretta
    I do.
    then you can answer the question and it does seem like a question most people can answer themselves without asking others. I think its important to have established an understanding of what it is they stand for when they say straightedge, if they are fine with mixing drinks and condoning alcohol then thats great but they should look at how straightedge is a very anti alcohol stance. I think a better question would be how is it not contradicting?

I personally think it goes against edge, because even if you're not consuming alcohol, you're still supporting the companies that makes the products.

from the deep south.
    I dont really think you could be serving people drinks and be straight edge, it's like the same as being a drug dealer but saying your straight edge because you dont use the drugs. I'm not so much against the consumption of alcohol, I believe in freedom of choice but I wouldn't really feel comfortable selling alcohol to other people. It's up to you in the end though, if you feel you can be sxe and work in a bar mixing and serving drinks or even learning the skills to serve drinks then you should do it and you shouldn't get upset when other people give you shit about being sxe and working in a bar.

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    You would be aiding the sale and consumption of a substance you apparently have a stance against. Do you think this is "Against Straight Edge"?

Quote Originally Posted by PROPER JERK
    I dont really think you could be serving people drinks and be straight edge, it's like the same as being a drug dealer but saying your straight edge because you dont use the drugs. I'm not so much against the consumption of alcohol, I believe in freedom of choice but I wouldn't really feel comfortable selling alcohol to other people. It's up to you in the end though, if you feel you can be sxe and work in a bar mixing and serving drinks or even learning the skills to serve drinks then you should do it and you shouldn't get upset when other people give you shit about being sxe and working in a bar.

Nothing wrong with believing in freedom of choice but you don't have to think the choice is right, being straightedge elludes to you thinking the consumption of alcohol is wrong and an incorrect and falwed choice to make. This doesn't negate freedom of choice. And yes it is up to them but the question that was asked was "will this be contradicting?" or like i asked "how is it not contradicting?" and it is a contradiction, regardless of getting shit or being upset the fact is it is a contradiction, like a vegan working in an abottoir, not eating the meat doesn't excuse every other action that aides the meat industry.

Quote Originally Posted by S110111
    I personally think it goes against edge, because even if you're not consuming alcohol, you're still supporting the companies that makes the products.
    And people who drink alcohol.
    Cuandon tengas ideales x los cuales luchar, te darás cuenta que no debes callar.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoretta
    And people who drink alcohol.
    Exactly. I mean, I think its even against edge to work at a bar, because the place itself is supporting the consumption of alcohol. Even if you're mopping the floors, or taking out the trash, you're still supporting a place where they sell alcohol.

Exactly. I mean, I think its even against edge to work at a bar, because the place itself is supporting the consumption of alcohol. Even if you're mopping the floors, or taking out the trash, you're still supporting a place where they sell alcohol.
    Exactly.

so would you rule out working in a supermarket, resteraunt, hotel, airline etc?

so would you rule out working in a supermarket, resteraunt, hotel, airline etc?
    apples to oranges. one is it's primary business, the others are secondary at best.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    apples to oranges. one is it's primary business, the others are secondary at best.
    so primary buisness is the decider rather than the fact a place sells alcohol.

so primary buisness is the decider rather than the fact a place sells alcohol.
    considering everything that you listed provides alcohol as a small part of their business, with the possible exception of restaurants , trying to compare them to bars or liquor stores isn't apples to apples.

Thread Information