Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol in cooking

from the deep south.

Alcohol in cooking

When alcohol such as wine is used in cooking the alcohol evaporates off. Some people still avoid food that had wine or different types of alcohol used in the cooking even though there is no alcohol present in the food because a substance was used in the making and they feel it's against their straight edge beliefs.

opinions please.

Quote Originally Posted by PROPER JERK
    When alcohol such as wine is used in cooking the alcohol evaporates off. Some people still avoid food that had wine or different types of alcohol used in the cooking even though there is no alcohol present in the food because a substance was used in the making and they feel it's against their straight edge beliefs.

opinions please.
    the alcohol doesn't completely burn off.

but for me, it's not a matter of that. it's a matter of economics.I can't see how someone can be against alcohol consumption and then actively fund the creation of alcohol. Why would you buy alcohol if you're against it?

Cool Kid =)
    My mom cooks with wine and she says the alcohol cooks out, but I can't see how all of it just dissappears. So I just don't eat it. I don't think I'd really like it to begin with haha

I don't eat food with alcohol cooked into it because I don't like the taste. To be honest I've never thought of it in relation to straight edge, I've just always hated the taste of wine etc. so I've always avoided food with it in.
    ~*~ Sarah~*~

opinions please.
    But what about foods where the substance is not cooked, and therefore does not burn away?
    (BTW I don't consume alcohol in any form, cooked or not.)
    Love of this country is based on nothing but the fear of living somewhere worse/And gratitude shouldn't be the reaction to someone else being slaughtered first!-
    Aus-Rotten- The Dying and The Dead

from the deep south.
    If it wasnt cooked then it isn't evaporated and that would be consuming alcohol yes.

If it wasnt cooked then it isn't evaporated and that would be consuming alcohol yes.
    even if it is cooked, it doesn't all evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    yeah but did you know that even if you bake some bread alcohol emerges and when you eat fruits you body himself also produces alcohol in low amounts.
    So you can't stay away from any alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie
    yeah but did you know that even if you bake some bread alcohol emerges and when you eat fruits you body himself also produces alcohol in low amounts.
    So you can't stay away from any alcohol.
    Yes, but there's a world of difference between something that's a side effect of adding yeast to something and adding wine or beer or other liquior to food. It's not a matter of consuming a small amount of alcohol, it's about funding the alcohol industry.

from the deep south.
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    I understand that, it would be completely impossible for it all to evaporate.

I do not buy alcohol to cook with, although I will eat a meal that has had alcohol used in the making because I don't think it's worth me refusing something that someone has gone to the effort to make me because it has an almost negligible trace of alcohol in it and had alcohol used in the making.

I understand that, it would be completely impossible for it all to evaporate.

I do not buy alcohol to cook with, although I will eat a meal that has had alcohol used in the making because I don't think it's worth me refusing something that someone has gone to the effort to make me because it has an almost negligible trace of alcohol in it and had alcohol used in the making.
    so if you were vegetarian you'd eat things made with animal stock or lard?

from the deep south.
    I would never be a vegetarian, I can see the point you are trying to get across and yeh it makes sense. I just don't see the point of making a fuss over something so minute.

I would never be a vegetarian, I can see the point you are trying to get across and yeh it makes sense. I just don't see the point of making a fuss over something so minute.
    so why wouldn't you alert the people cooking for you to an aversion you have, the same with any food allergy or other dietary restriction?

from the deep south.
    because I don't see it as a problem, maybe if it was a single person cooking for me and it was just going to be me and them I would alert them but for a family dinner I am not going to tell them to change things just for me unless there was a significant amount of alcohol in the food.

because I don't see it as a problem, maybe if it was a single person cooking for me and it was just going to be me and them I would alert them but for a family dinner I am not going to tell them to change things just for me unless there was a significant amount of alcohol in the food.
    Why isn't it a problem though? Why would the amount of alcohol matter, if you're worried about peoples feelings?

Thread Information