Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost Fell Off The Edge

Almost Fell Off The Edge

I'm not quite sure if this is the best area to make a thread like this, but I"m looking for some advice and pep talk.

As some of you might remember from my introduction last month - i was heavy on the alcohol and heavy on the smoking. I have however commited to straight edge and im heading on my 6th month soon (might sound meager but im highly commited and true to this philosophy).
    However last night I attended a party where all my friends were. They all drank, smoked their pot, had their sex, ect. There wasn't an ounce of peer preasure since they know if they temp me they'll end up face down on the floor - but an incident occured with one of my ladyfriends that crushed me. I became angered and attemped to start a fight which landed me with an other friend insulting and humiliating me infront of me entire entourage.

I must admit - i was very close to breaking down - i left the party for a short time and was so depressed and discouraged that i attempted to drown my sorrow with alcohol and smokes. Gladly, a true friend (not sXe but he supports me more then anyone) was there to prevent me before the poissoning was able to reach me.

Afterwards i was even more ashamed at the fact that i was too weak to resist such a blow, which made me feel even worse.

Can anyone give me advice on things I should do to prevent somrthing like this from happening again? or things that might get my smile back up so that i can get back to enjoying my night?

It would be apreciated - but please dont critisize me too harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by sXe Commish
    I'm not quite sure if this is the best area to make a thread like this, but I"m looking for some advice and pep talk.

As some of you might remember from my introduction last month - i was heavy on the alcohol and heavy on the smoking. I have however commited to straight edge and im heading on my 6th month soon (might sound meager but im highly commited and true to this philosophy).
    However last night I attended a party where all my friends were. They all drank, smoked their pot, had their sex, ect. There wasn't an ounce of peer preasure since they know if they temp me they'll end up face down on the floor - but an incident occured with one of my ladyfriends that crushed me. I became angered and attemped to start a fight which landed me with an other friend insulting and humiliating me infront of me entire entourage.

I must admit - i was very close to breaking down - i left the party for a short time and was so depressed and discouraged that i attempted to drown my sorrow with alcohol and smokes. Gladly, a true friend (not sXe but he supports me more then anyone) was there to prevent me before the poissoning was able to reach me.

Afterwards i was even more ashamed at the fact that i was too weak to resist such a blow, which made me feel even worse.

Can anyone give me advice on things I should do to prevent somrthing like this from happening again? or things that might get my smile back up so that i can get back to enjoying my night?

It would be apreciated - but please dont critisize me too harshly.

if you had a serious problem with drugs and alcohol. you might want to seriously consider either getting new friends or avoiding situations with larges amounts of drugs and alcohol, edge or not. if you're not around it, there's less of a chance of temptation if it isn't around.

I have considered finding a new group of pals to be around. However, being the only edge kid at my school (over 1000 people) and only personally knowing ONE other Straight Edge group in Ottawa, there's not much I can do.

Its not actually my friends who tempted me, it's just the fact that I used to be heavy on drinking (my reputation for this still scars me) and when I'm feeling angry, I tend to calm down when I'm high on something.

Next party I'm hoping to avoid the assholes, if not, I'll take my anger out on them rather then on myself.

Thanks for the bit of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sXe Commish
    I have considered finding a new group of pals to be around. However, being the only edge kid at my school (over 1000 people) and only personally knowing ONE other Straight Edge group in Ottawa, there's not much I can do.

Its not actually my friends who tempted me, it's just the fact that I used to be heavy on drinking (my reputation for this still scars me) and when I'm feeling angry, I tend to calm down when I'm high on something.

Next party I'm hoping to avoid the assholes, if not, I'll take my anger out on them rather then on myself.

Thanks for the bit of advice.
    Good way to avoid the assholes is avoid the party's they attend. And if you do decide to attend the same party as the assholes i would offer the advice of not taking your anger out on them as that would lead to an equally self destructive path. You need to figure out better ways to deal with your anger.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Find another way to get your anger out- for example, Henry Rollins used weights.
    Love of this country is based on nothing but the fear of living somewhere worse/And gratitude shouldn't be the reaction to someone else being slaughtered first!-
    Aus-Rotten- The Dying and The Dead

Cool Kid =)
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Good way to avoid the assholes is avoid the party's they attend. And if you do decide to attend the same party as the assholes i would offer the advice of not taking your anger out on them as that would lead to an equally self destructive path. You need to figure out better ways to deal with your anger.
    Will second this.

Registered User WorkingClassSkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xANTI-HUMANx
    Find another way to get your anger out- for example, Henry Rollins used weights.
    Hell yeah! Go to the gym or go buy some weights to use at home. Great stress relief. When I get pissed (common occurrence with my job) I go to the gym and crush some weights. I feel better afterwards in more ways than one. After a while, you'll be so proud of the body you've created through all your hard work, you wouldn't be able to stomach the thought of abusing it with alcohol or cigarettes.

It's a good support system.
    Yeah, I used to play sports, but then I found out you can just buy the trophies.

Added bonus: Nobody tries to force their opinions upon a guy who can bench press 475 pounds.

It's nice to be respected.
    Yeah, I used to play sports, but then I found out you can just buy the trophies.

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassSkin
    Added bonus: Nobody tries to force their opinions upon a guy who can bench press 475 pounds.

i thought that was called fear
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

Either/or. Hahaha!

gosh, can you bench press 475 pounds?

478 last week. Still working on 500, but I'm sure that's a long way off. I've been working toward that goal for 3 years now. *sigh* Someday. Hahaha!

478 last week. Still working on 500, but I'm sure that's a long way off. I've been working toward that goal for 3 years now. *sigh* Someday. Hahaha!
    Wow, i guess i'll be keeping all my opinions to myself then!!! You seem like a very strong man.

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Wow, i guess i'll be keeping all my opinions to myself then!!! You seem like a very strong man.
    yeah, but you can make fun of him while he's not around
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo
    yeah, but you can make fun of him while he's not around
    Definitely. Have at it! Hahahaha!

Thread Information