Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee, Caffine, Sex?

Coffee, Caffine, Sex?

What are your guys' beliefs on drinking coffee and things like soda?
    Can i also get some opinions on sex and different stances.

Quote Originally Posted by xstefahnx
    What are your guys' beliefs on drinking coffee and things like soda?
    Can i also get some opinions on sex and different stances.
    caffeine's a drug, so I avoid it in amounts that can effect me like any other drug.

I don't think sex really matters in terms of straight edge.

I don't drink caffeine because, like Dusty, I believe it's a drug, like alochol and nicotine, so should be avoided.

As for sex, I'm not the type of person to sleep around anyway, but I don't necessarily believe it's part of straight edge.
    ~*~ Sarah~*~

I'm not anal about caffeine. I drink tea, because it's a healthy beverage. I get decaffeinated when I can, but I don't obsess if I drink small amounts of caffeine now and then.

Also, the hardcore kids of the eighties chugged coca cola like a mofo.

As for the sex thing, I think a person with the mindset to want to embrace Straight Edge has to make up his or her own mind. I personally wanna be friends with someone at least before sleeping with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaf
    I'm not anal about caffeine. I drink tea, because it's a healthy beverage. I get decaffeinated when I can, but I don't obsess if I drink small amounts of caffeine now and then.
    why is caffeine different from other drugs? decaffeniated tea would be a small amount, caffeinated would not.

As for the sex thing, I think a person with the mindset to want to embrace Straight Edge has to make up his or her own mind. I personally wanna be friends with someone at least before sleeping with them.
    so how does sex relate to straight edge?

There seem to be a lot of kids who take the lyrics from "Out of Step" to be some sort of all encompassing doctrine, and think that "Don't Fuck" means no sex, period. Which is silly, really, since even in the really early days of Straight Edge, it was understood that not only is that not what it meant, but that there was an implied "I" at the start of every verse of that song.

In my mind, there's no direct correlation between straight edge and sex. There's, yet again, that "logical lifestyle extension" thing that goes on, like the whole vegetarianism thing. You notice a lot of vegetarian edge people, but that's not part of it, just a decision they made as an extension of core values. I think the attitudes about sex are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaf
    There seem to be a lot of kids who take the lyrics from "Out of Step" to be some sort of all encompassing doctrine, and think that "Don't Fuck" means no sex, period. Which is silly, really, since even in the really early days of Straight Edge, it was understood that not only is that not what it meant, but that there was an implied "I" at the start of every verse of that song.
    It was not understood at all, which is why there were so many articles about it and why the song was re-recorded.

In my mind, there's no direct correlation between straight edge and sex. There's, yet again, that "logical lifestyle extension" thing that goes on, like the whole vegetarianism thing. You notice a lot of vegetarian edge people, but that's not part of it, just a decision they made as an extension of core values. I think the attitudes about sex are the same.
    How is it an extension of the core values? This statement is a massive stretch. The attitudes about sex tend to be kids who took 1 song that a lot of them have never heard literally and who are for the most part virgins and usually have weird sexual hangups and unhealthy views of sex and uses straight edge as an excuse.

and what about the caffeine part?

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    I believe caffeine is a drug and I avoid consuming ammounts of caffeine that are going to effect me. It's no big deal, there is tonnes of stuff out there that has no caffeine yet alot of people think avoiding caffeine would be realy difficult.

As for sex, I don't agree with sleeping with strangers or having like one night stands. I don't feel this is part of straight edge but I see it as a matter fo self respect. Nobody should be going around sleeping with random people, atleast get to know them a bit before getting involved with things like that.

Thumbs up

thank you for everyones opinions on here. i appreciate the help..

idk

i dont know about caffeen but i beleive that the sex thing applies only in terms of one night stands
    if you know the person and you are in a deep relationship then i dont think it matters

Caffeines a drug so i avoid it, and I'm an avid tea drinker! I drink decaf or herbal teas.

Sex I've never been one to sleep around, but don't see it as an issue associated with edge.

I think no promiscuous sex is a core part of edge. I think promiscuous sex can become like drugs, in that it takes over the lives of weak-minded individuals and blinds the person to how what they're doing is harming people. It can be destructive to oneself, not to mention the emotional damage it does to others.
    The way I see it, when punk rock first started they were still in the whole "sex, drugs, and rock & roll" mindset, and straight-edge dropped that attitude- the edgers didn't do drugs, they played hardcore punk, losing the rock designation (and eventually even the punk), and they didn't obsess over having as much mindless sex as they possibly could.
    Caffiene, not so much, for a few reasons. Caffiene, while you can get addicted to it, isn't as mentally addictive as drugs, alcohol, and sex. People don't base their lives around the consumption of caffiene. Sure, it's a drug, sure it's addictive, and sure it's harmful in large amounts, but it's not going to destroy your life other people's lives.
    Love of this country is based on nothing but the fear of living somewhere worse/And gratitude shouldn't be the reaction to someone else being slaughtered first!-
    Aus-Rotten- The Dying and The Dead

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    Caffiene, not so much, for a few reasons. Caffiene, while you can get addicted to it, isn't as mentally addictive as drugs, alcohol, and sex. People don't base their lives around the consumption of caffiene. Sure, it's a drug, sure it's addictive, and sure it's harmful in large amounts, but it's not going to destroy your life other people's lives.
    But some people only drink alcohol in very small ammounts and it is pretty harmless. Some people smoke some weed maybe every now and again, that isn't so extreme and isn't life ruining. So why is it OK to consume a little caffiene but absolutely no alcohol or drugs at all? Caffeine is a drug aswell remember.

Like 98% of people I know drink things with caffeine in it every single day, its just an everyday thing to them, so because the effects aren't as obvious as someone drinking alcohol everyday what your saying is that people dont base their lives around the consumption of caffeine but if they were drinking alcohol everyday they would be basing their life around alcohol.

You don't seem to realise that caffeine is not recognised for it infact being a very addictive drug, but because anyone and everyone can buy and consume as much as they want day to day it isn't noticed at all. There was a site posted up by Dusty that told you some interesting facts, I will see if I can find the link.
    Last edited by D1988; 05-09-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    caffeine's a drug, so I avoid it in amounts that can effect me like any other drug.

I don't think sex really matters in terms of straight edge.
    ok so no alcohol but some caffeine?

and ya read the lyrics of minor threat's straight edge again...
    sex is a part of straight edge. the ORIGINAL thing was no alcohol, drugs, smoking, and promiscuous sex.

Quote Originally Posted by truetilldeath_xxx
    ok so no alcohol but some caffeine?

and ya read the lyrics of minor threat's straight edge again...
    sex is a part of straight edge. the ORIGINAL thing was no alcohol, drugs, smoking, and promiscuous sex.
    The song straight edge by minor threat makes no mention of sex at all, perhaps you should be the one to read the lyrics again. And for the record minor threat also never mentioned the word promiscuous, you aren't really coming across as very smart here i suggest you educate yourself before you try to educate others.

Oh and the amount of caffeine we are talking about is so minimal it would be comparable to the alcohol found in soy sauce or the effect mouthwash has on a person. And straightedge people with any sense wouldn't avoid soy sauce or mouthwash, so its not a case of saying no alcohol and some caffeine its a case of looking at it with a clear logical state of mind. If someone wants to avoid soy sauce then fine but there reasons to do so shouldn't be based on the minute levels of alcohol in it, caffeine in the doses found in coffee, tea and soda are enough to effect the body, the minimal amount of caffeine in chocolate really isn't, to consume enough to get an effect you would have to eat more than enough to make you sick, the same goes with soy sauce. You should try and look at things realistically.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Thread Information