Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Things Core

X-Over-O

All Things Core

Well we all love hardcore. But what kinds of hardcore in specific?

My favourites are of course old school hardcore and hardcore punk. But I also love the newer metalcore stuff, from such bands as

I Killed The Prom Queen
    Parkway Drive
    The Agony Scene
    Still Remains
    Bleeding Through

Those are my favourites. I also love anything pre-hardcore and post-harcore (typically screamo, or emoviolence) and emocore. My post-hardcore favourite include

Aiden
    Alexisonfire
    Underoath

etc. All good stuff.

But of course, the elite hardcore punk comes down to Minor Threat and the likes!

Over to you?

Registered User xGloryCityDisasterx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Over-O
    Well we all love hardcore. But what kinds of hardcore in specific?

My favourites are of course old school hardcore and hardcore punk. But I also love the newer metalcore stuff, from such bands as

I Killed The Prom Queen
    Parkway Drive
    The Agony Scene
    Still Remains
    Bleeding Through

Those are my favourites. I also love anything pre-hardcore and post-harcore (typically screamo, or emoviolence) and emocore. My post-hardcore favourite include

Aiden
    Alexisonfire
    Underoath

etc. All good stuff.

But of course, the elite hardcore punk comes down to Minor Threat and the likes!

Over to you?
    I like the 80's hardcore scene the most but I also like Aiden, Underoath, Norma Jean, and Zombies at my neighbors. Quick questions: was the original term of hardcore for the hardcore punk bands or the hardcore/metal-ish bands?
    my choice, my voice

Quote Originally Posted by xGloryCityDisasterx
    I like the 80's hardcore scene the most but I also like Aiden, Underoath, Norma Jean, and Zombies at my neighbors. Quick questions: was the original term of hardcore for the hardcore punk bands or the hardcore/metal-ish bands?
    hardcore metal crossovers came much later down the line, as hardcore spawned it came about as something to set itself aside from the punk scene at that time and became a unique style of music in its own right. That was early eighties and any metal influence didn't really become prominant until the 90's.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    hardcore metal crossovers came much later down the line, as hardcore spawned it came about as something to set itself aside from the punk scene at that time and became a unique style of music in its own right. That was early eighties and any metal influence didn't really become prominant until the 90's.
    it started with Judge and Slapshot in the late 80s though.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    it started with Judge and Slapshot in the late 80s though.
    there were also bands like cro mags and soia which showed evidence of metal influence but the 90's saw bands sound a lot more metal, bands like judge and slapshot were further removed from metal to the point that metal wasn't easily descriptive of their sound, which in my opinion is a fairly good thing as the line between metal and hardcore did tend to get somewhat blured later on.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

there were also bands like cro mags and soia which showed evidence of metal influence but the 90's saw bands sound a lot more metal, bands like judge and slapshot were further removed from metal to the point that metal wasn't easily descriptive of their sound, which in my opinion is a fairly good thing as the line between metal and hardcore did tend to get somewhat blured later on.
    it's the start of the guitar solo man....

Registered User xGloryCityDisasterx's Avatar
    thanks
    my choice, my voice

hmmm I'm not sure, I'm gonna say darker hardcore? i donno the exact name. Here are some bands i greatly enjoy:

Envy (Epic japanese hardcore/screamo and post rock-y)
    Catharsis (amazing, thats it)
    His Hero is Gone (Crusty, crushing, dark)
    Fall of Efrafa (epic, crusty, with a cello)

I'm also a fan of japanese hardcore:
    Gudon
    Gauze
    G.I.S.M
    Paintbox
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

Quote Originally Posted by xGriffox
    hmmm I'm not sure, I'm gonna say darker hardcore? i donno the exact name. Here are some bands i greatly enjoy:

Envy (Epic japanese hardcore/screamo and post rock-y)
    Catharsis (amazing, thats it)
    His Hero is Gone (Crusty, crushing, dark)
    Fall of Efrafa (epic, crusty, with a cello)

I'm also a fan of japanese hardcore:
    Gudon
    Gauze
    G.I.S.M
    Paintbox
    you have a weird concept of what hardcore is.

you have a weird concept of what hardcore is.
    what can i say, hardcore is a broad genre.

I'm into all the "classic" hardcore as well, gorilla biscuits, youth of today, minor threat and all that. I just like to keep variety in my music.
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

what can i say, hardcore is a broad genre.

I'm into all the "classic" hardcore as well, gorilla biscuits, youth of today, minor threat and all that. I just like to keep variety in my music.
    yeah but using terms like hardcore to describe his hero is gone and gb just isn't accurate. Variety is one thing, calling something that it's not is another.

yeah but using terms like hardcore to describe his hero is gone and gb just isn't accurate. Variety is one thing, calling something that it's not is another.
    well, what would you consider his hero is gone? or any of the other bands i listed? i mean i feel like all of them have a strong hardcore influence.

well, what would you consider his hero is gone? or any of the other bands i listed? i mean i feel like all of them have a strong hardcore influence.
    catharsis and hhig are metal bands. This is exactly the point when something sounds nothing like what comes before it or even what's around it, it ends up getting a label that doesn't fit. When people can describe a band as screamo/crust/hardcore/metal that's a pretty good sign that it's an attempt to fit something in with a bunch of things that it really doesn't fit into at all.
    What hardcore influence? breakdowns?

catharsis and hhig are metal bands. This is exactly the point when something sounds nothing like what comes before it or even what's around it, it ends up getting a label that doesn't fit. When people can describe a band as screamo/crust/hardcore/metal that's a pretty good sign that it's an attempt to fit something in with a bunch of things that it really doesn't fit into at all.
    What hardcore influence? breakdowns?
    well i don't hear any iron maiden style guitar solos in either of those bands' music, so maybe they aren't metal either.

I will admit they have a metal influence, but you can't see a hardcore influence either?

Also, where are the breakdowns in any minor threat?

well i don't hear any iron maiden style guitar solos in either of those bands' music, so maybe they aren't metal either.

I will admit they have a metal influence, but you can't see a hardcore influence either?

Also, where are the breakdowns in any minor threat?

influence doesn't make a genre though, sound does. What hardcore influence comes through in those bands? lyrics? vocals?

where did I say that breakdowns were the defining part of hardcore? I was using that as an example to try and understand what you think would be a strong hardcore influence in those bands.

Thread Information