Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Is it just me, or do some of you guys get pissed when someone claims edge and yet you just know for a fact they know nothing about it? I don't want to sound dumb or anything, but I've noticed an influx of edge people at my school, most of them being girls and christians. I have nothing against Christians or girls, but I've noticed one of my friends who is edge is in like a Christian bible study type deal and I think he kind of spread the word, which is fine, but it seems like everyone is claiming edge and yet they don't even know who Youth of Today or Minor Threat is, for example I was looking at people for my school's myspaces and I found this girl whose display name was "ex straightedge ex" and yet I looked at her music section and she didn't even have a hardcore band on it. I know its probably wrong to judge people like that, but I was just kind of ranting and seeing if anyone else kind of got upset over that. It just seems like a fad to them...

i hate poseurs

Oh it's not wrong to get pissed off! I think pretty much every one here feels the same way. It's honestly sickening to me.

Before I claimed to be edge I actually read up on it & talked to friends who were sxe about it.

It annoys me when people claim they're anything, without knowing anything about it.
    For myself
    For my friends
    For my family
    Forever

Oh this galls me to no end, but my trouble is with people who claim but don't even live the lifestyle. I had this trouble with my most recent girlfriend (who recently broke up with me quite unexpectedly and needlessly). I always make it a point of stating my sXe stance at the beginning of a relationship. I make it quite clear that I will not be with a drug user. Well, she claimed that she was "a straight edge," and wasn't into that sort of thing, despite some past behavior.

Well, despite the fact that she said she never would again and that she admired and respected my views, shortly before she broke up with me, she smoked pot again with a friend of hers. I was pretty furious, as she not only did something I simply find personally objectionable, but it was an act of disrespect and dishonesty. I told her that being straight-edge means NEVER doing that stuff. There is no "once-in-a-while," otherwise what's the meaning in it? I don't care if one thinks that it's not a big deal--don't go calling yourself sXe then. Very simple.

And when I told her this, she almost argued with me about it. Sure, tell the guy who hasn't touched a drug his whole life what is and is not sXe. Tell the guy that basically listens almost exclusively to punk when you yourself do not what the nuance of the label is. Revolting.

Now, my previous girlfriend didn't call herself sXe, but she still didn't use drugs. She didn't even drink...although now she apparently does, which bothers me (although it probably shouldn't). So I do have some rather painful experiences with false sXers, or basically people who seem clean but secretly are not.

Now as for people who don't know of the fact that it's a punk subculture, yeah, they really shouldn't use the term if they don't know what it means...but I personally will cut them some slack as long as they live a drug-free lifestyle. It would be prudent to educate them as to the origins of the term, however.

I feel you there.. they think its just drug free,like D.A.R.E. or some shit. Thats a problem with the Christian straight edge crowd, too many people thinking its something about being drug free fashion thing, but theres some who actually know what they are doing, like myself.
    You will be different, sometimes you'll feel like an outcast, but you'll never be alone. You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father and the father becomes the son.

xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xCAMIx
    I feel you there.. they think its just drug free,like D.A.R.E. or some shit. Thats a problem with the Christian straight edge crowd, too many people thinking its something about being drug free fashion thing, but theres some who actually know what they are doing, like myself.

No the problem with christian sXe people are that they are christians.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

Quote Originally Posted by stepinsideissue
    No the problem with christian sXe people are that they are christians.
    How can they be when they contradict their own religion?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    How can they be when they contradict their own religion?

That was the point I was trying to make.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

Quote Originally Posted by stepinsideissue
    That was the point I was trying to make.

See it sounded like you were suggesting the christianity was the fault when the straightedge belief is equally contradictive, there for being straightedge could also be the problem.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Oh I love the stupid people like that. We have one kid in our school, his name is alex, he is retarded cause he is "sXe" but he hangs out with all the stoners and smokes pot himself. Before I became edge, I hung out with the edgers in our school and alot of their philophosies (sorry i just murdered that word) were alot like mine. I was pretty "edge" ucated on the edge lifestyle.
    I think the little poser kids should either reform of fuck off!

My friend who was edge introduced me to it and took me to shows....its because of him that i am who I am...and yes..i hate the girls and /or guys that have now clue what sXe is and dont listen to the music....Its like on the frontpage of this site....if you havent stood in the middle of the pit...with you figer i the air screaming along to the lyrics...you dont know what its like..its the greatest feeling....
    _john_
    "real edge kids take pride in what they are about. dont be afraid to flaunt it, fight for it and live by it."

oh and xCAMIx...there is nothing wrong whith DARE shirts.......or at least not as far as i can see...please enlighten me?
    _john_
    "real edge kids take pride in what they are about. dont be afraid to flaunt it, fight for it and live by it."

this thread makes me get that bad song stuck in my head... the one by wilson phillips or something.
    I think I'm on to something here. This is pure snow, it's everywhere. Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?

Quote Originally Posted by XThe EdgeX
    oh and xCAMIx...there is nothing wrong whith DARE shirts.......or at least not as far as i can see...please enlighten me?
    _john_
    DARE causes kids to experiment with drugs. It's happened time and time again. I hate DARE. The government fucks everything up.

Thread Information