Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla Biscuits - August 22 In San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by xbustedx
    Well, while what your saying may be vaild. Whether or not they believed the words, it was a great expirence for me, because I (unlike a lot of people) didnt get to see them in the 80's. And just because they may not be Straight Edge anymore I enjoyed being able to go and see the music. And enjoyed the atmosphere that was there.
    but that's the entire point, you didn't see the gorilla biscuits. They ceased to be in the late 80s. By going to these reunions shows you're supporting the hypocracy that these all represent. The people in most of these bands aren't into hardcore anymore and haven't been for a very long time. The main reason they are getting together is to play music and make money. Music they don't believe in, which is what makes hardcore different from most other forms of music. It's more than just songs people sing, it's what people actually care about and feel. That's not the case with these reunions, that are doing it for the paycheck. so awesome that you got to see a band play for you with their heart not in it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    but that's the entire point, you didn't see the gorilla biscuits. They ceased to be in the late 80s. By going to these reunions shows you're supporting the hypocracy that these all represent. The people in most of these bands aren't into hardcore anymore and haven't been for a very long time. The main reason they are getting together is to play music and make money. Music they don't believe in, which is what makes hardcore different from most other forms of music. It's more than just songs people sing, it's what people actually care about and feel. That's not the case with these reunions, that are doing it for the paycheck. so awesome that you got to see a band play for you with their heart not in it.

I 100% agree with you.
    Power is nothing without control

Okay, but not every song they played was about Straight Edge, or Hardcore for that matter.
    Denial is a river in Egypt.

Okay, but not every song they played was about Straight Edge, or Hardcore for that matter.
    so then it was mostly covers? I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make with this statement. Are you trying to say that only songs ABOUT hardcore are hardcore?

so then it was mostly covers? I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make with this statement. Are you trying to say that only songs ABOUT hardcore are hardcore?

No, I'm a little confused. It seems like the point you are trying to make is, that they shouldnt be playing anymore and nobody should go see them, because when they sing about Straight Edge, they dont meant it....is that right?

No, I'm a little confused. It seems like the point you are trying to make is, that they shouldnt be playing anymore and nobody should go see them, because when they sing about Straight Edge, they dont meant it....is that right?
    That's part of it. but it's the entire package. The main point being that to them they're just songs. They don't believe in the words behind them, so why do it? If it's not a representation of what you believe and who you are, then why would you do those songs? Only way you can is if they really are just songs to you and no longer what made them real.

so did if feel like they were pretending to care about the scene? Did you feel ashamed of them because you once belived the same things? Did it feel like music was only work to them? Didn't you question why they were playing for you if their heart wasn't in it? What about turning their backs and being out of touch, don't you think they are essentially spoiling memories of the way things were?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    so did if feel like they were pretending to care about the scene? Did you feel ashamed of them because you once belived the same things? Did it feel like music was only work to them? Didn't you question why they were playing for you if their heart wasn't in it? What about turning their backs and being out of touch, don't you think they are essentially spoiling memories of the way things were?
    THATS MY POINT! I DONT HAVE ANY MEMORIES OF THE WAY THINGS WERE. How am I suppose to dis-credit them and dis-credit their music and whether or not they mean it if I was never there. That sounds pretty judgemental to me.

THATS MY POINT! I DONT HAVE ANY MEMORIES OF THE WAY THINGS WERE.
    You appear to have left your caps lock on for this. The point is the band clearly spoke out against bands spoiling memories of the way things were and against playing for a quick buck when their heart isn't in it. It seems they have become the thing they focussed against in their lyrics. This isn't about your memories its about how these kind of reunion shows are rather contrary to how hardcore works, it seems more like cashing in on how well they were received based on what they did nearly 20 years ago, those records are essentially "memories of the way things were". When a band comes back and sings those songs and no longer conveys the meanings of those songs in how they live and feel then it weakens and takes away what made those songs mean so much in the first place. By going to see a reunion show you will still have no memories of the way things were and further more you will have your impression of the band tainted by the fact theres a bunch of guys preforming and singing things they no longer believe or do. Its especially hard when they sing out against acts they are doing right in that moment.

How am I suppose to dis-credit them and dis-credit their music and whether or not they mean it if I was never there. That sounds pretty judgemental to me.

Whats wrong with judging people on their actions and on the things they say/sing? How are you suppose to discredit them? By looking at what they are singing about and what they are doing and how one contradicts the other, its got nothing to do with being there. If i sing about how singing about stuff you no longer believe is wrong and doing it just for money is wrong and make declarations of how important keeping to that is and then years later i go against all that and sing those same songs are you really going to have a problem judging me on that? I think you need to take a look at this and make a judgement, judging people on their actions is not a bad thing.

wow kid...sounds like you have a crush. Too bad he's married huh?

Wow your oldschool. How old are you, again? And dont say your 21, because your myspace tells me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by xdoylex
    Wow your oldschool. How old are you, again? And dont say your 21, because your myspace tells me otherwise.

First of all, its spelt YOU'RE. Second of all, it did sound like he had a bit of a crush.

Quote Originally Posted by xdoylex

I'm a little confused on what you mean by that first part.

and I'm actually 13.

I'm a little confused on what you mean by that first part.

and I'm actually 13.

are you actually 13 or is that sarcasm...its hard to tell on a computer.
    Later Days

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman004
    are you actually 13 or is that sarcasm...its hard to tell on a computer.

I am actually 13.

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    First of all, its spelt YOU'RE. Second of all, it did sound like he had a bit of a crush.

I thought we all agreed nothing should be brought down to grammar usage and mechanics unless you are so incomprehnsibly that you aren't understood. For example, if your name is xBILLYx or hxcsxe.

However I would agree with the fact that he was definately hitting on Dusty via forum.

Thread Information