Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaf View Post
    He actually did name drop a few Edge bands a couple weeks ago, specifically he mentioned Minor Threat, Youth of Today and Have Heart. While that's far from a comprehensive list we have to remember he mentioned three bands most wrestling fans have never heard of on the air in front of thousands of people, and he didn't HAVE to do that. I got the impression it was his idea to show some love and respect to hardcore during that promo, and that he meant it.
    if he wanted to show love and respect to straight edge and hardcore, he'd use another gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    if he wanted to show love and respect to straight edge and hardcore, he'd use another gimmick.
    I agree. If the WWE tells him to, he becomes the "heel" wrestler and starts waving around the "I'm sXe I'm better" flag. If he really wanted to show serious positivity toward sXe, he wouldn't let that wouldn't happen. It just makes an ass image out of sXers. And if you're one of those people who doesn't routinely watch wrestling but may stay on it a few minutes when channel-flipping, that's not a good representation to stick with you.

To be fair to the guy, if he actually refused to do a gimmick, then he'd likely either get jobbed out by Vince McMahon or fired. The wrestling business is ruthless, and wrestlers who get there know that it's a rare opportunity and that you go with what you're told to do. I once spoke to a pro wrestler who was having a WWE tryout, and he said that he'd dress in women's clothes and portray a transvestite if that was the gimmick given to him because it's such a good job opportunity to be in the WWE.

In short, Punk made his name using his sXe lifestyle as a gimmick on the indies and obviously it's worked for him after advancing it somewhat in the WWE. Changing the gimmick that has worked for him since he got into the business would be foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by xAdamSx View Post
    To be fair to the guy, if he actually refused to do a gimmick, then he'd likely either get jobbed out by Vince McMahon or fired. The wrestling business is ruthless, and wrestlers who get there know that it's a rare opportunity and that you go with what you're told to do. I once spoke to a pro wrestler who was having a WWE tryout, and he said that he'd dress in women's clothes and portray a transvestite if that was the gimmick given to him because it's such a good job opportunity to be in the WWE.

In short, Punk made his name using his sXe lifestyle as a gimmick on the indies and obviously it's worked for him after advancing it somewhat in the WWE. Changing the gimmick that has worked for him since he got into the business would be foolish.
    so wrestlers have never changed gimmicks?

Quote Originally Posted by xAdamSx View Post

Well theres integrity for you!!!
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

so wrestlers have never changed gimmicks?
    A lot of them change gimmicks all the time - usually when they are stuck in a dead end gimmick that's not advancing their career. Phil Brooks is straight edge in real life and has naturally always used it as his gimmick, ever since he first started in the pro wrestling business. It's worked for him so far. He's even been World Champion. He's drawing lots of ratings and "heat" (he gets a lot of boos as a heel or villain persona), and for the WWE that means dollar signs. So they probably won't be having him change his gimmick anytime soon, for better or worse. It's just going over too well. People love to hate CM Punk right about now.

That's to say nothing of how people might come to view straight edge or people who adhere to the doctrine but aren't militant or cultlike, like the character Phil Brooks is portraying, but the WWE hasn't exactly had a good track record of accommodating groups who complain, especially fringe groups. His current gimmick about forming a stable or a following is just a re hashed version of what the Undertaker did in the late 90's with his Ministry of Darkness, which was a Satanic cult of sorts. The WWE got a lot of backlash both from Christians and neo pagans for those portrayals back in the day, but the gimmick was kept for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaf View Post
    A lot of them change gimmicks all the time - usually when they are stuck in a dead end gimmick that's not advancing their career. Phil Brooks is straight edge in real life and has naturally always used it as his gimmick, ever since he first started in the pro wrestling business. It's worked for him so far. He's even been World Champion. He's drawing lots of ratings and "heat" (he gets a lot of boos as a heel or villain persona), and for the WWE that means dollar signs. So they probably won't be having him change his gimmick anytime soon, for better or worse. It's just going over too well. People love to hate CM Punk right about now.

That's to say nothing of how people might come to view straight edge or people who adhere to the doctrine but aren't militant or cultlike, like the character Phil Brooks is portraying, but the WWE hasn't exactly had a good track record of accommodating groups who complain, especially fringe groups. His current gimmick about forming a stable or a following is just a re hashed version of what the Undertaker did in the late 90's with his Ministry of Darkness, which was a Satanic cult of sorts. The WWE got a lot of backlash both from Christians and neo pagans for those portrayals back in the day, but the gimmick was kept for over a year.
    So what does any of this have to do with the fact that the guy is just using it for money and not doing any good for anyone who actually is straight edge? best thing that dude could do at this point is to drink a beer on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone knew about CM Punk, the wrestler who is sxe? He has been wrestling on the independent circuits for a while and just debuted with ECW on Sci-Fi Network. (Tuesdays at 10 PM) A wrestler being edge sounds crazy with all the drugs and steroids, but Punk apparently is legit.
    CM Punk is awsome. He is one of my favorited wrestlers(Not due to him only being SE). Him and his in ring and mic skills are some for the best I seen in a long time. And I loved the heel Punk he is god on the mic.

CM Punk is the one that got me in to Straight Edge. I have never want it drink or do drugs.
    I am a big wrestling fan and CM Punk is the first ever straight edge world world champion. And I find out me and the straight edge lifestyle are the same.

which is fine, but it still comes down to a gimmick and a way to market himself, especially with lines like "i'm straight edge so that means I'm better than you", and that shit is wack.
    Due to CM Punk I find you what Straight Edge was and is about. It is the best way for him to be heel is to be himself to a point and just be a ass with it.

linsee
    Okay, so I'll totally admit I've been watching wrestling for the past 6 months or so. That being said, I think CM Punk is a good wrestler, and I'm entertained by him.
    As far as the straight edge jesus stuff, I'm not a fan of that. I haven't seen any of that until I youtube'd it. Clearly wrestling takes aspects of people and exaggerates them, hence what they did with being straight edge for him. I'm glad that's died down, because I don't think portraying straight edge in that way is cool, let alone a good thing.
    He's an entertainer, bottom line. Knowing he's also straight edge should just be a little extra fact, and not exploited like it has been.

Thread Information