Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 140

Thread: music and edge

  1. #46
    X-Over-O
    Guest
    Maybe because I'm the only Edge person around...

    Okay. I'm not going to stress my opinion and point of view any longer... I think maybe it's just something I'm saying because of the nature of my scene and everything, that you may never understand until you experience this particular scene for yourself. And why don't I stand up for myself? Think about it... 1 or 2 edge kids versus... Everyone else at the show... Not a good outcome.

  2. #47
    from the deep south.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    359
    I see, well I am glad I dont live in North Queensland. Come down to Brisbane or Byron for some good shows.

  3. #48
    X-Over-O
    Guest
    Hey, the shows are great. But the people are fucked.

  4. #49
    X-Over-O
    Guest
    I have been doing some thinking, and I have found that I must continue my argument to prove my point, without the arguing part.

    My point is, it seems like what you guys are saying is that to be Edge or Hardcore or whatever, you must listen to ONLY hardcore and as little as anything else as possible?

    Why so... I can't describe it? There are so many musical flavours to enjoy. The lifestyle you live really shouldn't dictate which bands and genres you can or cannot listen to. My opinion is that you can listen to whatever you want... So long as you still love hardcore and Edge, actively participating in that scene. Just because an Edge kid sits there with his iPod listening to Cradle of Filth, it doesn't mean he isn't edge. This is the message I'm hearing here... But regardless of what you say, I'll still be listening to whatever I want, and still calling myself Edge because I have enough guts to hop around at a hardcore show as the only Edge kid in my town.

  5. #50
    xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portage, In.
    Posts
    2,988
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Over-O
    I have been doing some thinking, and I have found that I must continue my argument to prove my point, without the arguing part.

    My point is, it seems like what you guys are saying is that to be Edge or Hardcore or whatever, you must listen to ONLY hardcore and as little as anything else as possible?

    Why so... I can't describe it? There are so many musical flavours to enjoy. The lifestyle you live really shouldn't dictate which bands and genres you can or cannot listen to. My opinion is that you can listen to whatever you want... So long as you still love hardcore and Edge, actively participating in that scene. Just because an Edge kid sits there with his iPod listening to Cradle of Filth, it doesn't mean he isn't edge. This is the message I'm hearing here... But regardless of what you say, I'll still be listening to whatever I want, and still calling myself Edge because I have enough guts to hop around at a hardcore show as the only Edge kid in my town.

    You can be involved in hardcore and the hardcore music scene with out being straight edge. But to be straight edge you must be a part of the hardcore music scene seeing as how straight edge started in the hardcore music scene. No one as far as I recall ever said you have listen to nothing but hardcore. I'm sure everyone here has other listening tastes besides just hardcore. I know I do. But you do have to listen to it and supoort the bands and go to the shows to be straight edge.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

    I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

    The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

  6. #51
    from the deep south.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Over-O
    I have been doing some thinking, and I have found that I must continue my argument to prove my point, without the arguing part.

    My point is, it seems like what you guys are saying is that to be Edge or Hardcore or whatever, you must listen to ONLY hardcore and as little as anything else as possible?

    Why so... I can't describe it? There are so many musical flavours to enjoy. The lifestyle you live really shouldn't dictate which bands and genres you can or cannot listen to. My opinion is that you can listen to whatever you want... So long as you still love hardcore and Edge, actively participating in that scene. Just because an Edge kid sits there with his iPod listening to Cradle of Filth, it doesn't mean he isn't edge. This is the message I'm hearing here... But regardless of what you say, I'll still be listening to whatever I want, and still calling myself Edge because I have enough guts to hop around at a hardcore show as the only Edge kid in my town.
    No one ever said that you have to only listen to hardcore or straight edge bands... Someone who only listened to nothing but that would be pretty boring. You have to be a part of hardcore, love hardcore and be straight edge because of hardcore. You just cant be straight edge if you dont like hardcore and arent a part of it.

  7. #52
    xXx
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    oh you know... here.
    Posts
    5
    about the hardcore music scene.... stuff.

    WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT!?
    Straight edge can mean different things to different people right?
    I've heard of people who put things into their own "personal" edge. Such as cutting, masturbating, swearing.. ect. Straight edge is about not participating in things that could damage your life in drastic ways, its about proving that you don't need to chemically enhance your brain to have fun. Its about making decisions that are smart, and right. About being CLEAN. Not the music. I don't listen to hardcore music. I'm not hardcore in the least. I'm here because I believe that I don't have to get high or drunk to be me, and because I believe that I'm making a good decision by not participating in these things.

    I can be edge without being hardcore.
    Cant I?

  8. #53
    xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portage, In.
    Posts
    2,988
    Quote Originally Posted by FXXXing_Hannah
    about the hardcore music scene.... stuff.

    WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT!?
    Straight edge can mean different things to different people right?
    I've heard of people who put things into their own "personal" edge. Such as cutting, masturbating, swearing.. ect. Straight edge is about not participating in things that could damage your life in drastic ways, its about proving that you don't need to chemically enhance your brain to have fun. Its about making decisions that are smart, and right. About being CLEAN. Not the music. I don't listen to hardcore music. I'm not hardcore in the least. I'm here because I believe that I don't have to get high or drunk to be me, and because I believe that I'm making a good decision by not participating in these things.

    I can be edge without being hardcore.
    Cant I?

    You can't be edge with out hardcore. Thats what every one has been saying. And straight edge is straight edge. Not drinking not doing drugs and hardcore music. Nothing more nothing less. If people add those other things to thier lives thats all great and good but it is no way shape or form an aspect of straight edge. The same thing with the whole veganism topic. Alot of times it goes side by side with straight edge but the two are quite separate.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

    I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

    The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

  9. #54
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,366
    Quote Originally Posted by FXXXing_Hannah
    about the hardcore music scene.... stuff.

    WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT!?
    Straight edge can mean different things to different people right?
    I've heard of people who put things into their own "personal" edge. Such as cutting, masturbating, swearing.. ect. Straight edge is about not participating in things that could damage your life in drastic ways, its about proving that you don't need to chemically enhance your brain to have fun. Its about making decisions that are smart, and right. About being CLEAN. Not the music. I don't listen to hardcore music. I'm not hardcore in the least. I'm here because I believe that I don't have to get high or drunk to be me, and because I believe that I'm making a good decision by not participating in these things.

    I can be edge without being hardcore.
    Cant I?
    what defines straight edge and makes it unique from every other drug free movement throughout history?

  10. #55
    Registered User hardcoretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veracruz, Mexico.
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    what defines straight edge and makes it unique from every other drug free movement throughout history?
    Hardcore.
    Cuandon tengas ideales x los cuales luchar, te darás cuenta que no debes callar.

  11. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Furniture City USA, Michigan
    Posts
    57

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    Why does it need to grow outside of hardcore? If it did spread to country or hiphop or other forms of rock that'd be awesome, but it would also be something new and not straight edge.
    "Beliefs must evolve or face extinction." (J.R. Haynes, PxD)

    I think it needs to grow outside of hardcore so anyone can benefit from being straight-edge.

    What I'm getting from a lot of posts, not only this thread but others, is that sXe is a self-sustaining culture of conscious emptiness. It seems to be more about reputation and trends than an actual lifestyle, with the X tattoos on the hands. Which is inconsistent with the sole purpose of "sXe."

    Wikipedia definition:
    Straight edge (also known as sXe, and xXx) refers to a lifestyle, a personal commitment, a philosophy, and a subculture that is closely associated with hardcore punk music

    How close is "closely related?" I think all underground music is closely related to hardcore punk because all underground music evolved from the "hardcore punk" lifestyle of veering from the mainstream media and becoming a self supporting musical genre.

    I don't think anyone here has became "sXe" listening to music on the radio or television.

    Anyone who supports the underground musical subculture because of a "Personal Commitment" is practicing the "sXe" lifestyle. Period. If you don't agree with this statement your claim to edge is false.

    "sXe" is about developing a healthy and active lifestyle based around music by abstaining from addictive and mind altering substances in order to support the music, the artists of the music, it's all about the music.

    Sure you can have a drug free and healthy lifestyle and buy $20 albums from BestBuy but you aren't gaining any connection with that music culture nor supporting the musical talent, more or less you are supporting the whole musical industry which is based solely around empty talent and capitalism.
    Last edited by BornAgainVirginDrugs; 06-16-2007 at 03:46 PM.

  12. #57
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    "Beliefs must evolve or face extinction." (J.R. Haynes, PxD)

    I think it needs to grow outside of hardcore so anyone can benefit from being straight-edge.
    Why can't they benifit from being drug free and leave straightedge in tack. I mean theres nothing wrong with taking influence from straightedge but stripping it down and still calling it the same thing isn't very imaginative

    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    What I'm getting from a lot of posts, not only this thread but others, is that sXe is a self-sustaining culture of conscious emptiness. It seems to be more about reputation and trends than an actual lifestyle, with the X tattoos on the hands. Which is inconsistent with the sole purpose of "sXe."
    Where are you getting concious emptiness from? Where are you getting it being all about reputation and how is it not about lifestyle. People are actively promoting the lifestyle of being straightedge which includes be active within hardcore and supporting a great genre that enbales everyone involved to be equals and contribute. I think that shows a great deal of substance instead of just saying you are straightedge and not actually being a part of what it is and the movement that surrounds it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    Wikipedia definition:
    Straight edge (also known as sXe, and xXx) refers to a lifestyle, a personal commitment, a philosophy, and a subculture that is closely associated with hardcore punk music
    wikipedia is a very unreliable source and shouldn't be taken as fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    How close is "closely related?" I think all underground music is closely related to hardcore punk because all underground music evolved from the "hardcore punk" lifestyle of veering from the mainstream media and becoming a self supporting musical genre.
    Not all underground music evolved from hardcore punk at all and for the record hardcore was more of a reaction to punk music. Lots of things veer from the mainstream but they are still quite different from the hardcore approach. There are enough differences to make a distinguishable difference in terms, sharing some simularities doesn't make it the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    I don't think anyone here has became "sXe" listening to music on the radio or television.
    We all start somewhere, a lot of people started listening to mainstream music and found more bands through that and eventually stumbled upon hardcore. I mean if all underground music came from punk then essentially it all came from mainstream music, but thats a nonsensical stretch really.

    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    Anyone who supports the underground musical subculture because of a "Personal Commitment" is practicing the "sXe" lifestyle. Period. If you don't agree with this statement your claim to edge is false.
    How is it false? And how can you say its false? How is techno promoting straightedge, what links to the history of straightedge are there? It really is just a huge stretch especially with the rich history hardcore provides for straightedge which you are quick to dissolve by saying anyone is straightedge without ever picking up a straightedge record or going to a straightedge show.

    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    "sXe" is about developing a healthy and active lifestyle based around music by abstaining from addictive and mind altering substances in order to support the music, the artists of the music, it's all about the music.
    Straightedge is all about a bunch of hardcore kids not doing drugs and participating in hardcore. Healthy and active lifestyle is very vauge, its all about hardcore but not just any music. Theres no reason that you have put forward that it should be representative of any other music, this isn't to say we should only listen to hardcore but we should appreciate that straightedge is a movement born from hardcore and that it really doesn't transcend in its complete manifestation to other genres. If you are intent in dropping elements in order to make it a broader term to cover more but essentially mean less then you are missing the point of underground and the ethics involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainVirginDrugs
    Sure you can have a drug free and healthy lifestyle and buy $20 albums from BestBuy but you aren't gaining any connection with that music culture nor supporting the musical talent, more or less you are supporting the whole musical industry which is based solely around empty talent and capitalism.
    Ahh, so you are against capatalism? Is anyone in the mainstream automatically talentless? But alas you talk about connection, you really won't get a connection to straightedge going to underground raves or listening to underground jazz.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  13. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Furniture City USA, Michigan
    Posts
    57

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Why can't they benifit from being drug free and leave straightedge in tack. I mean theres nothing wrong with taking influence from straightedge but stripping it down and still calling it the same thing isn't very imaginative
    How would a person benefitting from the sXe philosphy not be leaving straight edge intact? From your description of "stripping it down" you seem to be referring to anyone upholding straight edge ideals with a negative outlook. Straight edge is still the same thing whether or not it's affiliated strictly to hardcore. I don't understand why you would fail to support anyone who decided to be straight edge, that's a major turn off and a lack of support. Since when was straight edge about being musically fascist?

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Where are you getting concious emptiness from? Where are you getting it being all about reputation and how is it not about lifestyle. People are actively promoting the lifestyle of being straightedge which includes be active within hardcore and supporting a great genre that enbales everyone involved to be equals and contribute. I think that shows a great deal of substance instead of just saying you are straightedge and not actually being a part of what it is and the movement that surrounds it.
    Anything is easier said than done and collectively it's always much easier. Straight Edge is not a musical genre and I don't see why you continue to refer to it as one. A musical genre is desrcibed by certain traits and musical techniques, not the philsophy behind the indiviuals creating that music. And if the straight edge scene is litered with people who share your fascist outlook, how can it enable everyone to be involved as equals like you claim? Would a person actively participating in a mosh pit under the influence of alcohol be regaurded as an "equal?" I think not.

    Once again, there is no "movement" to straight edge, you can fantasize all day about how you are going to change the the world, by being in a mosh pit, but it's not going to happen. Period. Straight Edge is a lifestyle and personal belief, nothing more. It's not a political party or collective attendance of fascist conciousness, it's a belief system for one's beneficial purposes. The only movement is in one's life.

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    wikipedia is a very unreliable source and shouldn't be taken as fact.
    Please explain to me how Wikipedia is a "very unreliable source?" It's an online encyclopedia, sir, and encyclopedias document historical events if you hadn't noticed. Please type in any historical event you can recollect into Wikipedia and prove any of it's content is unfactual. More directly, prove to me how anything Wikipedia calims about edge is false.

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Not all underground music evolved from hardcore punk at all and for the record hardcore was more of a reaction to punk music. Lots of things veer from the mainstream but they are still quite different from the hardcore approach. There are enough differences to make a distinguishable difference in terms, sharing some simularities doesn't make it the same.
    No, but since this is a straight edge forum, I had assumed that the members would realize I am talking about underground music with participants claiming edge. I don't know of underground hip-hop participants claiming straight edge, so naturally, I wouldn't be talking of that genre of underground. I am taking about the genres of underground music that have shared the same venues as even bands that are hardcore. I'm not talking about all underground music. I'm sorry I was too vague for you, I'll remember not to make that mistake again. And I never said it evolved from hardcore punk (which I was referring to the time of the origin of punk when I called it hardcore, because in comparison to other music at the time, it truly was "hardcore."), I said it's closely related to it. And the underground music scene did evolve punk which evolved from the British Invasion which evolved from Skiffle bands which envolved from early 1920's rock and Nightclub jazz, and Vise Versa. We can even say Slayer has evolved from The Beatles, I don't care how you look at, and I'm not really too concerned about the chornological order of the evolution of underground music, I'm more concerned about straight edge and understanding why it can not stray from "Hardcore," in your opinion. And when I was talking about the relationship of the underground rock music scene to the "Punk" or "Hardcore Punk" scence I was talking about both of them being a self sustaining subculture of music. Bottom line.

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    We all start somewhere, a lot of people started listening to mainstream music and found more bands through that and eventually stumbled upon hardcore. I mean if all underground music came from punk then essentially it all came from mainstream music, but thats a nonsensical stretch really.
    Musically, yes. Straight Edge, no. No-one initially becomes straight edge listening Nickelback. I never said "all underground came from punk" I said it's closely related in the fact it does not rely on agents and big record labels to guide them through their music career, because that's what defines "underground music," sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    How is it false? And how can you say its false? How is techno promoting straightedge, what links to the history of straightedge are there? It really is just a huge stretch especially with the rich history hardcore provides for straightedge which you are quick to dissolve by saying anyone is straightedge without ever picking up a straightedge record or going to a straightedge show.
    How can you claim edge if you don't believe in supporting the music and following through on a personal commitment of abstaince from substance abuse? Like I said, if you claim edge and neglect this belief as your own, you must be claiming edge for reputation purposes of some delusional kind. Having X tattoos doesn't make you straight edge, it's the philosphy behind it, not the symbol itself. Wearing an A surrounded by a circle on your t-shirt doesn't make you an anarchist, especially if you bought the t-shirt at a store and paid taxes on it.

    How does music in general promote straight edge? And how do all hardcore bands promote sXe? I think the lyrical content is decided by the lyricist and what they feel, as music is a form of art, and art is a form of personal expression. It's not the genre of music that promotes anything other than emotions. Hardcore can promote the use of drug use just as quickly as not.

    And I think it's a huge stretch for you to quickly discredit the direct support I (or anyone else) have given underground musical artists and the sobriety I have obtained under my own discretion.

    I'm edge, whether I've picked up a "straight edge" album or I've been to a "striaght edge show." And I don't need someone across internet telling me I'm not.

    And no, I have never been to an "edge show." I have gotten into shows without sporting the X on my hands or even taking a breathalizer test.

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Straightedge is all about a bunch of hardcore kids not doing drugs and participating in hardcore. Healthy and active lifestyle is very vauge, its all about hardcore but not just any music. Theres no reason that you have put forward that it should be representative of any other music, this isn't to say we should only listen to hardcore but we should appreciate that straightedge is a movement born from hardcore and that it really doesn't transcend in its complete manifestation to other genres. If you are intent in dropping elements in order to make it a broader term to cover more but essentially mean less then you are missing the point of underground and the ethics involved.
    "Beliefs must evolve or face extinction." Underground music whether it be, math, indie, grindcore, punk. metal or thrash, all share some elements with hardcore even if you fail to realize that, and that in itself is enough appreciation of harcore to represent edge. How are you going to preach to me about ethics of underground music? I have bought 12 albums in the past four months directly from the artists themselves, which is all my income will allow me. I don't download music either.

    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Ahh, so you are against capatalism? Is anyone in the mainstream automatically talentless? But alas you talk about connection, you really won't get a connection to straightedge going to underground raves or listening to underground jazz.
    I never said I was against capatilism, only imperialistic capatilism. Relapse Records has adpated a capatlist method of trade, without it they would surely fall. Mainstream music isn't based on talent, but record sales, and we all know this. System of a Down is an extremely talented musical act, and they are mainstream.

    But alas, you mis-interpret the context of my words. I never said a connection to straight edge, a connection to straight edge is within the individual and his/her bond with other edgers, not by going to a concert, connections and relationships in general are an upheld ideal in straight edge, and you can make connections and relationships with humans no matter what concert you go to. You can also buy records from merch tables at underground show, wcich is more connecting to the artists that , but you aren't going to connect with the musicians buying CDs from BestBuy.

    But alas, you also fail to realize those who are deaf can also be straight edge. But that's a whole new subject for you.

    I have decided that I don't need people across country telling me if I'm edge or not because I don't like their music, and for this reason, I am canceling my membership, and never coming back to the forums.
    Last edited by BornAgainVirginDrugs; 06-16-2007 at 08:49 PM.

  14. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Furniture City USA, Michigan
    Posts
    57
    Hey.
    Last edited by BornAgainVirginDrugs; 06-16-2007 at 11:11 PM.

  15. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Furniture City USA, Michigan
    Posts
    57
    It's a pretty big accusation to call all of you delusional, but in this day and age, it's a pretty safe generalization.

    To most of you it's a trend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. anyone like the oi! music?
    By madriz_sXe in forum Other
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 08:36 AM
  2. About the music.
    By xpatchxrojasx in forum Questions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 07:35 AM
  3. Is there a straight edge culture in the hardcore music scene?
    By c0urage_bReaker</3 in forum Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 09:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •