Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: music and edge

I like hXc, I listen to it and enjoy it but I find it pretty hard to find any real good hXc bands anymore. Around here we do get a lot of death metal bands and I have been to some hXc but its harder around here. I am always in a mosh pit no matter what show I am at (Except for Disturbed which I regret big time, I had someone with me who doesnt mosh) and its almost a god damn slap in the face to most bands if you dont mosh.

sXe is almost no different. If you havent been pushed, shoved, punched, tackled, and maybe even bled, you havent lived period. Pain is my high, I love it and cant get enough of it. A moshpit is like a warzone where you build a bond with people and you go out there and get it done.

The music is a huge part of the scene, not just the music but the shows and the activities. If you listen to sXe music then awesome but even if there isnt a sXe scene around you, go to some other shows, some hXc shows, death metal, heavy metal, just go and get in that pit.

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    which is to get the point across more bluntly. If you're into the music and there's no scene around you then yeah you've got a better idea of things than someone who's never listened to an edge band, but you still don't have a full understanding of it yet. That was said specifically to people who say shit like "hell yeah I'm straight edge, I love it, I've been edge forever! I fucking hate hardcore!" Who honestly have no idea what they're calling themselves and I still can't figure out why someone who hates hardcore would say that they were straight edge.
    Well, you know, I spend quite a bit of my life on IRC networks for a number of reasons and sometimes i meet people out there who pick up "x ... x"-framed nicknames. Most of them I asked if they were straight-edge answered that they were not. I questioned why then pick up such a nickname, since it labels you and makes others expect you to be responsible for that choice, folks answer "this is just a web thingy".

That's it.

I know quite a number of people personally who fairly believe to be programmers though they actually are not.

It happens everywhere, stupid people may go for anything just because there's some hype around it. The more intriguing the hype is, the more people think it's a cool thing to be related to. At least marginally.

Well,
    back to the original point.

Straight-edge is inseparable from hardcore music (which is the main component of hxc scene, any music scene in fact).

So, the problem you referred is just stupid people doing the same thing they do to anything in the world, but as far as we know there's no written statement of what straight edge is. This means some of us could agree that its okay for someone to be straight edge even though they hate hardcore. Well, I can't see any point in that. Since it was always out there - healthy lifestyle.

"Straight-edge means hardcore". Stupid people means stupid people.
    Now, let me ask you if there are talks among those who relate to your local hxc scene about straight-edge separated from hardcore? What are arguments of those people? How do they explain being straight-edge and hating hardcore?

Quote Originally Posted by crissXdravan
    If you listen to sXe music then awesome but even if there isnt a sXe scene around you, go to some other shows, some hXc shows, death metal, heavy metal, just go and get in that pit.
    Hell if I go to death metal or heavy metal show. I don't like the genres much, so why should I go to these shows only because there are no hxc ones???

Id rather put my headphones on and go skating than that.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrue till deathx

"Straight-edge means hardcore". Stupid people means stupid people.
    Now, let me ask you if there are talks among those who relate to your local hxc scene about straight-edge separated from hardcore? What are arguments of those people? How do they explain being straight-edge and hating hardcore?
    no, like most things this exists purely on the internet and by people who have no connection to what straight edge actually is. occasionally they will come here and try and talk about how it's expanded beyond hardcore but they never get very far and the argument falls apart really quickly.

which is to get the point across more bluntly. If you're into the music and there's no scene around you then yeah you've got a better idea of things than someone who's never listened to an edge band, but you still don't have a full understanding of it yet. That was said specifically to people who say shit like "hell yeah I'm straight edge, I love it, I've been edge forever! I fucking hate hardcore!" Who honestly have no idea what they're calling themselves and I still can't figure out why someone who hates hardcore would say that they were straight edge.
    because they are morons

From all what we discussed above, I dare to make one more attempt and try to answer your initial questions:

If you think that straight edge has "evolved" out of hardcore and become something else, what is it then?
    It is a fraud then. Straight-edge means hardcore. There's no straight-edge without hardcore music. If one thinks there is, he/she confuses it with healthy lifestyle and by calling themselves sxe they actually become poseurs in terms of general vocabulary.

What is this new version of straight edge and what does it mean?
    There is no new version of straight-edge.
    It means a wack hype. People supporting this pseudo straight-edge are unaware of what the "real" straight-edge means.

Is it just a bunch of beliefs?
    Yes, it is a bunch of wack beliefs that healthy life-style means straight-edge.

And if it is, then how is that any different from drug free and why/where/how did it turn into just beliefs?
    It turned into just beliefs when people decided it to be possible to separate straigh-edge and hardcore music.

--------
    First answers to questoins that can be used to compile sxe.com "Straight-edge & Frauds" F.A.Q. :D
    PS: Edited. Corrected some grammar mistakes. Hopefully, it's all correct now.
    Last edited by xCrucialDudex; 07-23-2006 at 04:55 AM.

we have never had a problem with this in our area....its always been, I f your sxe then you go to shows and then if your not and you go to them..thats fine also...but if youa re then you go to them...and its never a big debate about the music...we keep it simple, SXE,live for the music and have fun at the shows...thats what the shows are about...immersing yourself in the music and bonding with firends, making new ones and overall just Being free!
    _john_
    This Is Not A DebateXXXThis Is WAR!

Quote Originally Posted by XThe EdgeX
    we have never had a problem with this in our area....its always been, I f your sxe then you go to shows and then if your not and you go to them..thats fine also...but if youa re then you go to them...and its never a big debate about the music...we keep it simple, SXE,live for the music and have fun at the shows...thats what the shows are about...immersing yourself in the music and bonding with firends, making new ones and overall just Being free!
    _john_
    This Is Not A DebateXXXThis Is WAR!
    yeah but this isn't something you'll run into in public for the most part. the people you'd interact with at shows would be edge. these are people who's only connection to anything is the internet, they're not actually a part of anything.

sxe will always be hardcore..metal ska punk even pop rockers can be influenced by sxe but if they dont suport the hard core scene and the straight edge scene,then they are not straight edge.......its really kinda simple.......you can call yourself what ever you want .but its whats in your heart and in your soul that relly counts..and no i dont clame to be a straight edge...but i do like the idea and the help you give....

Quote Originally Posted by poison_down_thedrain
    sxe will always be hardcore..metal ska punk even pop rockers can be influenced by sxe but if they dont suport the hard core scene and the straight edge scene,then they are not straight edge.......its really kinda simple.......you can call yourself what ever you want .but its whats in your heart and in your soul that relly counts..and no i dont clame to be a straight edge...but i do like the idea and the help you give....
    clap clap clap

I don't understand "Straight Edge = Hardcore". Obviously, without Hardcore there is no sXe, but without sXe surely there would still be Hardcore, although a slightly less healthy Hardcore at that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorskVegan
    I don't understand "Straight Edge = Hardcore". Obviously, without Hardcore there is no sXe, but without sXe surely there would still be Hardcore, although a slightly less healthy Hardcore at that.

Yeah, who said there would be no hardcore without straightedge?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Yeah, who said there would be no hardcore without straightedge?
    The people who said sXe is hardcore. Unless I misread that and they meant hardcore as the adjective form of the noun...which I didn't know existed. I always thought it was lame when Heavy Metal fans say things like, "Oh, that's so heavy metal!"

Quote Originally Posted by NorskVegan
    The people who said sXe is hardcore. Unless I misread that and they meant hardcore as the adjective form of the noun...which I didn't know existed. I always thought it was lame when Heavy Metal fans say things like, "Oh, that's so heavy metal!"
    Sxe is hardcore as in not removable from hardcore, hardcore is not straightedge as in not solely made up of sxe and doesn't need to be straightedge at all. Pretty simple. Use the quote button dude, it makes things easier!
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Hmph...I find it a misleading phrase.

Thread Information