Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: music and edge

Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-fool View Post
    Well i'd like to place myself here as example.
    I listen some hardcore bands, never went to a show though.
    But i also listen other kinds of music, for example Johny Cash.
    Cant call him very hardcore, so according to your explaination i
    cant be edge just 'cause i listen to something else then hardcore?
    no one ever said that hardcore is the only music that edge kids should listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    where is there a hardcore scene devoid of edge kids and never has edge bands play?This statement also contradicts your earlier post?
    My hometown is where you can find that. We have tons of hardcore bands. . . well subgenre knockoffs and little kids who play breakdowns and call themselves, "tuff," but the closest thing we have to edge kids are the Christian Hardcore bands, and their fans, well. . . they don't practice what they or their favorite band preaches.<br><br>When I really think about edge and it's connection to hardcore and punk I think about the aggression that comes to not having fixes. With the hardcore scene you can let it all out in the sing alongs and the pits, and in an odd way it fills in for the drugs and shit in a more constructive manner. When you're at a genuine show you get helped up in the pit and it's like an estranged band of brothers and sisters, but when you're in a town like mine the pits consist of some younger kids two stepping and the tool that came with touring band pushing someone into them to because he thinks they make him look bad. So I get my fix at Indie shows. I guess it's because the pits here are always shitty, but singing your heart out with your favorite sloppy raw indie band lets out a lot too. And that's what it's about right? Being straightxedge is being drug free and channeling what you have to say about it back out through music? Even if I'm wrong about I won't think of myself as not straightxedge. Because calling myself drug free makes me feel like a speaker at an elementary school who's in community service for possesion of the product and isn't gonna change. Straightxedge has meaning and power behind it, and it lets people know what I'm about.

Quote Originally Posted by xsleepingxsunrisex View Post
    My hometown is where you can find that. We have tons of hardcore bands. . . well subgenre knockoffs and little kids who play breakdowns and call themselves, "tuff," but the closest thing we have to edge kids are the Christian Hardcore bands, and their fans, well. . . they don't practice what they or their favorite band preaches.<br><br>When I really think about edge and it's connection to hardcore and punk I think about the aggression that comes to not having fixes. With the hardcore scene you can let it all out in the sing alongs and the pits, and in an odd way it fills in for the drugs and shit in a more constructive manner. When you're at a genuine show you get helped up in the pit and it's like an estranged band of brothers and sisters, but when you're in a town like mine the pits consist of some younger kids two stepping and the tool that came with touring band pushing someone into them to because he thinks they make him look bad. So I get my fix at Indie shows. I guess it's because the pits here are always shitty, but singing your heart out with your favorite sloppy raw indie band lets out a lot too. And that's what it's about right? Being straightxedge is being drug free and channeling what you have to say about it back out through music? Even if I'm wrong about I won't think of myself as not straightxedge. Because calling myself drug free makes me feel like a speaker at an elementary school who's in community service for possesion of the product and isn't gonna change. Straightxedge has meaning and power behind it, and it lets people know what I'm about.
    yeah but if you're not into hardcore, then how does it really describe you?

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    yeah but if you're not into hardcore, then how does it really describe you?
    Well it's not really that I'm not into hardcore because I love it. I just go through music phases a lot of the time and a lot of the heavier stuff I listen too I find out more and more is just subgenre stuff and not really hardcore. It really is awesome to go to a good hardcore show, but to go to good ones I'd have to go to Chicago or Indianapolis a lot and gas is expensive. So I sort of settle for what I can get. Chicago is four hours north and Indy is an hour and half to the east. So until I get a job and off on the right foot I can only get to the good shows on rare occasions. But the indie bands in Terre Haute are the closest thing I can get to a raw, and releasing show.

The heavy shows in Terre Haute that have good pits are bands that sound like (or even cover) Job For a Cowboy, and that I really am not down with.

Quote Originally Posted by xCrucialDudex View Post
    Hell if I go to death metal or heavy metal show. I don't like the genres much, so why should I go to these shows only because there are no hxc ones???

Id rather put my headphones on and go skating than that.
    I second that. I went to a nile show once just because there was nothing to do...i left really angry i spent 20 bucks after the 2nd band. Dont just do something to do it. Do it because youre passionate about it.

And no, I really dont think you can claim edge without being at least a very passionate hardcore enthusiast. Main argument being that the term was born out of hardcore and wouldnt exist without it. I actually think its kind of disrespectful to claim edge with no link to hardcore. It like basically saying that you didnt care enough about it to learn about its roots. Like kids that are all under the impression that a band is only a hardcore band if they droptune their instruments to A and play nothing but breakdowns. A lot of these kids claim edge and dont even have a clue who ian mackaye is.

Sure draw x's on your hands and write true till death on everything but at the end of the day if you dont know where it came from then its got no meaning. then its just an x and a slogan.

Thread Information