Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: music and edge

music and edge

It's pretty obvious how I feel about it. but I've been thinking today. If you think that straight edge has "evolved" out of hardcore and become something else, what is it then? What is this new version of straight edge and what does it mean? Is it just a bunch of beliefs? And if it is, then how is that any different from drug free and why/where/how did it turn into just beliefs?

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    If you think that straight edge has "evolved" out of hardcore and become something else, what is it then? What is this new version of straight edge and what does it mean? Is it just a bunch of beliefs? And if it is, then how is that any different from drug free and why/where/how did it turn into just beliefs?
    It helps one become conscious. First off, drug free. Further on, I think those who can see the good side of this go even farther and apply consciousness to almost each part of their lives. Seriously, what I experienced was exactly what I said: it helps me get more and more conscious about many things of my life, primarily about myself. From that perspective, sXe "evolves out of hardcore" and becomes a very useful "bunch of beliefs".

This is only a positive side-effect of sXe, yet consciousness isn't really supposed to be gained with any particular thing in the world. If it's a book for you or say a specific person in your life - that's all the same. Someone picks up a book that changes his or her life, someone gets into sXe.

Well, like that.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrue till deathx
    It helps one become conscious. First off, drug free. Further on, I think those who can see the good side of this go even farther and apply consciousness to almost each part of their lives. Seriously, what I experienced was exactly what I said: it helps me get more and more conscious about many things of my life, primarily about myself. From that perspective, sXe "evolves out of hardcore" and becomes a very useful "bunch of beliefs".

This is only a positive side-effect of sXe, yet consciousness isn't really supposed to be gained with any particular thing in the world. If it's a book for you or say a specific person in your life - that's all the same. Someone picks up a book that changes his or her life, someone gets into sXe.

Well, like that.
    this doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah surely thats not straightedge once its evolved, its starting point may have began at straightedge but you finding yourself thinking about and questioning other aspects of your life doesn't get encompassed by the definition of straightedge. Unless theres some new definition, i apply consciousness to areas of my life from finance to study, i don't believe straightedge is at play there but i don't believe it to be the root of my consciousness. I mean if i drank a beer would i not still apply consciousness? Sure straightedge illustrates a sensible life choice and you can say other life choices can follow this order but does a sensible choice make it straightedge? Its like you evolve to be you and straightedge doesn't describe all of those evoloutions you have made even if it did help spark them in some way.

Well, like that.
    It doesn't really show straightedge evolving out of hardcore though? I mean if you get into straightedge then sure your life will be effected by it but this doesn't describe some new straightedge that is more than just drug free but not involved in hardcore. I mean how would you describe a belief set that has evolved out of hardcore and become something else?
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

the way i've always heard it is that straight edge is a drug free life style surrounding hardcore music. just bieng drug free doesn't make you straight edge, rite?

xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yaslmiri
    the way i've always heard it is that straight edge is a drug free life style surrounding hardcore music. just bieng drug free doesn't make you straight edge, rite?

Thats right.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

i was straight edge before i realy knew bout sxe i thought i was the only one that didnt want drugs i didnt know there was a music scene for sxe untill i heard early hardcore bands chanting sxe i was like wow its found me im not alone in this world

Quote Originally Posted by hxcsxe
    i was straight edge before i realy knew bout sxe i thought i was the only one that didnt want drugs i didnt know there was a music scene for sxe untill i heard early hardcore bands chanting sxe i was like wow its found me im not alone in this world
    yeah but the point is that you can't be straight edge without knowing about it. you can be drug free, but straight edge is a specific subculture that you are an active part of.

then, there's no straight-edge stripped of hardcore, that's another thing, very similar to it, perhaps influenced by straight-edge but it's not straight-edge in terms. Right?

then, there's no straight-edge stripped of hardcore, that's another thing, very similar to it, perhaps influenced by straight-edge but it's not straight-edge in terms. Right?
    yeah but then you're still back in the same trap, how can you be influenced by straight edge without hardcore?

yeah but then you're still back in the same trap, how can you be influenced by straight edge without hardcore?
    Well, you imply following (Ill paraphrase you, correct me if I got you wrong) "how can you be influenced by straight edge without being involved into hardcore scene". Is that right?

What I mean is that roughly we could classify influence into two types:
    1. hardcore scene, i.e. active participation in the scene life and development;
    2. musical influence, i.e. simply plain one's relation to straight edge is limited to person's admiration of hardcore music, but he/she isn't a part of the movement.

1 - straight edge
    2 - not straight edge

in terms.
    Which is fairly right, I think.

So, back to one of your first questions, straight edge can't be talked about as evolved out of hardcore just because many people got influenced by (1, 2 ... n) reasons.

Speaking in terms.

Well, you imply following (Ill paraphrase you, correct me if I got you wrong) "how can you be influenced by straight edge without being involved into hardcore scene". Is that right?

What I mean is that roughly we could classify influence into two types:
    1. hardcore scene, i.e. active participation in the scene life and development;
    2. musical influence, i.e. simply plain one's relation to straight edge is limited to person's admiration of hardcore music, but he/she isn't a part of the movement.

1 - straight edge
    2 - not straight edge

in terms.
    Which is fairly right, I think.

So, back to one of your first questions, straight edge can't be talked about as evolved out of hardcore just because many people got influenced by (1, 2 ... n) reasons.

Speaking in terms.
    no, I didn't say scene on purpose. What you're describing is still influence based on music. You can't talk about straight edge without the music, because it's what makes it unique. This is also why I can't see how you can influenced by straight edge, not drug free, without the music.

no, I didn't say scene on purpose. What you're describing is still influence based on music. You can't talk about straight edge without the music, because it's what makes it unique. This is also why I can't see how you can influenced by straight edge, not drug free, without the music.
    i agree with u on this one, people see straight edge as just kids who dont drink do drugs and have sex which isnt it. people who think this just say there straight edge because they just decide not to do these things. in order to be actaully straight edge, music and the straight edge "scene" is what makes you that.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx=
    This is also why I can't see how you can influenced by straight edge, not drug free, without the music.
    Agree, that's like saying "I'm a cosmonaut" because I've only got a full-pressure suit in the closet. That is, n-o-n-e-s-e--n-s-e.

no, I didn't say scene on purpose. What you're describing is still influence based on music. You can't talk about straight edge without the music,
    On the 1st page of sxe.com you say that you can't be regarded a straight-edger if you never been to show and such things. Though that piece of message is more of literary type rather than factual.

On the 1st page of sxe.com you say that you can't be regarded a straight-edger if you never been to show and such things. Though that piece of message is more of literary type rather than factual.
    which is to get the point across more bluntly. If you're into the music and there's no scene around you then yeah you've got a better idea of things than someone who's never listened to an edge band, but you still don't have a full understanding of it yet. That was said specifically to people who say shit like "hell yeah I'm straight edge, I love it, I've been edge forever! I fucking hate hardcore!" Who honestly have no idea what they're calling themselves and I still can't figure out why someone who hates hardcore would say that they were straight edge.

Thread Information