Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: music and edge

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    yeah but the point is that you can't be straight edge without knowing about it. you can be drug free, but straight edge is a specific subculture that you are an active part of.
    This I question to a point though. What if there is a kid who has the internet, that has loved hardcore all of his life. And claims to be edge, but has no scene to be "active" with straight-edge, and the subculture in a sense. I mean yeah, he could make a scene, or a whatever, but is he NOT edge, because there is no scene, or place where this person might live that has any kind of active sxe anything, weather it be shows, or a group of hardcore friends who are straight-edge. Is he not edge, because he has nothing around him to be "active" about it. This question might be confusing, but answer if you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyX
    This I question to a point though. What if there is a kid who has the internet, that has loved hardcore all of his life. And claims to be edge, but has no scene to be "active" with straight-edge, and the subculture in a sense. I mean yeah, he could make a scene, or a whatever, but is he NOT edge, because there is no scene, or place where this person might live that has any kind of active sxe anything, weather it be shows, or a group of hardcore friends who are straight-edge. Is he not edge, because he has nothing around him to be "active" about it. This question might be confusing, but answer if you understand.
    if you're not an active participant, then how are you part of a subculture? I could be bald, really love checker things and oi music, would that make me a skinhead?

I also don't think that there is really a place on earth now where there aren't at least some kids doing something.

xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    if you're not an active participant, then how are you part of a subculture? I could be bald, really love checker things and oi music, would that make me a skinhead?

I also don't think that there is really a place on earth now where there aren't at least some kids doing something.

You could be bald???????? Haha sorry man!
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

There are actually many places. I understand where your coming from, but I still think that someone should be able to claim edge if they want, weather or not they have other people around them, a subculture, doing it also. I'am straight-edge, and if every human being on the face of this earth died....would that make me not edge anymore? would that make you not edge anymore? just because there isn't a subculture to be active with now?

There are actually many places. I understand where your coming from, but I still think that someone should be able to claim edge if they want, weather or not they have other people around them, a subculture, doing it also. I'am straight-edge, and if every human being on the face of this earth died....would that make me not edge anymore? would that make you not edge anymore? just because there isn't a subculture to be active with now?
    dude, if there are active scenes in most countries in the world now, I seriously doubt it. Straight edge is more than the beliefs. If you're actively a part of something, then what's the point claiming straight edge, if you're just a single person, alone?

from the deep south.
    dude, if there are active scenes in most countries in the world now, I seriously doubt it. Straight edge is more than the beliefs. If you're actively a part of something, then what's the point claiming straight edge, if you're just a single person, alone?
    I don't exactly know what joey is trying to debate but me coming from a place with a terrible misconception of hardcore and straight edge I do feel you can actively be a part of things simply by buying records, wearing merch and being able to relate to the music. Here in my part of Australia you get to see about 5-8 good straight edge bands play each year usually having to travel long distances to see them. Any edge band from my state is a terrible joke that plays the usual dumbshit militant mosh metal which I do not really want to support or be around. Although not the same feeling as being there at a show, I do feel getting siked on the music and the message can still count as being part of it. Maybe I am just stating the obvious here though.

I pride myself on being straight edge, it's what I'am, it's my belief, the point of claiming straight edge weather it be alone or be with a subculture, is about being loyal to your beliefs, having the love of saying, "I'm straight edge", weather nobody hears it, or a million people hear it. I love the fact that I'm straight edge, weather people are around to know it or not, the point of claiming edge is because I believe anything else is wrong, weather anybody would believe me or not.....I mean, yeah it is pointless to walk around and be like "I'm edge" if I'm just a single person, but it's not pointless to BE edge, if you're a single person(as in, no subculture around you). However, I would like to point out that I'am in a hardcore "scene", I'am active, I'm just debating with you about this, I'm not like a person who has no scene or subculture. Because I actually have a lot of friends who ARE edge, and who are active also within straight edge.

For example, what if, now this is a BIG what if, but just say, everybody in this entire world, thought you were a complete idiot or thought you were wrong for being straight edge....would that mean your not straight edge because you have no subculture around you to believe what you believe, or to be active with you within straight edge? My point is, I'm straight edge, and weather or not there is a subculture around me that believes the same as me, I'm still gonna be straight edge, nobody can change that.
    Last edited by JoeyX; 01-21-2008 at 07:27 AM.

I pride myself on being straight edge, it's what I'am, it's my belief, the point of claiming straight edge weather it be alone or be with a subculture, is about being loyal to your beliefs, having the love of saying, "I'm straight edge", weather nobody hears it, or a million people hear it. I love the fact that I'm straight edge, weather people are around to know it or not, the point of claiming edge is because I believe anything else is wrong, weather anybody would believe me or not.....I mean, yeah it is pointless to walk around and be like "I'm edge" if I'm just a single person, but it's not pointless to BE edge, if you're a single person(as in, no subculture around you). However, I would like to point out that I'am in a hardcore "scene", I'am active, I'm just debating with you about this, I'm not like a person who has no scene or subculture. Because I actually have a lot of friends who ARE edge, and who are active also within straight edge.

For example, what if, now this is a BIG what if, but just say, everybody in this entire world, thought you were a complete idiot or thought you were wrong for being straight edge....would that mean your not straight edge because you have no subculture around you to believe what you believe, or to be active with you within straight edge? My point is, I'm straight edge, and weather or not there is a subculture around me that believes the same as me, I'm still gonna be straight edge, nobody can change that.

yeah, but the entire point is, that straight edge is the subculture, and you're only straight edge, if you're a part of it. So if the subculture ceased to exist, then you couldn't be straight edge, because the term and it's meaning wouldn't exist. A person alone is just drug free, a group of people are straight edge.

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    how about a dispersed group of people?

yeah, but the entire point is, that straight edge is the subculture, and you're only straight edge, if you're a part of it. So if the subculture ceased to exist, then you couldn't be straight edge, because the term and it's meaning wouldn't exist. A person alone is just drug free, a group of people are straight edge.
    I get what your saying more now. See I guess I never really saw it like that, but yea that is true, that the meaning of straight edge has the subculture in it. I honestly get what you mean now haha.

What if someone was raised upon country music as a child? So they spent their whole lives listening to it. At some point they got into drugs, got addicted, but then heard aboutstraightedge but only wanted to better themselves, get off drugs, and claim edge. Could they not take on the title because they didn't like hardcore? Only because they were raised upon country.

Quote Originally Posted by XalcoholsucksX View Post
    What if someone was raised upon country music as a child? So they spent their whole lives listening to it. At some point they got into drugs, got addicted, but then heard aboutstraightedge but only wanted to better themselves, get off drugs, and claim edge. Could they not take on the title because they didn't like hardcore? Only because they were raised upon country.
    if they don't have any involvement with hardcore, then they wouldn't be straight edge, that's kind of the point, straight edge is a music based subculture, it's not just about being drug free.

But what if somebody as a child was raised upon country music let's say. How about they get into drugs at 15, but then hear about straightedge at 17. They really wanna be a part of the movement to better themselves, but they don't like hardcore because it's not what they grew up on. Can they not take of the edge just because they don't like hardcore music?

Quote Originally Posted by XalcoholsucksX View Post
    But what if somebody as a child was raised upon country music let's say. How about they get into drugs at 15, but then hear about straightedge at 17. They really wanna be a part of the movement to better themselves, but they don't like hardcore because it's not what they grew up on. Can they not take of the edge just because they don't like hardcore music?
    I don't think you really understand what a music based subculture is. Hardcore has as much to do with what makes someone straight edge as being drug free does. The music is the medium for the message. It's the how people meet and how ideas are shared. If you're in a new city, pretty much anywhere in the world, go find a hardcore show and chances are someone there will be straight edge. I've never understood why someone would choose to call themselves straight edge, if they didn't like hardcore music, since to really understand what straight edge is and where it came from, you'd have to really look into hardcore music and the scene that straight edge came from.

Well i'd like to place myself here as example.
    I listen some hardcore bands, never went to a show though.
    But i also listen other kinds of music, for example Johny Cash.
    Cant call him very hardcore, so according to your explaination i
    cant be edge just 'cause i listen to something else then hardcore?

Thread Information